Anyone changed ATF for BMW 2AT/GT

ikhg

Hi, anyone changed ATF for AT or GT? My workshop recommended changing ATF for my 8 yrs old AT although PML said no need to change as it is lifetime ATF. Recently, I noticed that car was jerky when gear changed from 1st to 2nd during cold start but smooth gear change thereafter. Does anyone have the same experience? BMW ATF VI is rather expensive so am looking for OEM ATF and pay workshop labour cost to replace. Any recommendation for OEM ATF?

Lifetime fluid of is a joke. Go ask PML what their definition of lifetime of car is and they will tell you 10 years after they expect your gearbox to start acting up and you to go buy a new car.
Any and all oils breakdown over time especially in city driving of lots of start stop and frequent gear changes. A quick check with your gearbox manufacturer e.g ZF will show a recommended oil change interval. Theres no such thing as BMW oil its all rebadged so they can sell you at a higher price.
For ZF gearbox the oil is ZF Lifeguard oil, you can purchase at Eng Soon for about $30++ /L and should take approx 6 or 7 bottles for a full flush. Remember to get the gearbox filter as well as that should be replaced along with the oil.
If you're complaining about the oil being expensive remember a gearbox is 7 to 10k to replace. Ask around outside workshops quote approx $400-$600 at the top end but if you buy everything yourself it'll save you 20% or so at a reputable workshop.

Lifetime fluid of is a joke. Go ask PML what their definition of lifetime of car is and they will tell you 10 years after they expect your gearbox to start acting up and you to go buy a new car.
Any and all oils breakdown over time especially in city driving of lots of start stop and frequent gear changes. A quick check with your gearbox manufacturer e.g ZF will show a recommended oil change interval. Theres no such thing as BMW oil its all rebadged so they can sell you at a higher price.
For ZF gearbox the oil is ZF Lifeguard oil, you can purchase at Eng Soon for about $30++ /L and should take approx 6 or 7 bottles for a full flush. Remember to get the gearbox filter as well as that should be replaced along with the oil.
If you're complaining about the oil being expensive remember a gearbox is 7 to 10k to replace. Ask around outside workshops quote approx $400-$600 at the top end but if you buy everything yourself it'll save you 20% or so at a reputable workshop.
I totally agree there is no such thing as lifetime atf. Think my 2AT is using AISIN 6 speed gearbox and not ZF so don’t know what OEM atf to buy. Genuine BMW atf is around $50+/L. No worth it to get Genuine BMW atf as bmw does produce atf. Anyone has info on what OEM atf to buy for 2AT, please share. Thanks!

I totally agree there is no such thing as lifetime atf. Think my 2AT is using AISIN 6 speed gearbox and not ZF so don’t know what OEM atf to buy. Genuine BMW atf is around $50+/L. No worth it to get Genuine BMW atf as bmw does produce atf. Anyone has info on what OEM atf to buy for 2AT, please share. Thanks!

Easy call up eng soon and ask they will tell you how many bottles you need what fluid to buy etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hb888pro1
Back