improving the sound

actually its the quality of the sound i m not happy with. I dont really wish to change the head unit... jus wondering if anyone has experience jus adding an amp and changing the speakers..

the radio reception is also pretty crappy come to think of it..

Some of us just add those amps and what-u-call-them thingies in the boot and they have improved sound, without changing the headunit. U got to meet up with some of the guys for kopi! :thumbsup:

any good workshop to recommend wif 5k budget....able to get 2 10'' woofer 2 set of component speaker and one big amp wif the big spider on it. all soundstream products plus installation....wat do you guys think???...tia

Hi rich

Perhaps you or some of the other more knowledgable forumers could recommend some ICE shops to us. I actually wrote to you a few weeks back haven't heard back from you.

Cheers
Jason

I thot Tye Electronics did a good job on my 320. I only used my Genesis dual mono amp from my ex-car.

- Got a pair of Focals components for front driven by the Genesis mono. Focals are great for vocals in general.
- Got a pair of Lanzar coaxial for the rears driven by the BMW headunit
- Got an inexpensive Lanzar amp to drive the Bazooka 10" woofer

Good workmanship overall and cost less than $2K. :)

Hi RichLee,

budget of $1k to $2k. I m not technically inclined and wants as little hassle as possible. I m jus wondering if adding an amplifier is good enough, or do i need to change the speakers as well ?

Pls advise...and possibly the place as well...thanks.

oneHeadlight,

I suggest you just add one amp and change to a good set of component speakers for the front doors for a start.

Asthetically, you will see no difference but can hear the difference.

That would set you back to about $1K+.

ICE

Hi. sorry for not reply Jason, but just a rough guide
(do note that these may seem exp, but the diff is significant, befitting our ride :) ) :
A : No additional headunit
1K+ : Front door speaks + 4ch amp
2K+ : Front door speaks + 4ch amp + rear
3K+ : Front door speaks + 2ch amp + rear + 2ch amp + small active sub
4K+ : Front door speaks + 2ch amp + rear + 2ch amp + 1/2ch amp + 10"sub

B : add a headunit (can be concealed): +1K to the above, but much much better.

I guess most wouldn't want to add a headunit becoz want to use the steering control, but our source (stock) is just so-so sound, so even with good amps, you are basically amplifying so-so sounds, so maybe a little clearer, though much louder, but with more prominent bass if you put in subs. Choosing the B option allows you to 'clean up' the sound, by compensating the so-so stock sound by dsp adjustments, and most importantly to be able to have sound stage control.

Let me know if you want to know more.

A brudder here reco Tye. This is GOOD, but exp. But he got a dam gd ear (Albert) and can make mediocre amps sound much more exp than u can imagine due to his excellent award winning tuning.

I cannot afford, so am going to Autotrend, and then the tuning part, diy fm own experience, tho unfortunately, not award winning :) cos never even take part in any competitions. They are actually quite good in tuning too (Darren & Chin), but just that i am extremely fussy, and also basically am able to to my own tuning fm self study and tinkling w my own n frens stuff...
and if you go to Tye, DON'T EVER TRY TO TUNE YOURSELF. You are insulting their experience and skill there. Autotrend allows crazy people like me to screw-up-my-own-system, if i so chooses too.

so, there u go. Hope the above helps.
(I have no links at all to any shops mentioned, just a 3rd party observance, so dun kill me if i offend anyone/anything.

well...no links but got their address ? Thanks a lot... jus curious, why most people recommend changin the front speakers first ? is it that they are of very weak quality ?

Hi Rich,

No problem I think you posting here benefits all the forum readers instead! Anyways I'm currently running a cassette headunit with a alpine 6 cd changer with the HU. How much would this affect the pricing if any? So they best would be 2 channel amp each for both front and rear speakers?

Thanks
Jason

Hi Oneheadlight. are you reali one headlight? hmmm...

anyway, back to your question... it is mostly like trying to re-create listening to a real live concert performance in your car. actually. ALL the original speakers are quite crappy, else they'll charge us much more during the upfront buying price, so the first thing is to change the front speakers, and (if possible) the source of the sound itself, the headunit. Our stocks are actually mid-range Alpines, which i wud say is not too bad, so for those of us who are satisfied with that, then changing the front speaks will show immediate improvement.

Why front? well, usually we try to face the performer at the concert hall, so the sound comes fm the front. with a good setup, you close your eyes and play Marvin Gaye, and there he is singin in front of you, with his little quartet spread around your dashboard area... dats how gd it can get.

so natural priority of sinking into ICE ever-doom:
1. front spk
2. source (head unit)
3. rear spk
4. amps for front
5. amps for rear
6. subs
7. dsp (if ur head unit ones aren't gd enuf)
8. start fm top, but make sure your pocket is deeper this time.

cheers!
p.s. by the way, think u can try using the online yellowpages for the shop names mentioned : Tye Electronics (at Depot Rd), & Autotrend P/L (at Toa ayoh).

hi Jason, sori dun have the exact address, but Tye is somewhere in Depot Road (the last i know), and Autotrend at Toa Payoh near the golf driving range.
or you can try checking up the online yellowpages... :)

oneHeadlight said:
actually its the quality of the sound i m not happy with. I dont really wish to change the head unit... jus wondering if anyone has experience jus adding an amp and changing the speakers..

the radio reception is also pretty crappy come to think of it..

Hi

I tot so too! and added US Rainbow speakers on the front and US Infinity speakers for the back. I also included an amp and a Bazooka 8" base tube for base enhancement. I think my amp is 4 channels and 150w on each channel output.

Total setup is done at wee heng for close to about S$1500-S$1600.00 Can't really remember.

Need any help to bring you there just give me a call - 90682688.

[/url][/quote][/code][/list]

Thanks dude... i dont mind sounding stupid as long as i get to learn...and i have learnt a lot from you..so thanks again..

What do u reckon if i change change the front speakers, add an amp, and also change the back speakers without changing the HUnit.

Oh...i have always used MB Quart speakers...any opinion ?

Well, I believed that not many speakers' specs can fit the relatively small space that our stock speaker occupies. rainbow is one of those that can fit well and good. Your sound should improve with just the amps. But the base tube adds to your base need if you are a bassy person.

I like Wee Heng to install the speakers because they actually build a wooden bracket to support the back speakers to make the sound more solid. Most audio shops will just lay the speakers on the existing metal bracket which will cause alot of vibration.

Oh Yes, the speakers must be component speakers if you dun have a base tube.

All the best. :)

Hi Rich,

Found the address for Tye Electronics and Autotrend

Tye Electronics
Blk 4006 Depot Lane #01-64
Tel : 6270 8018

Autotrend
Blk 1002 Toa Payoh Ind Pk #01-1441
Singapore 319074

oneHeadlight said:
Thanks dude... i dont mind sounding stupid as long as i get to learn...and i have learnt a lot from you..so thanks again..

What do u reckon if i change change the front speakers, add an amp, and also change the back speakers without changing the HUnit.

Oh...i have always used MB Quart speakers...any opinion ?

Ref series & abv (Prem, Q-line) are fine, but Discus normally leaves more to be desired, tho it is actuali quite suitable for rears. Just be careful on the front, as our stock does not probably allow the MB-Q due to the depth... one probably may be Rainbow, as another bro here had suggested, tho not so easily available recently due to prev poor support fm the disty here, so not many dealers are keen... But if u do not mind a little surgery, most should fit well. (both front n rears are 6.5s)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okvipzip

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back