F8x M3/M4

Re: F8x M3/M4

Has anyone figured out if the servotronic, damping and engine mode defaults can be modified? Even just retaining memory from last used setting would be great.

To add to the long list of pros of F80 over E90 from my experience, chinese characters can finally be displayed on iDrive. Still doesn't work for the instrument cluster or HUD, but that's good enough for me.

L3stat;1114301 said:
Has anyone figured out if the servotronic, damping and engine mode defaults can be modified? Even just retaining memory from last used setting would be great.

To add to the long list of pros of F80 over E90 from my experience, chinese characters can finally be displayed on iDrive. Still doesn't work for the instrument cluster or HUD, but that's good enough for me.

As far as I know, you can't change the default settings. You may want to configure one of the two M buttons to your preferred daily driving mode. Mine is set to same preference as Chris Harris' comfort for steering and damping but sports for gearing. The advantage of using the M button is that the exhaust open up fully so car sounds a lot better.

Ok yeah I've done that. Just find it odd (and a waste) that the default values are a pretty strange combination. Sport servotronic and damping but eco engine. I can understand eco engine from the emission standards point of view but sport for the others to go with that? Weird. Just find it a waste of a useful setting. If the defaults can be tweaked then I'll have 3 modes to play around with. On the E90, start-up damping (memory) and engine modes (default, except sports plus) can be set to your preference.

The exhaust valves are linked to your selected engine mode I think. Setting eco on the M presets still keeps the valves closed until 4k rpm.

I quite like the amplified induction noise actually...

F80 M3 so far has not put that smile back on my face the way e90 M3 does....
just like F1 loses its glitters due to muffled engine screams....
the new gen M are fast and improved chasis and weight but we were spoilt of the NA V8 or V10...it is hard to go otherwise...

zag;1114364 said:
F80 M3 so far has not put that smile back on my face the way e90 M3 does....
just like F1 loses its glitters due to muffled engine screams....
the new gen M are fast and improved chasis and weight but we were spoilt of the NA V8 or V10...it is hard to go otherwise...
+1.

No doubt new F8x M3/M4 has more power but after sitting in one, won't be selling my E92 M3. NA v8 is pure sex, sound is critical part of driving experience. Natural v8/v10 thundering roar over artificially generate sound from speakers any day. Hey, E9x M3 still looks good :)

Reactions: ffl

Completely agree. That S65 is one piece of work. I am actually planning to buy back a lightly used E92 M3 later this year. I miss its sound badly :(
JuzMe;1114417 said:
+1.

No doubt new F8x M3/M4 has more power but after sitting in one, won't be selling my E92 M3. NA v8 is pure sex, sound is critical part of driving experience. Natural v8/v10 thundering roar over artificially generate sound from speakers any day. Hey, E9x M3 still looks good :)

Look for us for the Chinese Character Activated in your Instrument Cluster and HUD, 5 min job.

Today one F82 M4 came to our workshop, we found it has a small LCD without Bluetooth and Navigation, without Power side mirrors. I heard that there might be 10 plus same M4 on the road. If you are the one, for sake of safe driving, feel free to come to us to get your Bluetooth Activated at very very very low price. Here is what we did for this M4:

13051664_1337914002890407_4261462000247050233_n.jpg

13015484_1337908556224285_5348574082353132822_n.jpg

Heh guys. Hows the going for everyone here. Wanted some suggestions and advice.

Currently driving an E92 N55 335i. Love it. Great and fun car so far but the time has come to find a replacement. One of the obvious shortlisted model was definitely the current M3/M4. Went for the test recently, was impressed with the power n styling but also utterly dissappointed with the sound and drive in sports n sports+. How did BMW M made such a mess. The car sounded weird, and not just that....and noise very intrusive in the cabin. When the test car was fired up, the first 20 secs was shockingly loud and then it quite down and was ok for a while. But thats not good. On our roads, S and S+ is literally not drivable. Comfort mode is still stiff but probably thats what you will use 99% of time. The e-brake(if thats what its called) literally almost broke my back. And, the car does not move in fwd or reverse gear, until gas-ed. I was told all sports car are like that, right....not something I like. also, one could feel the vibration on the floor thru your feet. Why is the insulation so poor, did they do it to reduce material to cut off weight?

Now I am in a dilemma....maybe M3/M4 may not be my next car. How many of you have this experience when you were shortlisting this car. What did you go for in the end in the same price range? The new 718 Boxter S, or Macan-S / GTS ? Jag? AMG?

COE bro, just follow your heart. Buy the car that will make you smile everyday.

The first 20 secs of loud exhaust comes from the cold start feature of all M cars. Some love it and some hate it. It can be disabled. The S and S+ modes in an M are tuned for much more aggressive driving (compared to non M models) and does feel jerky and sometimes back breaking in start stop traffic. I find myself in comfort mode all the time in Singapore traffic conditions. The M buttons on the steering wheels are very useful to quickly switch between comfort and M modes.

You are right that the car does not inch forward or backward until lightly gased. It needs some getting used to as it'll break your back if you gased too much.

Not sure if the insulation is a problem but I guess its designed that way bcos most M drivers love the feel of vibrations and subtle rumbling sound of the engine. Personally I don't like it during my daily driving but it does give me a lot of excitemeny in spirited driving.
The Macan and Boxter is a different class of lovely cars. I also test driven Jags and AMG... i still prefer an M....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Reactions: ffl
Heh guys. Hows the going for everyone here. Wanted some suggestions and advice.

Currently driving an E92 N55 335i. Love it. Great and fun car so far but the time has come to find a replacement. One of the obvious shortlisted model was definitely the current M3/M4. Went for the test recently, was impressed with the power n styling but also utterly dissappointed with the sound and drive in sports n sports+. How did BMW M made such a mess. The car sounded weird, and not just that....and noise very intrusive in the cabin. When the test car was fired up, the first 20 secs was shockingly loud and then it quite down and was ok for a while. But thats not good. On our roads, S and S+ is literally not drivable. Comfort mode is still stiff but probably thats what you will use 99% of time. The e-brake(if thats what its called) literally almost broke my back. And, the car does not move in fwd or reverse gear, until gas-ed. I was told all sports car are like that, right....not something I like. also, one could feel the vibration on the floor thru your feet. Why is the insulation so poor, did they do it to reduce material to cut off weight?

Now I am in a dilemma....maybe M3/M4 may not be my next car. How many of you have this experience when you were shortlisting this car. What did you go for in the end in the same price range? The new 718 Boxter S, or Macan-S / GTS ? Jag? AMG?

Bit similar to your exprience when test drove new M4. IMHO the driving experince sucks versus my current E92 M3. Yeah, lovely interior of F82 but that's all I like. Hate that lawn mower exhaust note which is further destroyed by artificially exhanced sound via inetrior speakers (WTF! Right?). Lack of ride comfort was another aspect which was literally a pain-in-the-ass no matter what setting I put it in. Personally prefer E92 M3's EDC which give better feedback on lowest and higher setting (middle setting doesn't do much though).

Definitely I won't be getting F8x M3/M4. Still prefer linear power and sound of NA engines, and likely be going for the new Audi R8 v10 or maybe AMG within 2 years' time.

Follow your heart bro, go test those cars you listed and pick the one that sing to you.

Heh guys, hows everyone doing. Am back for another M4 review and feedback post.

Went with a friend to Munich Auto to check out the latest M4 recently. As the previous trial on the M4 awhile ago was not pleasant, I haven't been keeping track of development of this car. Now the model is offered with 20 inch rims and CF here and there. Think they now sell it as the Performance edition? 450bhp machine now.

Ok the difference vs the first M4 I drove before. This is much much better. I think ///M division took all the customer feedback globally and tweaked the car. Comfort level in S+mode was reasonably comfortable similar to D-mode, making the car more drivable as a daily drive. The noise level is somewhat less intrusive. Test car was yellow with CF all over. Great improvement over the previous test car some 2 years back.

Am beginning to like and rethink this car. Anyone has taken delivery of the latest M4. Care to share your bit of ownership.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jalaliveco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back