Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

jeanie said:
thanks t6.
wat vkool u using btw?mine is vkool70 front windscreen which is 'illegal'.
i have problems with my transponder entering my own apartments :angry:

i did run through the malsing website.i saw so many updates i dont even know which one to dl.is there specifically one that can dl the entire msia map?or i can only dl one town by one town?pardon me in advance if it's leichey for you to ans me as u've told me to surf it myself but i'm totally lost :nehnehhh: :)

Have PMed u. :) ..................

Ahbengdriver said:
I got the Nuvi 310 as well. If u hv an idea how to hot-wire it asthetically, pls share share. :)

A fellow GTI owner will be helping me out. So not sure abt your ride. For sure I do not have to cut off any wire from the Nuvi charger which is a good thing. When I switch on my car engine, it will auto-charge.

If u do it Chickenbackside way, will need to cut off the charger socket head.

t6 u got pm.

just got my 310 from perfect watch.
i really really dislike the boss's attitude.so wanted to walk out of the shop.
in the end, it was one of the lady who attended to me.
:furious:

Hi,

I'm considering getting the VDO dayton either MS2000 or navigation computer PC5600 w MM5010 monitor. Wonder any bro can comment on the above mentioned system in-term of sensitivity and map accuracy compare to Garmin Nuvi 310/360 or even C320?
I
'm currently using PDA w mapking & Rakaline 6033 GPS reciever, the sensitivity is poor at times esp driving out from basement carpark! Therefore, i need to get one with good sensitivity(that can can fix to sat fast) and with acceptable map accuracy.

T6;135491 said:
A fellow GTI owner will be helping me out. So not sure abt your ride. For sure I do not have to cut off any wire from the Nuvi charger which is a good thing. When I switch on my car engine, it will auto-charge.

If u do it Chickenbackside way, will need to cut off the charger socket head.

I think one can easier buy another wire that adapts to the NUVI for the hot wiring. That way no need to cut the car charger wire. if go overseas can bring the NUVI with u and pluck into rented car :)

mmm BTW yr hot wiring do already or not? :cloud9:

I 'stumbled' (that's my story, so please don't blow my cover) across Perfect Watch on the weekend and walked away with a lovely Nuvi 310. Set to British English, we decided she will be known as Carmen (Carmen Garmin).

She sits very discreetly by the IC unit and integrates nicely in my E90. Very much against dangling wires to the armrest power plug, and also against the idea of pulling the dashboard apart for permanent power (I'm sure it will rattle and squeak incessantly from that moment on!) I have opted to recharge at night using a Motorola phone charger from the wall.

Now that I have moved on from seeking directions to the 7eleven on the corner, I'm sure the battery will last pretty well.

Now, Carmen seems to have an aversion to certain streets. Holland Road is one of them. Not sure if she perhaps had a bad experience previously... rather than go up Sixth Avenue to Holland Road and turn left, she likes to travel through Jln Haji Alias, Coronation, Binjai Park etc... all very nice to see the posh houses, but not as efficient as Sixth to Holland. I changed the setting from 'avoid traffic' to 'avoid roundabout scenic routes', but she's still pretty insistent on taking the odd way round.

My other observation is that her maps aren't quite up to date. For instance, the Portsdown link from AYE to Queensway is unknown to Carmen. She just about had a coronary when I took this 'crosscountry' route on my way home last night. After a few panicked 'recalculating's (picture the Robot on Lost in Space: 'Danger, Danger Will Robinson!') she settled down after working out we were safely on Queensway.

We will continue to have our differences of opinion, and I do appreciate her new ideas and interesting routes. Most of the time, she's flexible, which is a nice change from the co-driver's attitude to navigational duties (although the 'U-turn' requests are a bit pushy!), and I'm sure she'll learn over time when NOT to talk over the music.

Overall, a welcome addition to any family!

grahame;137781 said:
Now, Carmen seems to have an aversion to certain streets. Holland Road is one of them. Not sure if she perhaps had a bad experience previously... rather than go up Sixth Avenue to Holland Road and turn left, she likes to travel through Jln Haji Alias, Coronation, Binjai Park etc... all very nice to see the posh houses, but not as efficient as Sixth to Holland. I changed the setting from 'avoid traffic' to 'avoid roundabout scenic routes', but she's still pretty insistent on taking the odd way round.

My other observation is that her maps aren't quite up to date. For instance, the Portsdown link from AYE to Queensway is unknown to Carmen. She just about had a coronary when I took this 'crosscountry' route on my way home last night. After a few panicked 'recalculating's (picture the Robot on Lost in Space: 'Danger, Danger Will Robinson!') she settled down after working out we were safely on Queensway.

Cld well be that u set the route to the shortest route. The Nuvi will then take u through all its own fanciful shortcuts.

Yes, the Portsdown Rd is not there. Not even the much older South Buona Vista Rd. U may wish to consider downloading more current maps from malsing website.

Ahbengdriver;137457 said:
I think one can easier buy another wire that adapts to the NUVI for the hot wiring. That way no need to cut the car charger wire. if go overseas can bring the NUVI with u and pluck into rented car :)

mmm BTW yr hot wiring do already or not? :cloud9:

Not yet. Hope to wire up by this weekend. The approach wld not require wire-cutting or dash board removal. The supplied charging cable will be connected to a cigarette lighter extension cable which in turn will be plugged into one of the GTI's fuse boxes. The fuse compartment is located on the right side of the GTI juz below the right air-con vent. So I do not have to run cables further then that. All the extension cables etc wld be hidden within the fuse compartment area as there is some empty space there.:)

Just wonder how is the Garmin software mapping compare with the Garmin Que which I'm using on my O2 mini. Was it the same graphic as what you have downloaded from the malsingmaps ?
The issues that I faced with the GPS PDA was slow in getting the
satelite reception and I cannot see the map clearly on a bright daylight. ]

p/s. sorry for the pic. taken using camera phone.

i have used, Mapking, Garmin Que, Nuvi and the BMW GPS...the Nuvi wins!
take a test drive bro!

Any anybody provide a feedback on the functionability of the bluetooth?

1. Can it display Caller-ID?
2. Download Phone book (Outlook contact list)
3. Read SMS?
4. Integrate w a bluetooth keyboard

Thanks.

went to Perfect Watch last week, about to buy the 310 but sadly was told no stock! only 300 and 360 available currently. according to the boss, 310 is having some Bluetooth problems therefore the supplier stop getting them in. is this for real? so far any problem with your 310 bluetooth? anybody?
then, i was so keen to buy the 360 but the price is way too much they are asking! so i said forget it i'll wait for the 310 when the bluetoth issue resolved in a couple of weeks or months' time since i really no need to have European map with it and the street name voice command...

tom_ting;152710 said:
went to Perfect Watch last week, about to buy the 310 but sadly was told no stock! only 300 and 360 available currently. according to the boss, 310 is having some Bluetooth problems therefore the supplier stop getting them in. is this for real? so far any problem with your 310 bluetooth? anybody?
then, i was so keen to buy the 360 but the price is way too much they are asking! so i said forget it i'll wait for the 310 when the bluetoth issue resolved in a couple of weeks or months' time since i really no need to have European map with it and the street name voice command...

Not true bro. The Nuvi 310s that are being sold locally wld come with firmware version 2.30 or 2.40. But Garmin has been coming up with newer versions of firmware. The latest version is Version 3.20 liao. So for me, I previously encountered problems coz when I uploaded one of the latest firmware, I lost my bluetooth capability. I subsequently found the solution. I simply have to do a hard reset to clear the old bluetooth firmware. The problem with updating of firmware is that sometimes in the course of updating, the bluetooth firmware gets corrupted. It is a problem that can be solved. I was one of those who reported to Perfect Watch my bluetooth problem but I have since solved it.

Garmin is very progressive. Their firmware gets better and better. For e.g., the latest firmware 3.20 even allows you to send and receive sms on compatible phones.

So if you intend to update your firmware, download the updated firmware from Garmin into your computer first. In that way, you will always have older version of firmware in your computer which you can revert to if the new firmware does not work well with your phone (sometimes, your phone model is just too new for Garmin who may have been doing user-testing on older models).

The 310 is very popular is is much cheaper than a 360 and is more than enuff for local use. The main diff is no text to speech and a small hardisk.

If Perfect Watch has no stock, go get from Allbright Tech on 3rd floor of Textile Centre. Enjoy!:cloud9:

PM me if you need further assistance. I am no teckkie but I will help if within my domain knowledge.

alrite T6, thanks bro! very informative and helpful.

could you also let me know the BBS shop that you got your CH? many thanks

Can someone ive me the Tel no. of Allbright Tech on 3rd floor of Textile Centre?

Tried SL Square yesterday, no luck!

thanks

I'm also keen on the nuvi 310.

Can any bros here post allbright tech's number? Want to check if they have stock.

Many thanks.

Garmin is good, I ve been moving ard in Johor in little tight streets. gets u there n back home. It can also guide me all the way to the Thai Border. Time to get a SUV ...kekeke

GARMIN NUVI ....Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daoquangminh

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back