Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

changing the springs

baracudax

Perhaps you may like to be more specific about the brand of spring.

Generally, after-market sport springs are shorter than stock ones, and will lower your ride by ~ 20-40 mm. Changing springs should allow you to take a corner faster and harder. The improvement in body roll however is not that significant, but overall it does feel more stable. If you really want to improve body roll, then should get a pair of Anti-Roll / Sway bars.

If you continue to use stock shocks with the new lower springs, the shocks will probably not last well too.. this may mean you have to change shocks earlier than if you use a stock spring / shock or after-market spring / shock combo.

so the ideal is to change the shocks plus spring, which i hear most people recommend SACHS. How long does a stock shocks last ? My ride is 2.5 yrs old but not sure if the previos owner changed anything, most prob not.

I read that shock / springs should last 2-3 years. But really, I feel it depends on individual's driving style.

For me, I used my stock suspensions for 2 + years, and recently changed to a set of 6 month old Sach shock/springs. Re: performance of Sach, it is actually quite soft & comfortable if you compare to most after market brands.

Suggest you do some research before commiting to a purchase.

i should have asked for the brand...which i didnt....cos i wasnt keen at first, but after i drove away..it keep bugging my mind..

oneHeadlight said:
i should have asked for the brand...which i didnt....cos i wasnt keen at first, but after i drove away..it keep bugging my mind..

Changing spring without changing shock will only gives u a lowered ride.

Performance will not be better since the shock is not changed. Worst, it will ended up mismatch and u will be scraping the hump most of the time since a lower spring will need to come with a stiffer shocks to prevent bottoming out..

oneHeadlight said:
so the ideal is to change the shocks plus spring, which i hear most people recommend SACHS. How long does a stock shocks last ? My ride is 2.5 yrs old but not sure if the previos owner changed anything, most prob not.

I agree about changing both shocks & springs because once I changed only the springs, the car looked slammed but like what Pig said, your shocks may not be able to "handle" the springs' compression and de-compression.

This was how my car looked like with lowered springs ONLY.

album_pic.php

Cheers

looks good... my ride is about 2.5 yrs old....should i change the shocks and springs yet.. ? mileage about 66k..

Springs last about "forever" but the dudes over here recommend to change the shocks in 2-3 yrs, depending on the usage of the car ;)

PS: I only lowered my car for 2wks before I got to bring it up, cuz my mum was scrapping the undercarriage of my car most of the time. :verysad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
good88bond
Back