E85 roof failed!

Re: E85 roof failed!

Red_Bean_Bun;992400 said:
On your second point ... The answer is yes. You would need strong arms though ...... And an Allen key.

Realised the horrendeous English in my previous post. It was 7 on a sunday morning. Pardon me.

Thanks, will look into that more online on manual operation of the roof.

What about the conversion from soft top to hard top? Anyone heard or seen this change before?

Not really a conversion ..... It's a hard top "cover" that you put on top of the soft top.

macbeth;992410 said:
Realised the horrendeous English in my previous post. It was 7 on a sunday morning. Pardon me.

Thanks, will look into that more online on manual operation of the roof.

What about the conversion from soft top to hard top? Anyone heard or seen this change before?

I found some images on google.. Looks promising. The hard top "cover" does it retract with the soft top or must it be removed manually first? Sorry if it is really obvious.. This is only going to be my 2nd car and the first wasn't a roadster.

Does not retract .... need to hoist it on / off the car.

macbeth;992441 said:
I found some images on google.. Looks promising. The hard top "cover" does it retract with the soft top or must it be removed manually first? Sorry if it is really obvious.. This is only going to be my 2nd car and the first wasn't a roadster.

I think with age the hard top mechanism will definitely break down.. This possibility increases if the E85 is parked in the open. I got mine and it broke down after 8 months. However, aft my repair at J4C its working flawlessly. I met before another E85 buddy here that is using his arm muscles to open and close his top. I think that's tad troublesome for me.

Red_Bean_Bun;992446 said:
Does not retract .... need to hoist it on / off the car.

just to add on to RBB's tip, you have to retract the soft top then place the hard top attachment to the car. I contemplated getting one till i realized the soft top would be folded up for prolonged periods and end up very creased.

Prefacelift (PFL) E85s roof motors have more issues due to water drainage issues. Motor housing seals was addressed in 2005 (but i don't know if any late model PFL units had the fix).

Last edited by a moderator:

I think PFL/FL all use the "fixed" motors now .... more water resistant.

That was one heck of a fun car ......

motorknut;992479 said:
just to add on to RBB's tip, you have to retract the soft top then place the hard top attachment to the car. I contemplated getting one till i realized the soft top would be folded up for prolonged periods and end up very creased.

Prefacelift (PFL) E85s roof motors have more issues due to water drainage issues. Motor housing seals was addressed in 2005 (but i don't know if any late model PFL units had the fix).

Red_Bean_Bun;992486 said:
I think PFL/FL all use the "fixed" motors now .... more water resistant.

That was one heck of a fun car ......

What? You sold your red E85 liao??

Red_Bean_Bun;996580 said:
Yeah ...... its gone.

Your roof ok already ?

What's next after E85? I also need to change car maybe next year coz I need more seats! :(

Sending my car to 2277 this Fri. I'm hoping it's just the sensor/remote or the aftermarket GapTech module I installed for remote opening and closing of the roof that is damaged.

Good luck .....

Double check the wiring.......there's a cable near the roof mechanism that sometime has a bad connection. Mine had that problem. Gave it a jiggle and the roof opened.

valjean;997011 said:
What's next after E85? I also need to change car maybe next year coz I need more seats! :(

Sending my car to 2277 this Fri. I'm hoping it's just the sensor/remote or the aftermarket GapTech module I installed for remote opening and closing of the roof that is damaged.

Finally got it fixed. Was a faulty relay, and cost under $300 to replace inclusive of labour charges. Very happy the (expensive) motors are intact!

Electrical problems ...... Heng ah ....

valjean;997909 said:
Finally got it fixed. Was a faulty relay, and cost under $300 to replace inclusive of labour charges. Very happy the (expensive) motors are intact!

latest update.. my roof cant open again.. now my car in workshop.. lets see what is faulty this time....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksum88

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back