Woot! Thanks Ascendant Motorsport!

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Full Disclosure: Ascendant Motorsport is a site sponsor, as well a close friend of mine. This thread is backed up with some data logs.

---------------------------------------------------------

Had an absolutely kickass track day with everyone.

Just wanted to share some interesting info about my track times. Car is completely stock except with Brembo BBK, street tires (quite worn Michelin PS2) with 3 previous track days on them, with an exhaust (dynoed before and after 1bhp difference with drop in panel filter - lol!) but anyway, the thing is not about my timing.

After a year of tracking and being stuck at a plateau for the last 2 track days, I managed to shave off 3 full seconds yesterday and keep it consistent for at least 4-5 hot laps, after "being stuck" for 2-3 full track days prior with the same timings (and i started to blame timings because of cars on track etc, poor car performance, lousy tires etc)

Couple of things to attribute to improvements was, understanding segment improvements, racing line changes and focusing on them. Also in the car was a performance box data logger (PerformanceBox - Datalogger and Performance Meter) to track accurately my lap performance. Ascendant Motorsport was particularly helpful in assisting me in understanding my weak areas on track and correcting them through data and close analysis over the past couple of months, and somehow everything just clicked yesterday.

The funniest part was that I filled up my car with Petronas 95 petrol 2nd link, and again at the Petronas outlet at the Sepang track because I didn't pay attention that different pumps had 97 fuel, but that aside, despite lower fuel quality, worn tires, cars on track yet I went faster this track day session. :D Woot! Awesome when it's quantifiable by driver and not because of some power mod.

All in all, I didn't add any performance mods over the past year (except with 1bhp exhaust) and manage to reduce my track timings by 6+ ~ 7 full seconds(at 2:47s down to 2:43.7~2:45s) - when i started to track regularly) with help from Ascendant Motorsport for my track sessions. Yesterday was a full 3 seconds (2:40.8) (the best lap) because of how all the different segments went perfectly together, and results were consistently repeated over the next few laps at (2:41s~2:42s).

I'll be getting Ascendant Motorsport to post up previous data logs of my driving lines, map overlays before and after. You can see the difference in lines based on personal understanding of the track (not because of someone telling me to take a particular line because it's good for his own car.)

Most importantly is the timing improvements without having to bump up power for the car and enjoying tracking with a correct mindset. Looking very much forward to the next track day and try to improve more with the current stock setup and kill off 1 second and reach 2:39s, at least that's the mid-term goal for now.

I had someone put up a claim yesterday that my car had the potential to do 2:28s and I said it was impossible unless there was factual data to back it up. It was only after some more clarification that the car in question had huge power modifications etc. That was quite nervy. Until such people are officially logged, it's quite easy to BS numbers and track times. Heard it way too many times and different claims from too many people from being at track events for the past few years.

If you want to improve your driving and have a clearer understanding of how you drive and improve without the use of power mods, you will want to PM Ascendant Motorsport (link here -http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/members/ascendant-motorsport.html or visit their business forum - Ascendant Motorsport - BMW-SG - The BMW Singapore Community)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Woot! Thanks Ascendant Motorsport!

ai race mai? i believe 228 is possible. close to me. we can have a fair race..

I think so too with S/C, aero parts, good tuned coilovers and semi slicks.

You wait, I setup one video likes yours then you know. BTW, how close are you to 2.28? :) hehehe

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCoB0r3jqM]YouTube - Jeremy goes sub 2:30 at Sepang Circuit in his Superleggera[/ame]

far from 228 la. 229.4 or something.

frankly, 2:28 for u is a huge amount to chase. slicks will give u 4 seconds. i really am not sure. dun think i wanna go that route....might as well buy a race car. cheaper too. 240 is a very very good time.

totoseow;541830 said:
far from 228 la. 229.4 or something.

frankly, 2:28 for u is a huge amount to chase. slicks will give u 4 seconds. i really am not sure. dun think i wanna go that route....might as well buy a race car. cheaper too. 240 is a very very good time.
agreed man... still need to daily drive so I worry about all sorts of mechanical failure if I touch anything in the engine or ECU. I think if I can touch 2:38 on a street setup, I'll be happy enough.

Heh, then if i can get that timing consistently I'll go get an extra set of track rims+very good semi-slicks then that's it. 2:29..haha stripped race EK can or not :)

anyway i second ryans opinion on how data collected can be used, analyse to cut ur time significantly. worth tons more than all the shitt mods u spend on.

ryan;541832 said:
agreed man... still need to daily drive so I worry about all sorts of mechanical failure if I touch anything in the engine or ECU. I think if I can touch 2:38 on a street setup, I'll be happy enough.

Heh, then if i can get that timing consistently I'll go get an extra set of track rims+very good semi-slicks then that's it. 2:29..haha stripped race EK can or not :)

dude 228 is 12 seconds more. lets assume we r cornering at the same speeds. i do not think the m3 engine can be made to go to 500hp whatever u do to it. the difference iin that 12 seconds is in ur acceleration. someone just smoked weed n told u that.

bro even if u touch 238..u wun b satisfied...u know that. haha

totoseow;541838 said:
dude 228 is 12 seconds more. lets assume we r cornering at the same speeds. i do not think the m3 engine can be made to go to 500hp whatever u do to it. the difference iin that 12 seconds is in ur acceleration. someone just smoked weed n told u that.

bro even if u touch 238..u wun b satisfied...u know that. haha
Haha, yeah, 550bhp with change to gearing might but it's going to be hell on the car. Yeah, if i can't progress beyond that stock-based timing than just have to accept it as the limit of the driver and street setup and live with it until someone else with a comparable setup comes along and kicks it another notch. Heh.

That's why i have a kart. Have to satisfy all perverted desires. Join us leh.

i hv no time leh. ryan i think the karting made u a better driver. honestly.

yeah once decent-good laptimes are repeatable across longer 10-30 lap stints in a race kart, especially at a track like KR, sepang in even the fastest road cars weighing 1 ton or more becomes completely stress free... slow motion.... nearly boring !

ryan;541803 said:
Full Disclosure: Ascendant Motorsport is a site sponsor, as well a close friend of mine. This thread is backed up with some data logs.

---------------------------------------------------------

Had an absolutely kickass track day with everyone.

Just wanted to share some interesting info about my track times. Car is completely stock except with Brembo BBK, street tires (quite worn Michelin PS2) with 3 previous track days on them, with an exhaust (dynoed before and after 1bhp difference with drop in panel filter - lol!) but anyway, the thing is not about my timing.

After a year of tracking and being stuck at a plateau for the last 2 track days, I managed to shave off 3 full seconds yesterday and keep it consistent for at least 4-5 hot laps, after "being stuck" for 2-3 full track days prior with the same timings (and i started to blame timings because of cars on track etc, poor car performance, lousy tires etc)

Couple of things to attribute to improvements was, understanding segment improvements, racing line changes and focusing on them. Also in the car was a performance box data logger (PerformanceBox - Datalogger and Performance Meter) to track accurately my lap performance. Ascendant Motorsport was particularly helpful in assisting me in understanding my weak areas on track and correcting them through data and close analysis over the past couple of months, and somehow everything just clicked yesterday.

The funniest part was that I filled up my car with Petronas 95 petrol 2nd link, and again at the Petronas outlet at the Sepang track because I didn't pay attention that different pumps had 97 fuel, but that aside, despite lower fuel quality, worn tires, cars on track yet I went faster this track day session. :D Woot! Awesome when it's quantifiable by driver and not because of some power mod.

All in all, I didn't add any performance mods over the past year (except with 1bhp exhaust) and manage to reduce my track timings by 6+ ~ 7 full seconds(at 2:47s down to 2:43.7~2:45s) - when i started to track regularly) with help from Ascendant Motorsport for my track sessions. Yesterday was a full 3 seconds (2:40.8) (the best lap) because of how all the different segments went perfectly together, and results were consistently repeated over the next few laps at (2:41s~2:42s).

I'll be getting Ascendant Motorsport to post up previous data logs of my driving lines, map overlays before and after. You can see the difference in lines based on personal understanding of the track (not because of someone telling me to take a particular line because it's good for his own car.)

Most importantly is the timing improvements without having to bump up power for the car and enjoying tracking with a correct mindset. Looking very much forward to the next track day and try to improve more with the current stock setup and kill off 1 second and reach 2:39s, at least that's the mid-term goal for now.

I had someone put up a claim yesterday that my car had the potential to do 2:28s and I said it was impossible unless there was factual data to back it up. It was only after some more clarification that the car in question had huge power modifications etc. That was quite nervy. Until such people are officially logged, it's quite easy to BS numbers and track times. Heard it way too many times and different claims from too many people from being at track events for the past few years.

If you want to improve your driving and have a clearer understanding of how you drive and improve without the use of power mods, you will want to PM Ascendant Motorsport (link here -http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/members/ascendant-motorsport.html or visit their business forum - Ascendant Motorsport - BMW-SG - The BMW Singapore Community)

Big congratulations on your new 2:36.40 first time ever running semis. This is a tenth or two quicker than GT car SS class leaders Shedden (TechArt Cayman S) and Adam (M3 CSL) at the latest ZTH TA which was completely dry. But of course it's only official if you're running same day, same session, in equally traffic free laps as everyone else.

Good news is that you can go easily go sub 36s by further sorting T11, 14, and 15. Especially 15 where you are not really going deep enough into the corner in the braking event, consistently apexing slightly too early and being forced to wait till fairly late in the turn before being able to really commit to throttle and head down the long straight. T14 you've done right at other times before so you know what to do there, it's just execution. Same for T11 :)

There's a little bit on the table in the first half of T5 as well. How quickly you settle into max lateral at near steady state on the arc.. the transition shouldn't take 5 seconds but closer to 2 sec instead. It's a trust and confidence issue in these high speed entries. Truly committed high speed turn entries are always near the last few tenths because of the risk they carry. But given your car control skills, it should not be a problem. Sure you'll pick up the time just like you did on the old street tires.. just a matter of getting used to this new tire. Great job man!

We'll run the debrief soon..

More later...

Congrats Ryan on yr timing..really nice at that levels. Getting there dude...

Woot! Just realized CSLs are 100kg lighter than the Z4M, and the Z4M is a full manual...no SMG.

Ryan's Z4M is basically completely showroom stock except for brakes, catback exhaust, and wheels. No aftermarket alignment bits, no engine tuning at all, etc.

Aside from its inherent mid engine advantage, Shedden's car is not just a normal Cayman S, but a TechArt Cayman GT Sport, meaning it runs 3.8L and just under 390hp.305/25/R20 rear tires, TechArt coilovers, rear wing, other developed aero bits etc. Correct me if you have better info please thanks.

Hope you go 35s real soon Ryan :D0

The Cayman S is on stock engine but has intake mods, throttle body which i think was GT3 one, rear perspex window, exos, ECU tuned but stock dampers with H&R lowering springs and of course the Aerodynamics....

ok.. thanks for sharing this info at the track yesterday too :D So it's just externally a techart gt sport, fat tires and all..

Tomorrow the official results from ZTH TTA 3 will be released and it should be interesting. There are better cars and drivers joining every class and times are coming down. Though the track car class seems lacking given that years ago 2:16-17 range times were already fairly normal in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
u888red
Back