e90 323 whining sound between 70km/h to 85km/h?

ferd

Hi,

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Its a high pitch whining that occurs at that speed range. I went for a test drive with one of the PML testers and he said it was the throttle sound....

Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers!

Re: e90 323 whining sound between 70km/h to 85km/h?

bro,

believe it is the final drive. i got mine replaced so should you!

yeah i thought so, here i go again... somethings never change... gotta keep complaining....

thanks for the advise...

ferd;160912 said:
Hi,

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Its a high pitch whining that occurs at that speed range. I went for a test drive with one of the PML testers and he said it was the throttle sound....

Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers!

Hi
Shouldnt PML replacing a complete gearbox instead of replaciing the final drive only?

I think they were refering to replacing the rear differetial. :)
The final drive is in it. :)

megatnh;161588 said:
Hi
Shouldnt PML replacing a complete gearbox instead of replaciing the final drive only?

Hi guys,

I am a new owner of 323i.... am experiencing the problem that you guys mentioned..the 'whining' sound. Need your advice on this. Thanks.

Not an expert in motor stuff, so wanna clarify, is the sound coming from the front or back? Mine seems to be coming from the front middle/left side.

Went down to PML to check and the technician said its normal. Said something about the valves channelling to the pipe that is not insulated, that's why the sound is so obvious... It is a common prob for 320 and 323 (insulation only done up for 325/330)... and advised me to go back after 5000Km if the sound persists...

Is this the same prob as the 'final drive' you mentioned? Are the PML ppl trying to 'siam' me by saying its a normal prob??

Thanks!

hi my E90 320 has same problem...sound only on >130km/h. sent in last wk technician said diff thing - run flat tyres. ha! so what is what?!!! throwing smoke screen again. then again seldom hit > 130 km/h on Sgp roads. will monitor

mine's slightly diff, sound comes in between 40 - 80km mark either accelerating or decelerating, and happens only at ranges of 38-41, 48-51, 58-61, 68-71, 78-81. outside these, its fine. will monitor for a while more before going in cos hate the hassle

Wah! Lots of different explanation but it all points to...... "Its like that". Why am I not surprised.

i didn't really monitor at what speed the sound comes up...but if my ears are not failing me, it starts pretty much right away when i step on the accelerator...damn irritating.. like a boiling kettle!

I wonder...how can it be 'normal'??

Oh another thing guys, does your steering give off some wierd/hard sound when u steer to the max? It is also said to be...'normal'...

havent had time to do it.... i sent it in once... the guy told me its the iL6 engine throttle (its like that) .... i mean honestly... if u think about it, if its the throttle... wouldn't it be at a certain RPM and not KM/H (speed) ? sounds like a kettle or the car got asthma man....haha

I'm gonna go back again... but i've got CD changer audio quality issues, center arm rest alignment problems, and my rear windscreen rubber has been falling off since day 2...., axle knocking when changing from D to R or vice versa since the car is 1 week old, climate control is a little wacked aircon blower sometimes like cannot blow.... so i'm collecting a list of issues and then gonna send the car back.... but then again, i know others have replaced the axle ... after a while the noise comes back again.... so what would u do? send it in again? i bought a car to drive it around not leave it in the workshop... so i suggest u go back with multiple issues otherwise u'll waste more of your precious time...

yes, u will need to complain a few times before they do anything... like my previous e46.... complain and complain before they change anything under warranty... either that or CSA like u....

and honestly, i hate sending the car back to them... either u get paint chips or dings from the over crowded workshop or they scratch your paintwork when they wash your car....

ya fully agree with ferd, with PML's after sales reputation (mayb lack of wld be more appropriate), better keep the going down to the bare minimum...what more our car is to be driven not lying in the workshop

I have the same whining sound on mine E90 320 as well. I believe it emanates from the front rather than the rear of the vehicle, and does not appear to correlate with throttle level. In fact it varies in pitch at different speeds.

I have been advised that this sound is caused by the design of the air intake manifold (not sure what this is) and it is inherent in all E90 320s. No solution available yet to alleviate this problem.

just to share, i sent the car in today. got another tester for a second opinion. he confirmed its the axle that is causing the whine....

anyway, i got there gave the CSA a sheet of paper with 9 problems that I'm complaining about... the tester i got today was fantastic, malay chap didn't get his name though, when for a test drive and through each item on the list...

now i hope i get the car back with no scratches or dings ... and with the list of problems rectified not nothing new added....

I originally didn't have this problem but the other day, I thought I heard a soft whistling noise when I accelerated. I could've been dreaming since I've not heard it since but will keep an eye (or ear) out for it.

Ferd, you seem to have quite a rotten experience with your car. I'm not experiencing any problems at the moment (touch wood, TOUCH WOOD!!) though I should say that I may not be as observant as the rest of you.

My only grouse at the moment is my fuel consumption which I'll raise in a separate thread.

So far so good for me.

BTW.. once your car has run-in, its good to once in a while rev the fella. Too much start stop traffc is real bad.

yo ferd, care to share your results and the list of 9 problems? tks

just got the car back today, need more time to confirm that the issues has been resolved.

my complain was about the following:

1. center console cover stiff (the catch mechanism is not latching properly)
2. rear windscreen rubber strip keeps falling off
3. axle slamming when changing from R to D or vice versa (ocassional, but since 1 week i got the car)
4. auto headlight sensor too sensitive, asked to reduce sensitivity
5. cd changer audio quality not consistent
6. axle whining from 70 km/h to 85 km/h
7. sticky brakes from stationary after releasing paddle, must tap on accelerator before the brake releases
8. steering wheel has a tug when i'm turning and moving off from stationery, did not steer fully yet
9. steering wheel vibrations when driving straight feels like free play

they say brake issue is normal because of the DTC feature
waiting for the replacement axle, will keep u guys posted when it happens...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daoquangminh

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back