N20 Timing Chain Issue

Flyer31

Has everyone here encountered the timing chain issue on the N20 engine before? This is where the timing chain guide fails and causes a catastrophe engine breakdown. This seems to be a much talked about issue for N20.

Anyone can share experience or done preventive measures on this issue?

Monitor the oil pressure - benchmark how far its away from setpoint.
Use BMW LL01 EO so that viscosity do not mess up the pressure
Monitor for sounds coming from the vanos
If doing a VCG - use the opportunity to check the vanos bolts torque and torque to yield specs are correct.

If doing a VCG - use the opportunity to check the vanos bolts torque and torque to yield specs are correct.

Hi Tony, thanks for the feedback. I have the following questions that I hope you can help to clarify.
  1. Can we monitor the oil pressure with the standard gauges we have in F10? I believe a special oil pressure gauge will be needed right?
  2. I have the impression that we should be using LL04 EO instead of LL01 because our fuel has low sulfur content. Am I correct?
  3. What is VCG? :)

Tony did not reply. I see. Maybe missed out.

Oil pressure can’t see from the car console. Only when problem will theee be an error code I believe.

I think both LL04 and LL01 can be used in Spore

LL-1 oils are for high sulfur content fuels - as in USA fuels.
LL-4 oil is for low sulfur content fuels - as in Germany/Europe fuels

VCG is valve cover gasket.
The vanos hub bolts have been know to shear and also break and also come out. So this is a good chance to check them before major damage.
Also the timing chain guides. And timing chain tensioner can be replaced without removal of any covers.

LL01 for Singapore.

LL04 is for countries outside of the EU.

LL04 can be used here but it has a much shorter OCI compared to LL01 - almost half.

Hmmm. We Did not do this when we took it out the 3rd time. Would
Be good if they can remember if we don’t

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hhanime3dcom

Latest posts

Back