Experience with removing runflats. Were your rims scratched?

Slow_poke_driver

Time for me to change tyres again...need recommendation for a shop that is properly equipped to take off these stupid rft.

Two years ago I went to a reputable (and pretty popular) tyre shop to remove a set of RFT. The result was horrible and the shop scratched 3 out of 4 of my rims. The scratches are as shown in the photos. A bit like kerb rash, but the damage was smooth and continuous along the circumference. As usual, tyre shop claimed:the scratches were there.

View attachment 67961View attachment 67962

From my understanding, it seems to be an issue of workers fark care and the shop not having the proper equipment required for RFT removal.

Where did you remove your RFT? Did the shop cause scratches to the rims when removing or mounting the tyres?

Re: Experience with removing runflats. Were your rims scratched?

I would like to know too. Time to change out my RFT soon as well.

Is it any different from normal tyres? Pardon my ignorance.

My previous car's tyre changed at li hong at BT batok. Not run flats but no issues.

I went to autokinetics at macpherson road..u might wana try check them out..those guys who are running d biz are young and have impeccable knowledge

Angwee sia... SPD.

I think many really fark care lor.

RFT have extremely stiff sidewalls making it hard to remove without a lot of force, if a shop applies the same techique used on a normal tire they may end up damaging the rim. Some shops have machines to do this (rare), another shop I went to used a lot of grease and a plastic spatula like device to remove tire.

davidaxltay;1117867 said:
Is it any different from normal tyres? Pardon my ignorance.

Thanks for your advice. Will look for shops who do RFTs. :)

No worries, just note all shops will claims they can do rft's heh. The shop I went too was very small family run biz and the owner did it himself. I had my tyres patched up twice there and the owner did it himself so I have a pretty good impression of the patch service and the skill to remove the tyres although the prices aren't the cheapest. (plus they open on Sunday lol)

If you want the shop details please pm me (shops that patch rft don't like to advertise), but if you do visit please stress not to damage the rims. Its been sometime since I have been there so not sure if things have change.

You can see the details of my experience on this post.
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/tyres-rims/53735-patching-rft-help.html#post696331

davidaxltay;1117961 said:
Thanks for your advice. Will look for shops who do RFTs. :)

sieben7077;1117872 said:
My previous car's tyre changed at li hong at BT batok. Not run flats but no issues.

Agreed! LiHong is good! He has a setup with 2 arms as compared to most common tyre shop with only 1 arm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet41so

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back