Cannot reset oil change interval through computer software? Reset through cluster ok?

Slow_poke_driver

Went to a new workshop for oil change. First time there. Staff seems pretty inexperience compared to some of the site sponser...actually I suspect I may have better knowledge on the car if I were a technician. The whole oil change process was done properly for sure. Labour charge is very reasonable too.

Problem arised when the technician tried to help me reset my oil change interval using their computer system...the system couldn't connect to the car. I suspected the software on my car is too new, coz I know when you do coding, the car software version must match the istep or something...

I told the technician to reset using the instrument cluster...he said f10 cannot. I arm chioed.

Anyway I proceeded to reset my oil interval via instrument cluster after I left the workshop.

Left 1100km
View attachment 65901

Reset to 10000km
View attachment 65902

Re: Cannot reset oil change interval through computer software? Reset through cluster

Question is...what is the difference between using computer to reset service interval and using the cluster?

Will I suddenly get some software error further down the road?

Anyone did this before?

Re: Cannot reset oil change interval through computer software? Reset through cluster

The laptop can adjust anything - date, interval counter, mileage. Forward and backwards. And you can calibrate it around some of the weird oil intervals set in the dme.

The instrument cluster increases the counter by one and sets the date and mileage based on whatever OCI is set in the DME. Only forward. No adjustments possible.

I have seen a number of messed up counters where a 60k ride was serviced 25 times in the CBS and was corrected with my laptop.

And the WS - it's Codewerx that you were referring to - the one that does bmw software - quite an irony because we can't get your CBS sorted of all things simple.

I am on vacation and out of the WS ........ Back 1st week of Jan. If you would like ..... I'll check it for you when I am back.

Thanks for the feedback ......

Red_Bean_Bun;1108520 said:
The laptop can adjust anything - date, interval counter, mileage. Forward and backwards. And you can calibrate it around some of the weird oil intervals set in the dme.

The instrument cluster increases the counter by one and sets the date and mileage based on whatever OCI is set in the DME. Only forward. No adjustments possible.

I have seen a number of messed up counters where a 60k ride was serviced 25 times in the CBS and was corrected with my laptop.

And the WS - it's Codewerx that you were referring to - the one that does bmw software - quite an irony because we can't get your CBS sorted of all things simple.

I am on vacation and out of the WS ........ Back 1st week of Jan. If you would like ..... I'll check it for you when I am back.

Hi RBB, thanks for helping me do the service appointment on the very last min. Really appreciate. I really didn't want to name your workshop because it will sound like I am pointing finger. The job done was fair and proper, and the two techs there are friendly. Workflow can be easily optimised though...will pm you. Oh, and a torque wrench was used!

What I am more afraid of is...will the car suddenly stop functioning one day because of some software conflict due to resetting the interval through cluster? Even if counter or cbs is wrong, all it does is just give warning right? It is unlikely to cause the car to throw limp mode or what not right?

With this car I have problems when I diy...normally I walk away feeling happy and satisfied, only to find problem the next time I drive it. First was loosening a connector pin causing limb mode when I installed my tmc myself the first time...then was cracking an inlet pipe when I tried changed my air filter...phobia

Woa..... I didn't know you so tor kong ley. Kel!

Why r u still surfing forum while on vacation? Ur daughter should smack you

MW;1108528 said:
Why r u still surfing forum while on vacation? Ur daughter should smack you

More challenging mah ..... Surfing while trying to do ECP speed limit down this hill .....

View attachment 65904

RBB, respect. No, not about surfing down at suicidal speeds, but about manning up and taking responsibility for slow poke's experience. Not many I know would stand up to be counted! Enjoy your holiday, will SMS you about the re-coding of my F13 after the new year. Merry X'mas & Happy New Year!

Got balls, i like.
You still owe me my map.... Seems like its next year liao.
Enjoy your holiday and see you soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jalaliveco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back