F30 Owner: Does your steering produces such sound?

Re: F30 Owner: Does your steering produces such sound?

Same problem for me. The moment i drove out of PML upon collecting the new car i heard it making the U turn at Alexandra. Turned back and have it checked. Lazy sales person try to mislead me saying this is "BMW signature sound" as if i never driver one before (duh...). Service advisor tried to play along the same story with just minor lubrication and adjustment but i insisted on going for a test drive with a mechanic. During the test drive, the mechanic tell me this is common defect with 3 series, due to a part call "SZL" that power the airbag in steering. To resolve the sound, the whole part has to be replaced. That probably explains why the agents always try to talk you out of it...

Re: F30 Owner: Does your steering produces such sound?

The steering column switch cluster has a part that rotates around (part in the centre that looks like a donut) - the steering angle sensor. It's the only mechanical component for the module. The other stalks are not part of the module per se.

It's quite an expensive module and sounds don't generate fault codes which means it's up to the mech to justify the case up I suspect.

View attachment 65925

When I played with the module - it does a different sound though ........

For those out of warranty -

Whatever it is - don't spray or drench it with wd40 thinking some lubrication might help with the noises. Not a good thing for the steering angle sensor (part 4) might lead to a need for replacement.

You might want to remove the airbag, steering and stalks and trace out where the sound is from.

Navy Seal;1108644 said:
Same problem for me. The moment i drove out of PML upon collecting the new car i heard it making the U turn at Alexandra. Turned back and have it checked. Lazy sales person try to mislead me saying this is "BMW signature sound" as if i never driver one before (duh...). Service advisor tried to play along the same story with just minor lubrication and adjustment but i insisted on going for a test drive with a mechanic. During the test drive, the mechanic tell me this is common defect with 3 series, due to a part call "SZL" that power the airbag in steering. To resolve the sound, the whole part has to be replaced. That probably explains why the agents always try to talk you out of it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet41so

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back