Dynamic Drive - how to know if its working

oomph

"Dynamic Drive: The optional Dynamic Drive active suspension system sets new standards in handling precision. Even in rapid cornering, it ensures optimum stability and comfort by minimising body roll via active anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles. The result is greater comfort for all occupants, and a smoother, more dynamic driving experience"

Do all Bimmers sold locally come with Dynamic Drive ? It sounds really good and I'm surprised at how its not played up at all - a secret weapon that eludes the competion.

For those who have it:
- When did it come into being, and have there been different versions of it ?
- How do you tell if it physically exists - any tell tale signs ?
- How do you tell when its working ?
- How do you tell if its working optimally/sub-optimally ?
- Is it possible to tweak it further ?

:confused:

Re: Dynamic Drive - how to know if its working

oomph said:
Do all Bimmers sold locally come with Dynamic Drive ? It sounds really good and I'm surprised at how its not played up at all - a secret weapon that eludes the competion.

For those who have it:
- When did it come into being, and have there been different versions of it ?
- How do you tell if it physically exists - any tell tale signs ?
- How do you tell when its working ?
- How do you tell if its working optimally/sub-optimally ?
- Is it possible to tweak it further ?

:confused:

Currently DD is only available on the 5,6 and 7 series. In the local specs, DD is standard on 645i (now 650i) and longwheel base 7s, i.e. 740iL, 750iL, 760iL.

It is very good, but not as good as Merc's ABC (active body control)

DD was launched with the current 7 series, not sure about different versions.

You can tell by looking under the car, where you usually find a standard anti-roll bar, you will see an anti-roll bar with a black actuator in the middle of it, both front and back

You can tell if it's working when you corner hard and the car doesn't roll. This thing really shines at the track and when you drive fast on long sweeping turns (eg. expressway exits and entrances). It really does make a big car like the 5 series, feel much smaller. I only realised how much it helped cornering when I drove a 5 series loaner that didn't have DD and tried to take a corner I do everyday at the usual speed and almost lost the car, tyres were screeching etc.

Can't tell if it working sub-optimally, although I did have a DD failure message come up once when pushing very hard on the track.

Not sure about being able to tweak it further, don't think so.

get someone to drive behind u. they will be able to tell by looking at ur car.

"Dynamic Drive" isn't on the 523i Limousine spec sheet, is it:

- "Automatic Stability Control + T (ASC)" or
- "Dynamic Stability Control (DSC III)

Its really starting to make me suspect that is some sort of an unheralded secret feature....

Hi oomph,

I believe Dynamic Drive is not available for smaller engined 5 series. When the E60 was launched, the smallest engine where it can be an option was the 525i. You can't have it on the 520i. I'm not sure about the 523i, PML should know.

BTW, it's a $10K option (in Singapore), so it's usually standard only on the higher capacity, higher spec BMW models.

So is it better to hvDD or a conventional adjustable AntiRoll Bar set up?

TripleM said:
So is it better to hvDD or a conventional adjustable AntiRoll Bar set up?

Jack, for tracking and sports, it's still better to have conventional anti-roll + coilovers, firm springs etc.

The problem with DD is response speed, it's never going to be that fast, if you're taking sweeping turns and corners, it's ok and it can react in time to minimize roll give you better cornering speed etc. But at the last track day, I found that it can make things unprredictable on the limit. I lost the rear a couple of times, (including one time in the wet, DSC was off) both times was at T8 (think it was slippery there). I found it very hard to catch the oversteer. In both instances I caught it the first time, but somehow the response from DD was such that the back snapped back real quick the other way, with more roll and possibly with the combination of active-steering + big car weight + stock suspension + bad driving, I just couldn't catch it again.

It was so different with the E90 at IDT, in pouring rain, I was able to powerslide, drift, oversteer almost at will. The IDT 330i has sports suspension and active-steering, but no DD. Maybe it's just a better chassis + smaller , lighter car.

Thanks Eggz.................

How about hard street driving e.g. fast start into a left turn at a traffic light junction, hard stop-starts in traffic... does it help ?

oomph said:
How about hard street driving e.g. fast start into a left turn at a traffic light junction, hard stop-starts in traffic... does it help ?

yes, Dynamic Drive will help you as long as you have traction. Once you're over the limit, especially in an oversteer situation, it will work against you in terms of making it harder for you to "sense" the rear and bring the car back.

I think this is the main reason true performance cars like the M5 and M6 don't have dynamic drive.

if you have DD, and not on a track, leave the DSC on.

eggz said:
yes, Dynamic Drive will help you as long as you have traction. Once you're over the limit, especially in an oversteer situation, it will work against you in terms of making it harder for you to "sense" the rear and bring the car back.

I think this is the main reason true performance cars like the M5 and M6 don't have dynamic drive.

if you have DD, and not on a track, leave the DSC on.

I'm convinced that its a secret weapon in its infancy...much more useful than those 'lower as you go' active suspensions. I'm going back to ask if my 523 has it or can retrofit one :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetmiami

Latest posts

Back