Clicking sound from steering wheel

DC3

I noticed a clicking sound from my steering wheel whenever I am turning the steering wheel while going slowly, like when parking (and no, I don't turn the steering wheel when stationary!). It has been there about 2 years but is getting worse.

Since car was under warranty, sent back to agent. Said they changed some ring in the steering wheel and the sound went off for a few days but came back.

Any bros out there have the same problem? My ride is a 2003 E46 320.

Re: Clicking sound from steering wheel

DC3 said:
I noticed a clicking sound from my steering wheel whenever I am turning the steering wheel while going slowly, like when parking (and no, I don't turn the steering wheel when stationary!). It has been there about 2 years but is getting worse.

Since car was under warranty, sent back to agent. Said they changed some ring in the steering wheel and the sound went off for a few days but came back.

Any bros out there have the same problem? My ride is a 2003 E46 320.

bro..think u bushing arm..get it chked

sound originated from steerinh wheel side? check for the side indicator return click.

What to look out for for the side indicator return click?

Is it a plastic sound, or a clunk sound that seems to come from the front wheels?

Racebred said:
sound originated from steerinh wheel side? check for the side indicator return click.
The sound seems to come from the steering wheel mounting itself, rather than from the suspension.
The sound is like a metallic clicking, as if a gear is slipping its teeth. I can feel the clicks when holding the steering wheel. The car steers normally and there is little or no free play on the steering wheel when stationary. The horn is also working fine. The steering wheel is completely stock.
Indicator clicks are OK both sides.

Its more an irritation and seems that it may be one of those noises a Bimmer driver has to live with!

You meant the airbag slip ring? It should solve the problem. If not get it replaced again.

Thanks for the info, Russo.

Think you are right. That may be what PML replaced in the first place. I used to have to park in the multi-storey car park which had many tight left hand turns, could be where the problem started.

Will get it replaced again and see.

Hi DC3,

Did you manage to get it fixed? Was it due to the airbag slip ring? Interested cause am hearing a similar clicking sound, although only occasionally. Do you only get it when turning and not when going straight?

Thanks

Haven't had it fixed yet. And yes, sound only occurs when turning at slow speeds, eg. parking the car.
If your car under warranty, go back to PML and get it fixed.

My oso having the same problem..........whenever in low speed and start turning...........the stupid sound pop out.

I try to spray some WD40 on it..............only last 4 few days..........then the sound start coming out.

Bro to let me know if u manage to solve the problem............

Really bei tahan the sound............ :angry: :angry:

Complaint
An intermittent cracking or clunking noise can be heard when the steering
is turned at low speed or when manoeuvring
Production period concerned: E65/E66: Start of series production up to week
29/04.
E60/E61/E63/E64, all right-hand-drive vehicles.
The only left-hand-drive vehicles (LHD) affected are vehicles with an N62 engine:
Start of series production up to week 26/04.

Important:The E60,E61, E63 and E64 are only affected by cause 2. Thus only measure 2 provides a solution. Carry out measures 1 and 3 only on the E65/E66.

Causes:
1. The tightening torque of the bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube has changed.
2. A gentle cracking noise from the telescopic toothing at the bottom of the steering spindle may be produced when the steering wheel is turned or when the steering column height is adjusted. This noise is caused by a slip-stick effect.
3. Burring can be detected on plastic bearing rings manufactured between 12/03 and 04/04. This burring can result in a cracking or grinding noise in individual cases.

Service measures:
Concerning cause 1: Replace the Torx bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube and tighten it to a torque of 28 Nm (refer to current EPC for Torx bolt). The torques in TIS are being updated accordingly.
Concerning cause 2: Treat the telescopic toothing on the steering spindle with a lubricant spray. BMW part number: 83 22 0 397
Concerning cause 3: Fit a new plastic bearing ring, BMW part
number 32 30 6 756 512 (see Repair Instructions 32 31
102).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sv388netin

Latest posts