Help! Changed new air filter and engine make turbo BOV sound

Slow_poke_driver

Changed the air filter, from original to original.

Now the engine makes a turbo pressure release sound when I step a bit more and release. Like psst pssst pssst sound that ah beng cars make.

What could be wrong?

Torn a charge pipe or something?

No lost of power or engine error.

Re: Help! Changed new air filter and engine make turbo BOV sound

Which brand of air filter?

Hmmm check if the intake box cover was secured back properly . If there's a gap , you probably will hear the "bov" sound akin to those open / semi open pod intakes by aftermarket brands.

Meek;1091131 said:
Which brand of air filter?

From original to original leh...both are bmw brand box made by MANN filter...

ShaunJeremy;1091133 said:
Hmmm check if the intake box cover was secured back properly . If there's a gap , you probably will hear the "bov" sound akin to those open / semi open pod intakes by aftermarket brands.

I tried to fit back the box and still same effect...possible to have torn any connector joint when I opened the box?

Slow_poke_driver;1091135 said:
I tried to fit back the box and still same effect...possible to have torn any connector joint when I opened the box?

Well that could be a possibility .

if the "bov" sound is audible, I'm sure that the box is definitely not as tightly sealed as before.

Go to a WS to check?

Probably going to try remounting the air filter later this evening...if cannot then really must go workshop when I am free liao...

Took a short recording of the sound just now...

[video=youtube;G8LjVyEH68Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8LjVyEH68Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The ride has a DV and when there is excess pressure in the intake ducts - it releases to the atmosphere to keep the pre turbo side charged. And sound is made .......

That is if your turbo is making excess boost.

Else if its happening during idle ....... check the DV.

Car has gone workshop liao...

I remounted the air filter box but no difference.

Then i decided to just bring it to workshop and am really glad i did!

Along the way, the pressure release sound got louder, even with just normal driving. There was only slight sound with heavier right foot in the morning....then as i drove more, idle started fluctuating...and it got worse by the traffic light. Car did not lose power though. By the time i reached workshop, engine just shut down.:shock:

Oh my. Sounds like your car got asthma attack.

Slow_poke_driver;1091185 said:
Car has gone workshop liao...

I remounted the air filter box but no difference.

Then i decided to just bring it to workshop and am really glad i did!

Along the way, the pressure release sound got louder, even with just normal driving. There was only slight sound with heavier right foot in the morning....then as i drove more, idle started fluctuating...and it got worse by the traffic light. Car did not lose power though. By the time i reached workshop, engine just shut down.:shock:

Holy sh*t ... What did the WS say then . Curious to know too.

Wow. So much trouble caused by an air-filter change? I changed mine to K&N a year ago and runs ok leh.

I would pay to have that bov sound

Got the car back earlier today.

MA diagnosis: initially told could be ignition, then traced to a pipe issue at turbo. Pipe was out of stock, but they managed to source one from malaysia dealer.

Overall quite pleased with MA's response, considering that i had walk in without any appointment. Although i was not able to get my regular SA, the guy that helped me was equally good. I was kept updated constantly.

Whether it was my fault when changing filter or just coincidental that it happened one day after...well, the car was still fine on the day of change and the morning after, and i didn't see any part of the front intake that i touched being replaced with new bits...so...

Slow_poke_driver;1091436 said:
Got the car back earlier today.

MA diagnosis: initially told could be ignition, then traced to a pipe issue at turbo. Pipe was out of stock, but they managed to source one from malaysia dealer.

Overall quite pleased with MA's response, considering that i had walk in without any appointment. Although i was not able to get my regular SA, the guy that helped me was equally good. I was kept updated constantly.

Whether it was my fault when changing filter or just coincidental that it happened one day after...well, the car was still fine on the day of change and the morning after, and i didn't see any part of the front intake that i touched being replaced with new bits...so...

Charge pipe ?

But wow , quite surprised that a charge pipe failure can cause engine shutdown . I thought at most engine limp mode .

Thanks for sharing .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s666boston

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back