over heating...........

Re: over heating...........

For PDC, it could be loose connection. Happen to ride b4.

Ur experience is not as scary as mine. My bleeding screw broke & water juz came shooting out in Malaysia.

Hi,

Sorry I posted here instead of a new thread, because somehow, I was restricted..??

Anyways, I got an overheating problem with my DEC 2003 318i E46. It started to notice it can easily overheat when I drove over 120-130km/h after 30mins average, especially on a hot day, it takes longer to heat up at night tho...

I have tried to flush the radiator, changed to a new cap and test for any leaking on the radiator... none.

after a few weeks, i noticed that my engine oil level is low, almost 1 liter!!! So, currently I have to top up every 5 weeks or so... :(

If I drove at constant speed 110, it is fine... but when i suddenly floor it and revved up till redline for a couple of secs (overtaking other cars) hmm.. then temp will increase slowly....

if i drove at cruising speed in the city, not too long.. and when i get back i noticed that the radiator is missing about half a cup to 1 cup of water. Do note that I never over fill nor underfill....

water pump is working.... since the temp is okay at ignition, or when engine is left idle. Fan are working fine, at idle, when i put my hands at the front grille, I can feel the air suction...

I ran out of idea to troubleshoot... any ideas to bump???

Mukhriz

mukhriz;548150 said:
Hi,

Sorry I posted here instead of a new thread, because somehow, I was restricted..??

Anyways, I got an overheating problem with my DEC 2003 318i E46. It started to notice it can easily overheat when I drove over 120-130km/h after 30mins average, especially on a hot day, it takes longer to heat up at night tho...

I have tried to flush the radiator, changed to a new cap and test for any leaking on the radiator... none.

after a few weeks, i noticed that my engine oil level is low, almost 1 liter!!! So, currently I have to top up every 5 weeks or so... :(

If I drove at constant speed 110, it is fine... but when i suddenly floor it and revved up till redline for a couple of secs (overtaking other cars) hmm.. then temp will increase slowly....

if i drove at cruising speed in the city, not too long.. and when i get back i noticed that the radiator is missing about half a cup to 1 cup of water. Do note that I never over fill nor underfill....

water pump is working.... since the temp is okay at ignition, or when engine is left idle. Fan are working fine, at idle, when i put my hands at the front grille, I can feel the air suction...

I ran out of idea to troubleshoot... any ideas to bump???

Mukhriz

Checked your thermostat?

thermostat is fine... if the thermostat is bluffing, how come I'm losing water and engine oil?? :(

I also noticed that no effect if I turned off the A/C when it started to overheat...

Mukhriz,

My best guess is your head gasket burnt. What you have describe is a typical scenario of head gasket issue. It happened when your car overheated for sometimes and you may not realise it. You may asked the workshop to do a compression test using special tools. If it is confirmed, it may burn some big cash from your wallet to fix it. Good luck.

p/s As for my e39 M54B25 overheating issue. Mechanic has changed the thermostat and water pump. Problem persist. Told him to check the clutch fan. He said it seems to be ok. I realise water level in expansion tank drop significantly everyday. He check the hoses and found out there are leaking on 2 hoses. Change both and I have been driving for 2 days in heavy traffic without problem now. Finger cross !

Last edited by a moderator:

i thought about it too, but I just cant understand the logic how water can evaporate so much, even if I have gasket burnt... sure did explained the engine oil level...

But I will try to bring my car to a mechanic next week, thanks! :)

I guess it's just my turn to leech off this thread haha.

i have a 3 yr old 320i, and when i start the car up and drive around, everything's ok. after a while, the fan or something giving a fan noise starts coming up from my engine compartment, so loud until i sit inside my car with windows close can also hear the "vheeeeeeng" sound from the fan. when u hear from outside its like an aeroplane engine noise -.- ok la not so loud, but u get the idea. it's too loud for a normal car. it's not the aircon fan as i turned off the air-con but the fan noise is just as loud. there was no loud fan noise when i had the car for the past 2 years ++.

so here's what's next. I bring to PML for at least 5++ times liao. from before warranty over until now past a few months after warranty still havent solve the problem. first time they say radiator got fault, which makes sense since maybe engine too hot then fan need to blow faster (is it?). ok fine that was before warranty over, FOC change of whole radiator. but then when i drove back, the next day problem still there. so send back, they said dunno what's the problem. after that few days i was too busy, so had to use the car. i send again after maybe 1 month? they say computer say no problem. so i figured, they may not see the problem since the car doesnt have the problem until after a while of driving then the noise will come up, so i sent again and told them. then after a week of sitting in their workshop, they said got some problem with air-con pump and dunno what, charge me $800 cos no warranty.

the next day, there was STILL the loud fan noise -.-. i told them once the noise come up, i'll bring in and show them. they said ok, so i brought it in and they had their mechanics ready. i left the car there for 1 day, and they replied saying nothing wrong, just the fan sensor a bit off and think the car overheating so make the fan blow faster. !!!! then last time i change the aircon stuff for $800 was for what?

but GUESS WHAT?!?!? the stupid fan noise is STILL THERE after about 30 mins of driving. seriously, any of you out there ever faced this stupid problem before? If not everyday i drive around i also scared the car suddenly catch fire -.-

i asked around in MCF, and they said to check fan bearing if it's loose, or see if one of the fan is spoilt, or see if the thermostat is set correctly if the fan has 2 speed. Also, one of them suggested checking the radiator cowling for any air bubbles. are these the only few problems that could cause the fan noise to be so loud? or are there any more problems?

dallii;584141 said:
I guess it's just my turn to leech off this thread haha.

i have a 3 yr old 320i, and when i start the car up and drive around, everything's ok. after a while, the fan or something giving a fan noise starts coming up from my engine compartment, so loud until i sit inside my car with windows close can also hear the "vheeeeeeng" sound from the fan. when u hear from outside its like an aeroplane engine noise -.- ok la not so loud, but u get the idea. it's too loud for a normal car. it's not the aircon fan as i turned off the air-con but the fan noise is just as loud. there was no loud fan noise when i had the car for the past 2 years ++.

so here's what's next. I bring to PML for at least 5++ times liao. from before warranty over until now past a few months after warranty still havent solve the problem. first time they say radiator got fault, which makes sense since maybe engine too hot then fan need to blow faster (is it?). ok fine that was before warranty over, FOC change of whole radiator. but then when i drove back, the next day problem still there. so send back, they said dunno what's the problem. after that few days i was too busy, so had to use the car. i send again after maybe 1 month? they say computer say no problem. so i figured, they may not see the problem since the car doesnt have the problem until after a while of driving then the noise will come up, so i sent again and told them. then after a week of sitting in their workshop, they said got some problem with air-con pump and dunno what, charge me $800 cos no warranty.

the next day, there was STILL the loud fan noise -.-. i told them once the noise come up, i'll bring in and show them. they said ok, so i brought it in and they had their mechanics ready. i left the car there for 1 day, and they replied saying nothing wrong, just the fan sensor a bit off and think the car overheating so make the fan blow faster. !!!! then last time i change the aircon stuff for $800 was for what?

but GUESS WHAT?!?!? the stupid fan noise is STILL THERE after about 30 mins of driving. seriously, any of you out there ever faced this stupid problem before? If not everyday i drive around i also scared the car suddenly catch fire -.-

i asked around in MCF, and they said to check fan bearing if it's loose, or see if one of the fan is spoilt, or see if the thermostat is set correctly if the fan has 2 speed. Also, one of them suggested checking the radiator cowling for any air bubbles. are these the only few problems that could cause the fan noise to be so loud? or are there any more problems?

Bring to any of the sponsor workshops; R2D, BVO, J4C, etc. They are much better than PML for things like this.

pengful;584242 said:
Bring to any of the sponsor workshops; R2D, BVO, J4C, etc. They are much better than PML for things like this.

yeah i was planning to drop by R2D since it's around my area, or if i get to sin ming then BVO or boss motorsports sometime soon (since they're all in the same area). I really had enough of this issue already.

Last edited by a moderator:

me new to the forum but seems like a lot of guys here are having problems with PML BIG TIME! I do believe site sponsors may be better trained or more accurate in arresting the problems at the bud. Why cant PML do the same??? maybe a lots of FTs there....ah tiong maybe??? (incase u guys asking what is ah tiong, ah tiong = tiong kok = china).

haha yes. they arent as good as they were last time. that's why im trying to shirt to site sponsors soon since warranty is over

mukhriz;548200 said:
i thought about it too, but I just cant understand the logic how water can evaporate so much, even if I have gasket burnt... sure did explained the engine oil level...

But I will try to bring my car to a mechanic next week, thanks! :)
sorry to dig, did you solve it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksum88

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back