Interested to get pre owned 520i

Eric Soh

Hi all,

I am considering to get a 520I/year 2009 to replaced my current ride as COE ending soon. However, I heard lots of negative feedback and decided to ask in this forum before the purchase.

The ride seen nice and tempting but was still seriously wondering if it's a good buy. I sincerely need fellow members advice.

Thank you.

Hi all,

I am considering to get a 520I/year 2009 to replaced my current ride as COE ending soon. However, I heard lots of negative feedback and decided to ask in this forum before the purchase.

The ride seen nice and tempting but was still seriously wondering if it's a good buy. I sincerely need fellow members advice.

Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply - Buying a used car is always a hit and miss - if you want, have the car inspected by STA and get a rating from there - alternatively, have a thorough inspection done by a 3rd party workshop - here are number of our site sponsors who can easily do this for you for a small fee, refundable if you need additional repair/replacement works done.

Just wondering, among the 5 series - 520,523, 525, 528 - is there a particular model which has the least problematic engine?

Thanks in advance.

Used cars are always problematic especially continental brands, parts are expensive. You have to bear with the wear and tear and spent hours and numerous trips to different workshops to have it rectified. It was fun and excited in the beginning but after a few disappointment, you began to get sick and wish you had never made the purchase. It is always a wise decision to have it inspected by a reliable workshop although it is not a 100% foolproof, least you know the condition of the car before you made the commitment.

Used cars are always problematic especially continental brands, parts are expensive. You have to bear with the wear and tear and spent hours and numerous trips to different workshops to have it rectified. It was fun and excited in the beginning but after a few disappointment, you began to get sick and wish you had never made the purchase. It is always a wise decision to have it inspected by a reliable workshop although it is not a 100% foolproof, least you know the condition of the car before you made the commitment.
Thanks, bro. Wise advice indeed.

No, I was referring to the E60 model which has 1-3 years left.

E60 523i 2005, overhauled at PML for leaking engine oil. A year later the same problem came back, missing engine oil. For every 3k travelled, top up 2 litres. I guess most E60 engines (520, 523 and 525) will have similar problem. Other than that, the car is running well.

why consider used-car, why not new as the pricing for the new model is quite reasonable.... Just my thoughts :)

E60 523i 2005, overhauled at PML for leaking engine oil. A year later the same problem came back, missing engine oil. For every 3k travelled, top up 2 litres. I guess most E60 engines (520, 523 and 525) will have similar problem. Other than that, the car is running well.

Yes, I heard and read about this issue but I was wondering is it a case in general or is it an exception. As I have neighbours who are driving the E60 in Sg and Msia and rental companies renting out the E60 and hence I thought this could be an exception.
Leaking engine oil due to evaporation as the engine is exceedingly hot in our climate. If I am not mistaken, I read a newspaper article probably 6 months to a year ago about a guy who decided to buy a 2nd hand 5 series instead or getting a new one. And he said that his car was fine due to him being able to get a good conditioned car.

I guess it's a matter of luck too. For E60, my bet is servicing at mileage between 6 to 8k is recommended.

I guess it's a matter of luck too. For E60, my bet is servicing at mileage between 6 to 8k is recommended.
Yeah, i agree. For old cars or high mileage ones, it is better to have servicing at shorter interval. Was recommended by my mechanic to do at 8k too.

A bit late in response.

I'm driving a E60 for the past 4 years. Bought 2nd hand. Performance is enjoyable even for the 520i even though the replacement parts are expensive.

Leaking engine oil was a big issue for a couple of years. Finally solved with replacing all the valve seals (part cost at EngSoon S$24, labour another issue...)

now many seals are leaking (7th-8th year) even though I changed most of them 2 years back. So I'm guessing E60 seals last only about 2 years or so. My mileage is about 25k/year

Spare parts for seals this time round + rear brakes (S$165)
Quoted labour charges S$1000

switching to Japanese soon

Moral of story, 2nd hand is cheaper, but take it in your stride and treat the cost savings as maintenance cost. At least you do not have to fork out so much upfront.

There are those who say peace of mind when you buy new. Car break down? Sent for repair! you have already saved the amount when you did not buy new. If break down often, then its a lemon, regardless new or 2nd hand. Use Uber for the time being. In Singapore, listen to your wallet..

site sponsors are good way to start if you get 2nd hand

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daoquangminh

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back