Modding your car - the REAL deal

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Then you have the jealous people who will scratch your car, taxis which run too close to you, and cut you off without signalling.

Birdshit which may spoil your roof, tree branches piercing through your roof when it rains..

But if 50 people use UUC pullies and nothing goes wrong, if people use K&N filters and cone filters and gruppe Ms without problems..then it is relatively more safer than doing more sensitive equipment like plugs which affects the running of your engine etc.

If you're worried about warrenty issues..don't do hardcore engine mods then. Don't do cams, exhaust headers, performance pullies and all the fun stuff.

Granted there may be risks of running mods which will void warrenty..but which mod doesn't? heh.

I dont think you should let your car affect your desire to mod, else you'll never mod anything else. One good question i'm going to ask you...do you see yourself with your car in 5 years?

If yes, then good, mod after that.

If not...might as well whack all the way! Then sell the car..get the next car..and start the cycle all over again...

most of the time you enjoy the car as it is....but more of the time, you enjoy dressing your baby up and "playing" with it.

subconciously, you will enjoy every mod you put on.

Bro. look on the bright side of things......you don't have to pull your hair now thinking what to modify next plus not forgetting the bundle of $$$ you'll save..

:)

Yuen,

if warranty is so much of an issue, then juz do AC mods at PML loh. sure warranty.......

but seriously, other then tis, remove all 'illegal' mods b4 goin in to bang table loh. then see wat PML say......

Cheers

thats what modding is all about. you wouldnt believe the amount of time, effort and money spent by some pioneer modders here in bmwsg. for some, troubleshooting stuff at the garage is all part of the mod fun.

i believe for most people, they install things in their cars and they dont even know what it does, or the potential things it can cause. things like broquet and ecotek, or mufflers, and maybe even pullies. every mod has a downside to it. be it a disadvantage in another factor, or cost. coz if it's so good, BMW would have included it in in the first place. one must know what one is getting into.

another thing is warrenty with PML. If you have touched your car, PML has every right not to honour the warrenty. And we shouldnt push for it when the situation comes. It's only fair. but if you like change your muffler and they dont allow you to claim your window motor warrenty, the CSA should be shot lah. It's actually all these modding, then warrenty claim shouting matches that let PML have this love-hate relationship with us. hahaha

in short, know what you're getting into when you touch your car.

I'm a newbie and i agree with what racebred said on mods. Many people just spend the money without knowing the real purpose, what it does etc. Where is the fun really ?! I personally don't mod cos i dunno much about cars, and certainly not a technical person..so jus sharing my two cents worth.

The part which i dont really agree on is the warranty. I think we should pursue reasonably, else we sure kanna makan by them. I remember calling up and ask, if i change the speakers, what are the consequences... I was shocked to hear that the warranty with regards to the headunit and anything to do with the car audio will be void.
I told the CSA its ridiculous, i m jus changing the speakers !! Then he relented, saying its case by case basis etc. i belive that if we dont fight, they will simply take advantage, as per most businesses.

i think the onus is on you to prove that your mods did not affect the headunit. in a bizzare scenario, the speakers could short circuit or something and affect the head unit. what they claim is not overboard. they could have very well said all electrical items in the car is void by the installation of the speakers but they didnt.

while i'm a pro-modder, i also like to stand on the side that is fair.

I know what u mean la... just pursue as a reasonable person. What i didnt appreciate from them was a blanket answer, something to the effect of "if u change anything, warranty void". I know they are protecting themselves on "in case" scenarios. ANyway, i didnt face any problems on my car yet but was jus responding to posts, sharing of my experience with PML.

actually i also remember signing something on my warrenty form, somehting to the effect that if you so much as service your car outside, warrenty void. anybody remember that form? it says wear and tear not included, own mods boh serng, service outside boh serng... etc

i'm glad they are not exersising that clause to the T

Well, if you wanna do some mods to your car, make sure that it works! Its a known fact the BMW's inline six high compression engine don't particularly works well with all these high plugs.

As for me, modding is fun and keep the car interesting to drive. :)

Rgds

Thats what I say to myself ... wanna mod the car ? be prepared when the shi* hits the fan ... Thats why I remain stock. I mean we gotta face facts. With the mod restrictions Govt. impose, how many secs can we technically "shave" whilst remain legal ?

My thought is, want a performance car ? buy a performance car ..

Coz there is really no point in buying a BMW 318 or 320 or even 330 and mod it heavily, but in the end, the amount of money we spend not only cost the maintenance fees to hike up as well as the malfunctions we got to deal with. Think about it. You can get a performance car with all that money.

SMYUEN,

Bro, I emphatise with you. I do however feel that you should take this misfiring incident with a wee bit pinch of salt. Don't you think that by having an external factor added in to the whole picture (in this case the ows plugs) the diagnostic process is then skewed ? ie.. they are more likely to choose the more convenient route of blaming it on this external factor rather than exploring other more worrying possibilities??

I mean, if you start a diabetic on some medications and after several reviews and further attempts on your part, still found that he/she has not attained a satisfactory blood sugar levels, wouldn't you honestly be very happy if the patient tells you that he/she is also taking some traditional herbal therapy? You can then (at least for the time being, to give you more time to play around with before giving up!) blame it on the interaction of the herbs with the medication and thus put the blame on the patient rather than yourself for failing to attain good sugar control. You know deep down that it may not be the herbal thing at all right? But it gives you that convenient diagnostic factor to skew your decisions....

Just my thots... whaddya guys think?

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT skewed...

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I agree with many that its important to know what we are getting into when we mod - thats why I am usually very paranoid when it comes to performance mods. Heck, I am still thinking of my Gruppe M after so long and still not willing to make the plunge!

I thot OWS sparks were safe cos so many people use them! Didnt know there could a higher risk problems...

ryan,

Haha. I hope tree trunk will not pierce my roof. Sounds scary! I am moer afraid of falling trunks when my roof is down. haha

In 5 years time? Me with same car? heh.. not impossible you know. I may well drive my car for 7 years! hahaha..

Racebred,

In my case, I guess its hard to argue since I went in with misfiring cylinders, they replaced the plugs and its cured!?!? quite lan lan.

Arsony,
You are right.. I will be monitoring my car's PT/INR closely so it doesnt bleed from elsewhere! haha

rodders,
Bro, that much you are very right man!!! :thumbsup:

ACSCAB2,
I tried to - even e-mailed ACS in germany asking about their upgrades. They say check with PML. Haha. what a joke. But anyway, they say no performance upgrades available for 2.5 litre engine. Hmmm..

oneHeadlight,
Of course man, we must pursue within reasonable limits! I am waiting for them to tell me my ACS rims not from PML so therefore....

Arsony said:
SMYUEN,

Bro, I emphatise with you. I do however feel that you should take this misfiring incident with a wee bit pinch of salt. Don't you think that by having an external factor added in to the whole picture (in this case the ows plugs) the diagnostic process is then skewed ? ie.. they are more likely to choose the more convenient route of blaming it on this external factor rather than exploring other more worrying possibilities??

I mean, if you start a diabetic on some medications and after several reviews and further attempts on your part, still found that he/she has not attained a satisfactory blood sugar levels, wouldn't you honestly be very happy if the patient tells you that he/she is also taking some traditional herbal therapy? You can then (at least for the time being, to give you more time to play around with before giving up!) blame it on the interaction of the herbs with the medication and thus put the blame on the patient rather than yourself for failing to attain good sugar control. You know deep down that it may not be the herbal thing at all right? But it gives you that convenient diagnostic factor to skew your decisions....

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT skewed...

I somewhat agree, but bro .. BMWs aren't cheap to maintain.. When you experience a malfunction and your ride is modded, PML sure as hell won't cover that and push the blame though its non related. Hence making the owner pay for the servicing instead. I guses what SMyuen was trying to say is, if you wanna mod your car, be prepared to pay the price ..

E46 said:
Arsony said:
SMYUEN,

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT skewed...

I somewhat agree, but bro .. BMWs aren't cheap to maintain.. When you experience a malfunction and your ride is modded, PML sure as hell won't cover that and push the blame though its non related. Hence making the owner pay for the servicing instead. I guses what SMyuen was trying to say is, if you wanna mod your car, be prepared to pay the price ..

Yup thats what I meant...If they can find something to blame as "not original BMW parts" rest assured they will, I think.

SMYUEN said:
E46 said:
Arsony said:
SMYUEN,

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT skewed...

Yup thats what I meant...If they can find something to blame as "not original BMW parts" rest assured they will, I think.

But I can never resist the Mod virus .... :twisted:

Yuen, U shld go BVO 1st b4 u sent ur car to PML! Then all ur problems will b solved. Bro yuen tis cming sunday, a new guy is cming(f/l 320 cab) he just installed his gruppeM. Let him himself tell u the diff b4 any of us persuade or highlight wat gruppeM can do to ur car! :) Every decision is YOURS! We all can only advised but nt to command or tell u wat to do ;)

Re: Modding your car - the REAL deal

SMYUEN said:
Hi folks,

Very upset today. My misfiring engine is due to faulty OWS iridium spark plugs.

Went to PML, they promptly suspected spark plug problem, replaced them with the original and the bill:
1. Diagnostics $70
2. Labour $70
3. Parts $120
Total: $260

Its a hard lesson to learn cos this "Warranty" issue is VERY real. There is really no goodwill nor sympathy if you drive in with aftermarket stuff on your ride and they attribute it to your own doing.

In my case, they were over enthusiastic as if they had checked with me, I would have told them my original 6 plugs were still with me! But nonetheless, I had to pay for diagnostics and labour.

This has really made me sit up and think hard - my car is barely 6 months, do I want to risk more heartache by modding here and modding there? I think I may just "retire from the puglistic world". Not worth it. I shudder at the thought of the scenario in which some performance enhancing bullet I put in my car eventually leads to problems. They wont pay a single cent!

Off the rails, I can think of shocks damaging chassis, aftermarket rims screwing up axles... tyres, brakes, air filters, ECO tecks, UUC pulleys, maybe even engine oil! The list is endless. No to mention SC or TC! Or doing up paddle shift. Its scary.

ok thats it. I am hanging up my boots until the 3 year warranty is up.

Its good boy time.

Sigh....

Should have just bought a 330 coupe. or sedan. or what the heck, an EVO!

:( :( :(

Sir, for S$260 U kena from PML & U gona stop modding???? Please lah!!

U should have drop by to BVO/J4C & ask them to take a look at your problem 1st b4 U consider PML, unless ur car is stock to the bone!!

I just broke my final drive!! The bill is S$2600 for the part, haven't even count in labour & misc fluid, gasket.......charges!!!

So how?? I strip my car back to stock?? Or just sell away the car??

As long as you love your car, as long as you love to mod to better your car.... there might be some small hiccups along the path of modding & we just have to face it & learn from it......

Even car that is 'stock to the bone' can fail, it's just that U can bang on PML's table louder & ask them to repair FOC.......

So, drive a 'stock to the bone' car & be happy??....

Or spend premium $$ for all ACS mods 'only' that 'comes' with PML waranty......

My 2 cents worth......

'Die Hard Modder'

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188site

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups