Mods for a 3 litre 6cylinder engine

Tom

hi rex7 vtec:
you're not being descriptive.

please tell us which 3litre is it, the M54 3.0, the M30 3.0 or at least the model of the car? the E32 7series(730i) or the E46 3series(330i) the Z4 3.0, or the 530i...

there many stuff you can* do.
chipping
supercharging
turbocharging
induction
exhaust

just search the forum about mods, modified, modding, power, modifiecation and it should get you somewhere.

basically, an engine is an engine, it doesn't matter a jap piston engine or a continental piston engine, they work the same, it's the brands available that may be tricky.

Re: Mods for a 3 litre 6cylinder engine

rex7_vtec said:
Hey guys,

I would just like to know more about modding a 3litre engine. What parts are available? Something that is not too drastic like leaving the car in the workshop for 3-4weeks. Maybe something simple that can be acheived in 2 days.

I know about modding Jap cars... But when it comes to a N.A. 6 cylinder german technology car, I'm totally ignorant!

Cheers!

Hey bro,

Were you at last meet-up? Was hoping to catch a ride in your 330coupe!
Hmm... do you happed to be the one in the black 330.. ( you were there with your friend who also drove a prefacelift black 330).
;)

yes, the standard mods are all there. maybe you can take a look at the engine mods thread under Knowledge base.

Tom said:
hi rex7 vtec:

please tell us which 3litre is it, the M54 3.0, the M30 3.0 or at least the model of the car? the E32 7series(730i) or the E46 3series(330i) the Z4 3.0, or the 530i...

chipping
supercharging
turbocharging
induction
exhaust

just search the forum about mods, modified, modding, power, modifiecation and it should get you somewhere.

basically, an engine is an engine, it doesn't matter a jap piston engine or a continental piston engine, they work the same, it's the brands available that may be tricky.

Oops, sorry!

Its meant for a 330...
So lets say if I were interested in getting camshafts and probably headers. What would be a good recommendation? Are there ECUs that come pre-tuned or would you have to get someone in to fit the ECU and tune on the spot?

Cheers

SMYUEN said:
Hey bro,

Hmm... do you happed to be the one in the black 330.. ( you were there with your friend who also drove a prefacelift black 330).
;)

Hmmm I was'nt at the last meetup. However I think I did see you on the road sometime back, you were coming from the rear of the Taka traffic junction going towards Paragon with your top down... NICE!! :thumbsup:

Was it really you? The charming guy with glasses :wavey:

ok here is a list of power mods you can probably try for your engine:

UUC underdrive pullies $400
gruppe M Ram-air charger $1000
zhp cams $1800
remus or ss exhaust $1100
ecu chip or piggyback $700-1000
electric fan $800

light mods like voltage stabiliser $200, ecotek or venturi $220, iridium plugs $90, grounding $100.

you should be able to break 250bhp easy with these mods. easy sub 7 century sprint. and if you prepare everything, you can get all of the above done in a day. u might be able to push 260bhp if everything is done correctly.

stroking, out-boring, FI, nos will set you back at the garage for a week. cost of first 3 will be probably $8k to 15k. if you FI you should be able to get 350bhp, higher bhp than the m3.

you better give me a taxi ride when everything's done ok. :)

Forgive my ignorance but what is zhp?
Would a voltage stabiliser really work towards making the car faster and mor efuel efficient?

BWT what are the chances of the LTA approving installing a SC or TC in our cars?

rex7_vtec said:
SMYUEN said:
Hey bro,

;)

Hmmm I was'nt at the last meetup. However I think I did see you on the road sometime back, you were coming from the rear of the Taka traffic junction going towards Paragon with your top down... NICE!! :thumbsup:

Was it really you? The charming guy with glasses :wavey:

Haha.. charming? No lah.. Then you must be wrong. I probably look like a school kid with glasses! :laughlik: :laughlik: :laughlik:

Hmm..me always in and about taka leh. Dont know if it was my car you saw. If its facelifted cab in steel blue with grey seats and AC kit and rims then should be loh. If you see huge stickers at the side, chances are it would be me. (That's new tho, so if you caught me sometime back then probably no stickers yet..)

How come you didnt come meet-up?
:wavey:

jaskin said:
BWT what are the chances of the LTA approving installing a SC or TC in our cars?

hi,

for the SC and TC installation, it's a hassle, but if you're willing to take the time and effort in submitting the necessary details to LTA regarding this modification, then might be able to do it.

but the SC would likely have to be an ACS or Hamann one.

here's the link to the LTA website, scroll down to the SC/TC section.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publi...de/modification_allowed_lta.html#MainPar_0018

cheers and good luck!

ah pui said:
jaskin said:

hi,

for the SC and TC installation, it's a hassle, but if you're willing to take the time and effort in submitting the necessary details to LTA regarding this modification, then might be able to do it.

but the SC would likely have to be an ACS or Hamann one.

here's the link to the LTA website, scroll down to the SC/TC section.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publi...de/modification_allowed_lta.html#MainPar_0018

cheers and good luck!

also, the only reason why PML-Singapore doesn't have the SC kits for the ACS mod is not because it isn't approved by the LTA, but because it's their management policy not to bring these in. they probably prefer not to have to go through the hassles (after sales support etc..).

zhp are the special sports edition 330s in USA that their dealers sell. comes with 6 spd manual, different interior trim and kit, etc. the cams are slightly more aggressive. it's very close to the schrick cams for m52 if you go aftermarket. so this is actually a cam upgrade that you can buy from PML. other non330 e46 can also get a 330 cams as an upgrade. USA came out with the zhp model to bring the power level back up with the euro-spec 330s. of course there's a slight loss in low end torque, especially under 2000rpm.

if you're not planning to go FI, then you can afford something more aggressive. schrick cams for the 330 have bigger overlaps which are not suitable for FI but gives you even better NA power than zhp cams.

i'm not sure if Hiop makes headers for the 330i. or for any M54 for that matter. But if they do, make sure you upgrade your catback exhaust and freer flow mufflers. I guessing it's possible to break 260bhp with these mods.

In all I'd say 260bhp is achievable with 10k.

voltage stabilisers gives you better spark, and better overall electrical efficiency. there was a group buy recently. most compare the effect to something like the power/throttle response gained from switching off your aircon. best is to do it together with your grounding.

i'd say the magnitude of power increment is similar to changing to iridium spark plugs, or changing to K&N drop in, or putting in an ecotek, something like that.

not likely coz of aftersales support. by their markup margin, they can probably make 3-4k with every ACS SC install. it's good money.

the more impt reason is that while ACS may have a presence locally in PML, in their showrooms, and in their product lineup, they are still not officially recognised by BMWAG as a BMW "product". not like TRD to toyota or MR to mitsubishi. That's why it's much easier to get the TRD SC approved for the altezza, than say the ACS SC to BMW.

compare this to the JCW retrofit SC upgrade for mini. JCW is a recognised BMW sub. And thus you can say that this kit is 100% in-house.

If the M division in BMW comes out with similar programs, i'm very sure PML will start to offer them, albeit at their "PML-style" price. For ACS, not anytime soon.

Racebred said:
not likely coz of aftersales support. by their markup margin, they can probably make 3-4k with every ACS SC install. it's good money.

the more impt reason is that while ACS may have a presence locally in PML, in their showrooms, and in their product lineup, they are still not officially recognised by BMWAG as a BMW "product". not like TRD to toyota or MR to mitsubishi. That's why it's much easier to get the TRD SC approved for the altezza, than say the ACS SC to BMW.

compare this to the JCW retrofit SC upgrade for mini. JCW is a recognised BMW sub. And thus you can say that this kit is 100% in-house.

If the M division in BMW comes out with similar programs, i'm very sure PML will start to offer them, albeit at their "PML-style" price. For ACS, not anytime soon.

thanks for the info RB.
so meaning the SC kit by ACS will not be able to meet the necessary guidelines required by LTA due to BMW AG not recognising it as an officially approved BMW product?

u can still probably get it done individually. Go through the uncertainty of buying the SC, getting the blueprints, sending it to LTA for inspection, and if it fails, all your investment gone. but if it passes, then all is good for you. but i dont think pml will go down this route because they are bound to offer warrenty, and it's something germany does not support in the first place. so any warrenty money must come out of pml's pocket, and it could be too risky i guess.

Racebred said:
u can still probably get it done individually. Go through the uncertainty of buying the SC, getting the blueprints, sending it to LTA for inspection, and if it fails, all your investment gone. but if it passes, then all is good for you. but i dont think pml will go down this route because they are bound to offer warrenty, and it's something germany does not support in the first place. so any warrenty money must come out of pml's pocket, and it could be too risky i guess.

alritee then, looks like approved SC kit in a bmw on singapore roads quite a hassle. will stick to my scooting around in my Vespa.

Actually, I've seen a 318Ci S/Ced but I heard it wasn't done legally. If kenna TP I wonder how.
Anyways how would a voltage stabliser be compared to this www.z-stab.com

Recently got a group buy for the volt stabilizer? When was it? Hoe come i dnt noe... Aiya i want 2 get 1 too leh :errrrrrr:

rex7_vtec said:
Tom said:
hi rex7 vtec:

chipping
supercharging
turbocharging
induction
exhaust

Oops, sorry!

Its meant for a 330...
So lets say if I were interested in getting camshafts and probably headers. What would be a good recommendation? Are there ECUs that come pre-tuned or would you have to get someone in to fit the ECU and tune on the spot?

Cheers

hi rex, "bolt-on" chips would be the Superchips, hiop, etc..
it just replaces your stcok eprom.

other chips include the piggybacks which are wired onto the stock ecu and then programmed to cheat the ecu for more juice.

i did a small write up on chips with some of my own experiences and pics here, just check it out:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

look for piggyboyz[b/] on the forum. he might be interested in chips for his M54 2.5 325i soon.
he should've done some research.

in brief, later engine like the M50-M54 with more advanced ecus are pretty optimized already and you wouldn't really gain much.

so, other mods come into play like the exhaust and intake. and since you're pretty interested in cams and headers, that should put some smile on your face.

prolly give you like 10-15rwhp?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinbethomes

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back