PML's 1-er

Re: PML's 1-er

Anyone bought the 125 coupe? M still hesitating.

Some interesting comparative reviews between the BMW 130i and the VW R32 in the VAG forums:

REVIEW #1

Based on my test drives of the 130i Hatch / 125i Coupe and the R32 this week, here are my thoughts:

I will restrict comparision between the two hatches.
The 125i coupe, having a de-tuned 3.0L engine is just not the same - does not have the same grunt and pull, ultimately feeling 'straight-jacketted' at top RPMs ... more of a boulevard cruiser, IMHO. But it is a very well balanced car alright. Look-wise, somehow the 125i's back remind me of the Honda City ... put side by side, the 130i Hatch's look draws on your attention a little bit more.

OK, now for the 130i Tiptronic vs R32 DSG compario.

Acceleration - Launch
Both are rated at 6.2 secs on 0-100 on paper.
But the R32 growls loudly, making it 'sound' faster. Exhaust note is one helluva din.
Its more-direct gear-on-gear engagement feels more 'connected' and sounds more 'mechanical'.

The 130i, while just as fast, feels more refined and smoother. Exhaust note, while loud, is relatively muted, when compared to the even-louder R32. As typical of Tiptronic viscous couplings, it tends to sound less mechanical too (i.e., feels vibrationally smoother when accelerating hard).

Rolling Acceleration
When I rolled the R32 at a slow speed (10~20 km/h) and then pedal-to-metal, there was a momentary lapse before the DSG connects and jerks forward. But once the DSG realizes what's happening and kicks in, its power all the way. Now, I wasn't sure if I had confused the DSG, thinking that I was slowing down to a stop and was therefore downshifting to '1' already on the next clutch and then suddenly seeing RPMs shoot up to 5,000+, or what.

For the 130i, rolling acceleration was per norm as what you would expect from automatic trannies, and it just picks up speed more instanteneously, without any jerk and was pretty linear.

Steering and Handling
Both cars have electrically-assisted power steering. Too bad the BMW 1-er does not come with hydraulic-PS (like its bigger bretherens). And this is where I find it interesting. On straights, the 130i's steering feels well weighted (in fact, even more than the 125i Coupe). However, when the car is brought to tortuous B-roads (I tested it along Rifle Range Road), the steering tended to feel slightly over-sensitive if you push the car too hard ... giving the drive a sense of a slight understeer on the extremes. This of course, psychologically, make you wanna slow down a bit upon entering a tight bend at speed. Perhaps I should have disengaged the ESP, but then for safety reasons, this should not be done on a day-to-day driving basis. I somehow did not get this feeling with the last RWD I owned along the same stretch of road, at about the same speed regimes - but then, the IS200 has got both F/R on double-wishbones suspensions with hydraulic-PS, which could have made the difference. Having said that, the 130i comes standard with M3 suspension kit, with lowered springs and all.

For the R32, I was not able to bring the car to Rifle Range Road, but all the same, tested it along Jervois Road. The Haldex AWD gave a much more neutral handling and VAG's implementation of its electro-mechanical PS feels more weightier - which overall, gives a much better sense of composure, and thus confidence to the driver, round fast tight bends.

But having said that, steering feel and handling aside, the 130i feels more F/R balanced, when compared to the R32's slightly nose-heavy skew (no thanks to the heavier, cast-iron block VR6 engine).

Interior
The fascia of the 130i is typical BMW, switches, with orange lighting and all. The air-cond controls are knobs and not the usual climate control switches. The 130i comes with M3 kit and the steering wheel was chunky (good). The leather seats and door panels were of good quality and so were the soft-touch plastics. Seat adjustments are all-manual for driver and passenger.

The R32 on the other hand has a unique blue lighted instrument panel, which looks real cool. Recaro-type leather seats are snug ... but somehow, VW's plastics used are more 'brittle', no different from the lesser Golfs. Strangely enough, the 5-dr R32 has got electrical-powered driver's seat, but the 3-dr version is all manual adjustments!

I didn't like/want the sunroof that comes standard on the R32 and was told that I could specially indent one without, but will only enjoy a discount of $1K. Now that would mean the OMV cost of a sunroof is only SGD300 or thereabouts (applying the 2.28 factor). This I think is VAG's pulling a fast one, to try to discourage special indents. Only $1K savings w/o a sunroof? Come on!

Exterior
The 130i's outlook is OK for a hatch - at least it looks better than the 5-dr 118i hatch. Somehow the 5-dr hatch looks imbalanced to me (not nice). But other than that, everything about the 130i from the 'C'-pillar forward is typical BMW. However, since this is the first time that we have had a BMW hatchback in SG (discounting the earlier 3-er, which was really a fast-back design, not really a hatch), therein lies the 130i's less-common shape/look that will strike the public's eye, until more and more 1-er hatches proliferate our roads.

The R32's blue brake callipers and twin-central exhaust tips will definitely be a talking point and perhaps, become a classic icon in the years to come ... especially if it comes in the unique blue color that no other golf comes spec'd in. But other than that, and the silver trimmed front grille, the R32 looks like any other Golf on the road. Will it really stand out? Perhaps, but only if its spec'd in blue and hopefully its audible rendition will help too.

Why I think the R32 is a better car?
- Haldex AWD, better traction overall, neutral handling
- Cast-iron block VR6 engine (will pass all-aluminium blocks, for now)
- Non-FSI / Non-Valvetronic (a tested engine - less worries of longer-term vibrational issues)
- Double-wishbones-type rear suspension with the Focus' control-blade-equivalent.

Why I should listen to my head, to buy the 130i?
- Costs $150K list (vs R32 at $162K - 5-dr)
- Higher OMV at $44K ($40-42K for R32)
- Lower depreciation (due lower price and higher OMV)
- Lower road tax (R32's tax is at a higher bracket)
- Better brand image

REVIEW #2

Was at the BMW 1 Series driving Experience today (OK, the real reason was to drive Roxanne on the 3 km private road stretch and hit the rev limiter).

But these were my impressions - we drove the 118/120/125 and 130. The last time I drove the R32 was some time back, so I have to dig deep into my memory for comparison.
You either like or hate the shape of the 1 series. Personally, I think it looks a tad disproportionate.
Build quality of the 1 series was good, but not as impressive as that of an Audi. But since we're comparing 130 with R32, it looks more understated, less "in your face" compared with the R32. [There was a 135 on display that was fully kitted with carbon fibre undertray diffuser, front lip, sports bucket seats, carbon fibre wing mirrors. Looks really sweet (except for the brown-red color). Oh yes, the kit would cost you around 40 grand.]
The 130 makes a sweet creamy engine note. The inline 6 sings. But the R32's V6 has a more intoxicating exhaust note.
The R32 is a tad nose heavy, but the 130 is nicely balanced (the instructor told us it was 50/50). So driving hard through slow chicanes and switching directions was quite nice.
130's is a tad understeery.
My critique on the handling is that the ESP (can't remember the exact initials for BMW) kicks in too soon. There was a nice sweeper as part of the autokhana course. The track was damp at places (but still plenty of grip). However, at parts, the 130 was struggling with traction and the ESP kicked in very quickly, cutting power. I switched off ESP at another run and it was better. I am sure that the 4motion would make the R32 more planted.
Brakes were adequate, but again the ABS intervened too eagerly, I thought.
Space seems a tad small. R32 is bigger.
Overall, it's a sweet drive, but the RWD drivetrain, whilst sweet, was struggling for grip at places. The R32 would have just swallowed ground.

I recall that when i test drove the R32, my reaction was wow, what a sweet exhaust note. It intoxicates you and makes you want to rev it again and again and again.

My reaction on the 130 was that, Ok, this is a sweet drive. But it somehow doesn't quite touch my motoring emotions as much as the R32 did.

The 135 would be pretty interesting - but all that torque on an RWD platform - when the 130 was struggling on the rears - would be an issue for me.

Overall, the driving experience was fun. We drove the 118/120 (don't bother) and the 125/130 twice each, and then had a timed trial on the 130. The event was a far cry from the slick and impressive Audi A4 launch, but it was fun nonetheless.

Oh and on the drive back along Changi coastal road, 2 of the insructors driving the 130 had some frindly fun with Roxanne .

Got my 125 coupe. a really nice car.... now to see who can bring it to its original glory. ala 130 specs.

wui525;340288 said:
Anyone bought the 125 coupe? M still hesitating.

why the hesitation? I loved the engine purr, honestly feel it's sufficient power for singapore roads. Seats are sweet, only thing lacking are the electric adjustment feature. Space wise, there's enough room for another 2 in the back when you really need it.

What stopped me from signing on the dotted line was the spec PML was bringing in. Was told I'd have to wait a few months if I indent with all the options i wanted like alcantra roof liner, sunroof etc. So went with another model that was already in stock.

beemerluv;343783 said:
Got my 125 coupe. a really nice car.... now to see who can bring it to its original glory. ala 130 specs.

Congrats on Your New Ride !!!!
Happy & Safe Driving.

hi Beemerluv,

If you succeed in converting your 125i to 130i prowess..then I will glady join you. Although it may seem to me that besides ECU mapping, you need to change the intake manifold to 3 stage type.

dont think so... actually, I am thinking of selling my 125 already and aiming for the 135.... been enjoying the 125 alot though... anyone keen on my 1 month old 125?

i tested the 120 cab yesterday. i am in love with bmw again. top down driving feels liberating. but the 2 litre 4 pot has no grunt....still i din really feel like driving fast with the roof down effect.

can someone point me to a PI who is selling the 125i cab, 130i cab or 135i cab?

keen on one....

watch out ur hairline...........baldsche says one.

Thought the 1 series fever has passed, but the roadshow at Raffles Place seems to light it up again.

So far our dear 1-series owners, any feedback from your car ?

Anybody still thinking about it ??

So far, have seen a few 125i and 120i cab. 1 118i but no 130i. I like the 130i more but quite clearly, the favourite is the 120i and come selling time, I think that will be easier to dispose.

Am thinking of getting one too. So far any complaints? Any issues with golf bag (sorry only if u golf). Tks.

golf bag should be ok into the trunk...im driving a 1series Cab
cheers!! hamz

vone;339145 said:
Hey Tomei & Hamz!

I got my Alpine White 120i today!!!! ( coral red interior, antracite roof)

Gonna install a bluetooth display kit first thing. Thinking of the parrot, but not sure if I feel safe letting pin liang ppl install the parrot kit..... R they ok installers with the new 1 series?

BTW called them up and said that they will have to install a speaker with the parrot kit and will take 2 hrs...considering between this and the nokia one..

Rims wise I think we have to wait ... our offset is quite different from the rest...BMW performance 18" estimated to be ard SGD5-6K

Hi Bro Vone,

I am also thinking of getting the 120i Cabrio. Test drove it and just felt that it had no grunt and lacks a bit of power, esp when trying to overtake. I am sure you love it to bits, but anything to watch out for before committing?

tks!
redsmike

hamz;377419 said:
golf bag should be ok into the trunk...im driving a 1series Cab
cheers!! hamz

Bro Hamz,
Tks for the quick reply. Just curious, any issues with power? I guess it also depends on what u use to drive. Haiz..... really dilemma, cos I had originally decided on a S2000 Type S already (I am quite a Honda fan ... sorry to say this in a BMW forum :) ), but the S2K wldnt be able to take my kids in the back, and not to mention, golf bags may be a problem. Now still contemplating .....

redsmike

bro, the cab is not a powerful ride, it's a lifestyle thingy..if you want power on the 1series, get yurself the 130i or 135i.....

hamz

Hi redsmike,

THe 120i cabrio saved me X02 times in 3 days with its fantastic lane change ability at 80kmh plus from idiots who don't signal when exiting from slow traffic.

Its not really the power that i crave, but the excellent handling. My heatbeat rate dosent even rise when i do emergency maneuveurs , in fact, its so nice inside, that i dont even horn much anymore, just SIAM and cary on your journey.

Corners at 80 plus KMH is a breeze... nothing scary abt it.. esp with the sports seats grabbing u...

I feel that while its 0-100KMH timing is nothing to shout about, it can really sound angry when you give it the revs, its hard to hide its little bit of "sportiness" which i enjoy every now and then. Then again, drive too fast , then who can admire your car?? :)

BTW, if you want speed every single day, pls choose the 135i or 130i

Anyway the car's a hit with my family members, will even light up my father-in-law's face when the top is down.

CHILL and drive my man, just drive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taya365blog

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back