M Steering feels lighter?

Did u try to compare the weight side by side before installing it?..

I must say it's the best steering wheel BMW ever produced.

The other equally good one is the ACS if u hv seen one.

Cheers
 
Re: M Steering feels lighter?

Puny said:
Hi all,

Just got back from a workshop after having my stock steering wheel replaced with a new M Steering wheel /w paddleshift and immediately noticed a difference I wasn't actually expecting.

Besides the spongy grip, the steering "felt" much lighter. If I were to quantify it, I would say the "difference" is about 30% lighter than the stock wheel. I know that replacing the grip alone shouldn't affect the level of strength required to steer, but it did feel lighter somewhat - the larger/softer grip gave the additional traction required to steer with less effort.

:inlove:

The paddleshift isn't working yet due to some problems I need to get it fixed tomorrow.
*cough cough* *mod* *cough cough*.

Cheers,
Alvin.


Hi Alvin,

Congrats on your changing to the M steering wheel.

I think the 30% lighter feel might actually be due to the M sterring wheel being thicker, and since you're able to get a better grip while driving/turning the tyres, it might actually feel lighter. I donno hor, i anyhow guess one.

Hartini! Help!
 
Ok Spidey is here but.... :errrrrrr:

Ah Pui, think u'r rite...thicker handle is likely to be the factor.
My current car is much heavier than previous one but now the steering feels much lighter..... :thinking:
 
sybron said:
Dude The M steering wheel feels good right? It was my favourite mod on my e46.
DJ, it's indeed a worthy mod!. :)

TripleM said:
Did u try to compare the weight side by side before installing it?..
I must say it's the best steering wheel BMW ever produced.
The other equally good one is the ACS if u hv seen one.
I held both when making the change at the workshop, but unfortunately, I didn't consiously do a weight comparison - perhaps the weight difference was negligible. I'll test it out later when I go down to the workshop (needs to be dismantled again to wire the paddles)

silverbullet said:
Hi Alvin, If I may ask how much is the damage for the change to M Steering Wheels. Where did you get it from?

I got it from PML (Kallang). I think if you purchase before 15th Aug, you should still be able to qualify for the 25% discount by purchasing their $500 voucher which includes the discount. M steering wheel is abt <$800 after discount (not sure if includes installation at PML) or you can get a workshop to do it for you.

The wheel + paddleshift costs aprx $1200. Installation has to be done outside and labour costs around $120-150 inclusive of the wiring.

Cheers,
Alvin.
 
Re: M Steering feels lighter?

ah pui said:
Hi Alvin,
Congrats on your changing to the M steering wheel.
I think the 30% lighter feel might actually be due to the M sterring wheel being thicker, and since you're able to get a better grip while driving/turning the tyres, it might actually feel lighter. I donno hor, i anyhow guess one.
Hartini! Help!

Yup, I believe this is very close to the actual observation Pui. Good for your fat nobby fingers. :p
 
with the PML discount it was S$793 for the wheel, and PML will charge you $90 for the install. alternatively, check on e46fanatics. I did it myself. (need to borrow a torque wrench though).
 
The wheel + paddleshift costs aprx $1200. Installation has to be done outside and labour costs around $120-150 inclusive of the wiring.

Cheers,
Alvin.[/quote]

Thanks. Must have felt really good. But paiseh, what is "Wheel + Paddleshift" The S$1,200 is inaddition to the S$800 for the wheel? What does paddleshift help in?

Thanks
 
Hi Alvin,

I assumed the paddle shift is installed without protection electronics, just direct wires connection. S120-$150 is expensive.

Yours a 4pot or 6 pot ?

I did it for ~S$180 with electronics quite sometime back leow...:)

thx
 
silverbullet said:
Thanks. Must have felt really good. But paiseh, what is "Wheel + Paddleshift" The S$1,200 is inaddition to the S$800 for the wheel? What does paddleshift help in?
Thanks

Hi Silverbullet,

The $1200 is inclusive of wheel and paddleshift (used to shift gears, e.g. M+- mode). :)
 
The M steering with the M colour stitching is indeed lighter than the original steering that we have....

Easily 1 to 1.5kg lighter ! Carried both before ! That y a lot of ppl here change it, together with the M package from Marie France bodyline, it was said to give a 0.5sec reduction in 0-100kph sprint !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
stevenwu said:
Hi Alvin,
I assumed the paddle shift is installed without protection electronics, just direct wires connection. S120-$150 is expensive.
Yours a 4pot or 6 pot ?
I did it for ~S$180 with electronics quite sometime back leow...:)
thx
Hi Steven, :) :)

Mine is the 4-pot valvetronic. I doubt there's any protection electronics, but it took quite a lot of time for the wiring though! Labour was approximately 3-4 hrs at the workshop :eek: - wiring from the gearbox to the wheel.

I am getting it done at $120 with installation of the wheel & some other cosmetic parts. (quite paiseh to the workshop owner as well because the step ring came apart and upon fixing it back, there were remotely rare ocassions where there's a obvious loud clicking sound that seemed like something was "broken" - he actually purchased another set from PML for ~$150 to replace it).

Steven, the protection electronics is for protection against possible malfunction? Is it too late to get it done after the wheel is fixed?

Cheers,
Alvin.
 
hi,

oh....probably only <1 hr to complete the job. It is from the gearswitch console, not from the gearbox. Direct connection only needs 2 wires linked from the console to the steering. However, a couple of parts needs to remove to complete the job.

It is still safe to operate direct since most of them have been using this setup for sometime leow....don't worry

I was awared that there is a possibility to stuck on that particular state, meaning particular gear when certain conditions met.

Maybe one of this day, during meetup, I could explain further if you are interested.......
 
:nopicsno:

is27.jpg


Pity I have yet to find an ///AMG equivalent to the ///M steering wheel for my W211.
 
sybron said:
Pity I have yet to find an ///AMG equivalent to the ///M steering wheel for my W211.
Ever considered wrapping it? You can specify an alcantara suede-ish feel to it if you wish to.

Jackspeed does it..
about 200-300 bucks. Worth the money if it's for long term. I ever once considered doing such a mod...
 
Dude

Hmm, interesting. I will look into this although I am not too sure if it will look nice.

The E55's AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel comes with racing car-style gearshift buttons (like the //M steering wheel's paddleshift) and is smaller with more pronounced grip sections.
 
piggyboyz said:
The M steering with the M colour stitching is indeed lighter than the original steering that we have....

Easily 1 to 1.5kg lighter ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can someone confirm that the M colour stitching wheel (blue/red) is lighter than the black stitching M wheel? ;)
 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
82,708
Messages
1,019,184
Members
70,139
Latest member
C8bettop

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back
Top