Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

lowering

The Mixmaster

Apart from comfort, another factor to consider is the higher costs of tyres for 19" rims.

For 19" tyres, the choices are also more limited.

Apart from comfort, another factor to consider is the higher costs of tyres for 19" rims.

For 19" tyres, the choices are also more limited.

"Currently running on 18"..thinkin of lowering as can still see a gap between the wheels. Should i lower my car..altho i've been discouraged by frens who said comfort will be compromised.

opinions pls ..."

Dude

Do it! I was on 18s for a month or so on stock suspensions, and somehow it just looked kinda weird having 18s and seeing the HUGE gap at the wheel arches! Anyway, with 18s your stock shox will be shot pretty soon and you will still need to change 'em.....so why not lower now? :laughlik:

You want comfort and not too expensive, go for SACHs (most bros here are on SACHS)

You want coilovers, go for PSS9 or maybe KW VarII. Both are really good with choice of settings depending on what you like. Both cost more than SACHs too.

I have had many many discussions with all the LAO JIAO here and you gotta tell yourself that lowering your ride WILL definitely have some compromise in ride comfort but SACHs pretty much maintains a "comfortable" ride feel for everyday driving. After I lowered my ride, my family did not even notice that the ride was firmer! ;)

And BTW, lowering your ride will immediately make your 18s look bigger.

Tyre pressure on your 18s will also affect the ride comfort.

So there you go............

:wavey:

Hi Toby,

How much are the Sachs? Where would I be able to get them?

"Hi Toby,

How much are the Sachs? Where would I be able to get them?"

Hi Jaskin

The SACHS are around S$ 1.2 K+ . The price quoted should include installation and a wheel alignment service as your cambers will "go off" when suspensions are touched.

You can get them installed at most BMW workshops like BVO for example. Ask around for the best price and do note that the 4cycl and 6 cycl E46 will need different sets from SACHs. The most comfotable set-up will be the "SACHS Performance" (If I remember correctly) The others are meant for racing or tracking and you'd probably be more comfy being towed behind yr ride on yr face than using these set-ups. :)

If budget permits, PSS9 will be my choice but I figured that SACHs is good enough for me as I don't track my car.

Cheers!

8)

Hi TOby,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering would installing the Sachs kit void the PML warranty in anyway?

jaskin said:
Hi TOby,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering would installing the Sachs kit void the PML warranty in anyway?

Hi Jaskin..
Suspension is considered a wear n tear item. Once you installed an after mkt suspension, it aint relevant to argue bout warranty against the stock one anymore rite? Your warranty is now against the new set-up by the manufacturer.. Unless you are concerned about the new suspension set up that subsequently may lead or cause to some other unforseen problems then that will be a different issue. And I think it's gonna be a long debatable case if PML wanna argue that you can't claim this and that because of this and that.....bla bla..
So far, however, I haven't heard of such drama..

Like DJ says, if in doubt Just Mod It.. :thumbsup:

My car is 2.5 yrs old... i just bought it used. CAme with 18" rims.
I've no idea whether its stock shocks, but judging by the gap still apparent, it prob is. Toby mentioned that the stock shocks would prob wear out... being a novice, can someone advise the estimated timeframe the shocks would be in bad condition. Currently, the ride still feels ok.

How about an item like a Lower Control Arm. Is this item part of the suspension system? I replaced the LCA after 40000KM on my previous Bimmer, I'm just concerned cause the total cost of adding a suspension would be more than its cost

will all after-market suspensions lower the car?
is there any tt will NOT lower the ride...
my stock suspension is too soft... but i can't afford to lower it...
coz my front kit is oredi scraping the hump evey morn'...

i'm on 19".. as long as i've any passengers in the rear... my rear tires will start to "bua" the fenderrs...

if you bua the fenders without lowering your ride, something is wrong. a solution will be to roll your fenders. what's your rim offset?

generally its hard to find aftermarket ready-to-fit-e46 suspension upgrades that doesnt lower the car. the only solution is to go for height adjustable coilovers, but they easily cost double the price.

your coupe suspension is already supposed to be harder than sedan

Racebred said:
if you bua the fenders without lowering your ride, something is wrong. a solution will be to roll your fenders. what's your rim offset?

generally its hard to find aftermarket ready-to-fit-e46 suspension upgrades that doesnt lower the car. the only solution is to go for height adjustable coilovers, but they easily cost double the price.

your coupe suspension is already supposed to be harder than sedan

my rear shld b 10 x 19"..
how to roll the fenders? where to get it done? or izzit DIY?

OT a bit, but is it true that the weight distribution of our bimmers tips the car more to the right? Between my chassis and the REAR wheels, the driver side has a narrower gap than the left side's one-finger gap. Difference is small, but still noticeable if you slot your index finger into the gap.

Hope it is not my weight that put too much strain on the Sachs.

:whattheh:

kenntona said:
OT a bit, but is it true that the weight distribution of our bimmers tips the car more to the right? Between my chassis and the REAR wheels, the driver side has a narrower gap than the left side's one-finger gap. Difference is small, but still noticeable if you slot your index finger into the gap.

Hope it is not my weight that put too much strain on the Sachs.

:whattheh:

hahaa.... i think it's the weight! coz my ride is tilted downwards on the driver side too...
same goes for my previous E36...

hmmm yours is original hamann rims right? then shouldnt be a problem, especially with stock suspension. you can roll your fenders at Lye design i guess. the details are in our homepage workshops info. there's another couple of coupes here who are running 19". perhaps they can give their feedback.

For a moment, i thought you would have another twin to your red coupe... :p

DVanos said:
my e46 coupe is running on 19" as well, changed to k2 v2 coilover some years back, its height adjustable, so far no prob. :)

btw, wat kit u hv on your coupe?

Charontes said:
DVanos said:
my e46 coupe is running on 19" as well, changed to k2 v2 coilover some years back, its height adjustable, so far no prob. :)

btw, wat kit u hv on your coupe?

Hamann add-on kit..
this one..
a36.jpg

ic, add-on kits usually less clearance. my e39 has ACS add-on, when on sach susp, it scrub d front lip all d time. but i like d lowered look, so i changed it to coilover as well, i still get the lowered look but minimal scrubing. u can consider coilover. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
good88bond
Back