All about Z4 (E89/ E86/ E85) thread

Re: All about Z4 (E89/ E86/ E85) thread

For Z4 18" RFT...how much pressure do u pump for front 225/40 and rear 255/35?...

leebmer;534105 said:
For Z4 18" RFT...how much pressure do u pump for front 225/40 and rear 255/35?...

Sean,

The side wall of the tyres should have the info..........

cheers

hey guys !!!! there is an ad in classified selling Z4 23 at $145k only !!!
Wonder if there's any string attached or is it without COE ....

Jason8822;534128 said:

Could it be Imported Used vehicle?

if it is from a dealer then sure is without COE.......

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

zee4;531699 said:
hi guys! new here and getting my 23i in abt a wk's time.
Am contemplating switching the stock rims to 19''light alloys and would b gd if i can get some advice fr bros here.
Any 23i bros here have changed to a 19''?? If so,mind to share some feedback on how much it affects the FC?Thks in advance!

Welcome in.

I changed to 19" Dotz rims, staggered 265 back, 235 front. On board computer reads 9.5 li / 100 km.

Can't remember how much FC was using stock. Changed rims 1st day I got the car.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason8822;534128 said:
i think i saw that car. yes either used import or PI car. during good times Z4 from PI is as low as $168k.

leebmer;534105 said:
u inclined towards performance or comfort?

Slater;534177 said:
i think i saw that car. yes either used import or PI car. during good times Z4 from PI is as low as $168k.

The price has now skyrocketed into boxster territory (prior to porsche's price increase)!

cronoboy;534249 said:
The price has now skyrocketed into boxster territory (prior to porsche's price increase)!
screw it, they just wanna make a quick buck from increase coe. get brand new

leebmer;534280 said:
can quote for both version pls...
i would do 215 front and 235 rear for comfort and 225 front and 245 rear for performance.

i havent checked the pressure in my 17" RFT's. but its sure as hell hard!

To Leebmer and all bros who just collected Z4.

Just did a check on my front and rear 17" tyres using the BMW tyre pressure monitor and the readings were ridiculous!!! 41 psi/ 282.68 kpa in the front and 47psi/ 324.05 kpa!!!!

These readings are off the charts and definitely not reccommended! suggest you bring it to the nearest petrol kiosk to recalibrate to the desired tyre pressure.

BMW Z4 chassis secrets

Found this article quite interesting and wanted to sahre with you guys.....

Heinz Krusche is BMW’s chassis guru. Such people exist in every car company, but they don’t always have the power of Krusche.

He wields the same sort of influence as Jost Capito at Ford. There’s another genial genius – and look at how well Fords drive. Lotus, too, has Matt Becker, ensuring that every model drives sublimely.

So, speaking to Krusche is always enthusing. Here, then, are five reasons why the Z4 is another tick against his name.

1. Stiff Body In White
The basic bodyshell is 25 percent stiffer than before. Vital, said Krusche, for the entire driving experience. This torsional rigidity is the starting point, the vital gear in the cog. Without such a good starting point, he said, it is impossible to make cars drive well.

‘It is a big step down if the tolerances are too great.’ You can’t turn a fundamentally bad car into a good one with tweaks alone.

2. 3 Series front axle
The new Z4 uses the 2-joint front axle from the E90 3 Series (and also the various iterations of 1 Series). It’s vital, said Krusche, not least for improving feedback to steering.

With it, BMW can independently tune directional stability, steering feel and lane change stability. Curing a major flaw of the E85 Z4: its wearisome camber steer.

The rear axle, incidentally, is a development of the old Z4 (and is also on the X3). ‘There was no reason to change it,’ said Krusche.

3. Axially parallel layout electric power steering
The new Z4 also uses the axially-parallel EPAS system from the 3 Series. It means the engine isn’t sat on the steering column, so mass is reduced and a purer feel from the road is allowed. The electric motor is in parallel to the steering rack.

The EPAS system has also allowed Krusche to tune the frequencies from the road surface. Basically, you want to isolate high frequencies, but allow through low frequencies. Cumulative learning from the old, oft-criticised Z4 EPAS has allowed BMW to do this.

‘You can vary steering torque with the switch in the car,’ said Krusche. It means it can be (over) light in normal mode, meatier in Sport +.’

He’s tuned it so there is no resistance for when you need to make steering corrections – tidying up snap oversteer, for example. ‘We also vary the feel for when you come to the limit, adjusting the Servotronic function for more feedback.’

4. Greater understanding of run-flat tyres
The E85 Z4 was a run-flat pioneer, and earned much criticism for being so. The tyres’ necessarily stiff sidewalls, and greater weight, both counter ride fluidity. Almost a decades’ learning, plus BMW’s close collaboration with tyre maker Bridgestone (the rubber’s bespoke for the new Z4) mean big improvements.

The evidence of this learning is illustrated by driving the E60 5 Series alongside the newer E90 3 Series, for example. But for greatest contrast, feel how the E85 and E89 Z4s deal with impact harshness and sudden surface imperfections.

Krusche makes a further revelation here, though: again, close work with the Body In White team has led to yet more improvements. By working out the intricacies of where run-flats need compliance in the structure, and where they’ll benefit from extra stiffness, BMW’s been able to tune and filter the natural frequencies of the bodyshell to dramatically improve ride quality.

It’s all about incremental understanding, he said.

5. Change in BMW setup philosophy
Since the 1 Series Coupe, BMW has subtly tweaked its basic chassis setup to improve comfort. Spring rates are slightly softer, and dampers a little stiffer. This has been influenced, again, by knowledge from the characteristics of run-flats.

The secret to doing this well, says Krusche, is in damper tuning. By playing with internal baffles, the size of the holes within them, the rates of flow between the three internal champers – goodness, even the material of the plunger on the strut! – depth is engineered in. Fine art? Call it black magic…

Despite all this, though, Krusche says he doesn’t get the final sign off. It’s always down to the BMW Board – who, at least thrice a year, will drive test cars and give the final say-so.

Krusche can only do so much. The final Z4 we drove on the launch was not one chosen by him, but the good Dr. Ings. You have to say, all have not done a bad job…

leebmer;534425 said:
nice article...tks slater...
notice the portion on RFT's. the setup of the car and suspension is designed in conjunction with the RFT's. swapping out RFT's will compromise on handling and feel?

great info slater thks!
Collected me wife on thurs and hell lurving it buahaha..shall bring her down to adjust tyre pressure tmr and maybe try on new shoes on tues..but trade-in price is like sh*ts and new RFTs r like double the costs of normal ones...
any suggestions for a gd shoe shop for shopping??

zee4;534475 said:
great info slater thks!
Collected me wife on thurs and hell lurving it buahaha..shall bring her down to adjust tyre pressure tmr and maybe try on new shoes on tues..but trade-in price is like sh*ts and new RFTs r like double the costs of normal ones...

Ray-S Sports Rims
Leong Seng
Hurry Tyres
Stamford Tyres

depend on your budget, likes, etc... etc.......

happy searching
cheers

zee4;534475 said:
great info slater thks!
theres a new shop called pitstop tyres. heard very cheap. do check it out

Slater;534497 said:
theres a new shop called pitstop tyres. heard very cheap. do check it out

erm.. cheap as in cheaper than other shops or cheap brands? i wan cheap breytons leh have or not?lol

zee4;534799 said:
erm.. cheap as in cheaper than other shops or cheap brands? i wan cheap breytons leh have or not?lol

i think for Originals Breytons is consider quite affordable right?

cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daoquangminh

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back