Jerking when accelerating...

premraj

Hi All,

I hope someone can help with this.

I've got a 320i Professional (9months old) and on Saturday while out and about, I experienced the car jerk quite hard when accelerating. It happened twice but the problem hasn't recurred since. It felt like during the jerk, the car lost power momentarily and then power kicked back in.

Being a fairly new car, I am very concerned. Appreciate any advice from BMW gurus here.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Re: Jerking when accelerating...

sounds like a turbo lag.

Sorry for OT.

best to see if you can replicate the symptom and bring it back for CSA to fix.

Slater;479803 said:
sounds like a turbo lag.

Sorry for OT.

best to see if you can replicate the symptom and bring it back for CSA to fix.

thanks bro. but i don't think my ride is turbo "enabled".

i am worried this is the beginning of a transmission problem.

Jerk may be due to spark plug misfiring rather than transmission.

If it's due to electronic, PML should be able to call out the fault when u send the car in for ur routine servicing.

piggyboyz;479808 said:
Jerk may be due to spark plug misfiring rather than transmission.

If it's due to electronic, PML should be able to call out the fault when u send the car in for ur routine servicing.

appreciate your response, piggyboyz.

spark plug misfiring? sounds serious. i've never had a car with that problem. is this related to a bad contact or a faulty spark plug?

i really hope its nothing serious.

btw, i was told that the first servicing for my car is at 12000km. the car has not been serviced since i got it because mileage is about 9000km. i am wondering if the car needs the service earlier.

thanks!

premraj;479807 said:
thanks bro. but i don't think my ride is turbo "enabled".

i am worried this is the beginning of a transmission problem.
i know bro. was just pulling ur leg. hehe

9 mnths old i dun suppose it can be anything serious. unless u r a real spirited driver.

Slater;479810 said:
i know bro. was just pulling ur leg. hehe

9 mnths old i dun suppose it can be anything serious. unless u r a real spirited driver.

good one! ;)

for a moment, i was hoping for "didn't you know your car has turbo?" wishful thinking, i guess. :lol:

i can be a spirited driver but on rare occassions when the "spirits" get to me. beyond that, i behave.

as mentioned in my response to piggyboyz, i really hope its nothing serious.

thanks, bro!

premraj;479809 said:
appreciate your response, piggyboyz.

spark plug misfiring? sounds serious. i've never had a car with that problem. is this related to a bad contact or a faulty spark plug?

i really hope its nothing serious.

btw, i was told that the first servicing for my car is at 12000km. the car has not been serviced since i got it because mileage is about 9000km. i am wondering if the car needs the service earlier.

thanks!
u can try viewing the on board com to see how many more km to ur 1st service. recommended is 12k but many of us get the warning light at 9k. it really depends on ur style of driving. fact that u are beyond 9k i reckon ur driving suits the car well.

Slater;479813 said:
u can try viewing the on board com to see how many more km to ur 1st service. recommended is 12k but many of us get the warning light at 9k. it really depends on ur style of driving. fact that u are beyond 9k i reckon ur driving suits the car well.

i'll check on that this evening before heading home from work.

really appreciate the tip. thank you. :)

Hi, didnt mean to dig out this thread but i cant post new thread yet so no choice.

When i drive up MSCP real slow as there is a car infront of me going dead slow so got no choice gotta follow behind like 10km/h.. my car seems like no power although the rpm already shows 2000rpm.. continue to step on gradually but the speed dont seems to match the rpm. this only happens in MSCP if I drive up the slope dead slow. Is this normal? mine is a new F10.

Hi dexlee,

Your problem sounds more persistent. Mine happens intermittently but is exactly as you've described.

Brought the car to PML in Dec but was told nothing wrong. Problem still persists intermittently. About a month ago, my car stalled while reversing!

Coincidently, my car is now at PML and I've included the problem in a long list of other problems. Hopefully, they'll find the fault and rectify.

premraj;479796 said:
Hi All,

I hope someone can help with this.

I've got a 320i Professional (9months old) and on Saturday while out and about, I experienced the car jerk quite hard when accelerating. It happened twice but the problem hasn't recurred since. It felt like during the jerk, the car lost power momentarily and then power kicked back in.

Being a fairly new car, I am very concerned. Appreciate any advice from BMW gurus here.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Were you in SD mode ?

Red_Bean_Bun;575768 said:
Were you in SD mode ?

I am guessing here but does SD refer to sports mode (says DS on my dash)?

If so, no. I hardly ever use DS. I can be a relatively spirited driver but I very rarely use DS.

Hey OP, does ur jerking mean the rev meter goes mad for a few seconds? Like jumping up and down within low revs there when moving off?

it is common to feel a little jerk when the car changing gear? i do feel it ... I donno if that can consider a jerk feeling. my previous ride use CVT, so definitely feel zero jerky feel even when rpm dropped down when "gear change"

I too had the same problem but after changing my oil gasket (because engine oil was leaking and lucky repair was free due to warranty) the jerky feel was much much lesser. Also heard frm one of the workshops at siin ming that the jerky feel could be a software bug, and u need to ask PML to do a software update.

lorddraco;576034 said:
it is common to feel a little jerk when the car changing gear? i do feel it ... I donno if that can consider a jerk feeling. my previous ride use CVT, so definitely feel zero jerky feel even when rpm dropped down when "gear change"

already done the software upgrade as CS mention. still feel a little jerk during gear change. Oil gasket also donno changed or not as TWM check, mention need to change. Go PML, say changed in June liao....

I have the same jerking problem at gear change from 2nd to 3rd. The jerk become bad if I step harder on the gas pedal or in DS mode. Send to PML for check, they found that a part call megatronic is faulty, got management approval, order and change the part for free as my car still under warrenty. Jerk no more, only slight jerk when engine is cold for the first 3-5mins. Heard it cost $5k for parts and labour.... :)

Hi

in 2005, I bought my E60 520i Inline 6 Cyliner 2.2litre. I had also experienced the same problem like you mentioned, especially when I am doing a turning in.

At 1st, I thought maybe the engine was cold (going to work in the morning), but just like you - the jerking occurs intermittently and its frustrating becos you can't replicate it when you go see the Customer Service Advisor. I visited PML at least 3 times and these were explanations below

Anyway- I had mixed stories from PML. And these were some of the comments from CSAs :

a. The 520i has a 6 speed transmission carried over from the exiting older 520i model and the tranny and engine doesnt synch well and so you get the jerky feeling, so can't really solve your problem. I wondered why the 523i model has no problems. Try driving in Sport Mode (DS) and that should be fine. (I was thinking what??? Drive in DS mode all the time?)

b. When you come in your next servicing, we will upgrade your Software and that should go away
(which of course didnt go away because it still continues to intermittently appear). I was actually very frustrated.

c. One even shruges his shoulders and said, " yeah so ? It's a 520i 2.2litre and that its a 'known problem' " . and I was pissed because it was like a masked sarcasm saying that if you wanna buy a 5 series, and don't kow-peh if the low-end model got problem.

I eventually got it solved, after my 3 yrs onwership timeline (when it was out of warranty). The potential problem was probably (like one of the bros said) the ignition coil or fuel injectors. I recently replaced my ignition coil and injectors and the jerks (intentional metaphorical pun for PML) have disappeared now that I am using 3rd party servicing agents.

And BTW the beemer engine gets smoother as it ages well. Not sure if all the fellow forummers agree - but I feel it in a 6 cylinder engine model.

Dont get me wrong, I loved Beemers, its just that there are times, I don't like the PML attitude.
Fellow bros, dont flame me, I am saying PML (the company) and NOT targeting any individual CSA or engineer in PML.

Lets do a reality check, you read this forum, and you can see -fellow drivers organizing to bulk buy the 3M anti-friction tape, to line the doors because there are squeaks and the tape solves the noise problem. Its a KNOWN issue. I have owned 320i and then on to 5 series... and yet PML charges you to install the tape. One would think that if you paid premium $ for a premium branded car, PML would have at least have the decency to ensure that such things are paid attention to without costs to the owners. I have been driving for over 30yrs and in the past have ownded and driven Honda, C and E Class Benz, and Ford . And their attention to detail and delivery of customer satisfaction tops PML any time.

Cheers, I think if you can put up with the occasional jerks, then wait till your 3 yr warranty is up and get a 3rd party BMW service agent to check it for you.

My dad's 523i 2007 recently have this problem too. Step on the accelerator there seems to be a momentary lapse in the middle of accelerator.. u can see the RPM jerk a bit as it's going upwards. I suspected it's the spark plug as my former Lexus had the rpm jerking as well.

Went to Starblack which is my workshop of choice. After 1-2 hours diagnostic, they determine it's a misfire and need to replace ignition coil and spark plug. They said need to test throughly when i initially said i tot it's just a spark plug problem. I think they are pretty professional in the sense they test everything properly before letting me know.

Anyway, spark plugs 180, ignition coil 85. Labour all in about 300 plus.. Much cheaper than what we expected.. Haven't had the time to arrange to go down repair it. Maybe couple of days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99okworks
Back