Is there any workshop that actually use a torque wrench for the delicate plastic nut?

Slow_poke_driver

Is there any workshop that actually use a torque wrench for the delicate stuff, such as the plastic drain nut?

Based on BMW recommendation, the torque for tightening the engine oil drain nut on the plastic oil pans, such as on the n20, is 8Nm.

8Nm= 800g of force @1m =3.2kg of force with a 25cm wrench. Really, it is not much.

In my previous experience with one of the workshops, the mechanics really used COW STRENGTH to tighten the drain nut. This is probably fine for metal pan with a crush washer, but for a plastic pan with plastic thread to hold a plastic nut, I am really worried that I may need a new oil pan in time to come.

Re: Is there any workshop that actually use a torque wrench for the delicate plastic

I use it ..... Especially the plastic and aluminum ones .....

Re: Is there any workshop that actually use a torque wrench for the delicate plastic

Even with torque wrench used. You need to ensure the wrench is calibrated with certificate.

I do not supposed that any workshop would restrict if you provide your own 1/4" sq. dr. adj. hand torque wrench and instruct that they use it. Would likely cost you 120 - 150 bucks to get one.

Red_Bean_Bun;1108280 said:
I use it ..... Especially the plastic and aluminum ones .....

I actually use CW's torque wrench and continue apply force to tighten the nut even after the click sound
Wonder why the nut cannot fully tighten until the boss told me i have over tighten

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jalaliveco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back