Wireless music streaming (A2DP) into your car stereo system

pengful

Just experimented with a wonderful little gadget that is capable of providing wireless streaming of music (A2DP) from my iPhone into my car stereo system. Worked very well and am very pleased.

Will update more details and photos tomorrow... too dark now. :)

Re: Wireless music streaming (A2DP) into your car stereo system

When you use Bluetooth to do the stream and when phone call comes in how do you answer the phone with your bluetooth headset or in build bluetooth function in iDrive since the phone can only be paired with only 1 Bluetooth device at a time?

pengful;506372 said:
Just experimented with a wonderful little gadget that is capable of providing wireless streaming of music (A2DP) from my iPhone into my car stereo system. Worked very well and am very pleased.

Will update more details and photos tomorrow... too dark now. :)

cgoh;506384 said:
When you use Bluetooth to do the stream and when phone call comes in how do you answer the phone with your bluetooth headset or in build bluetooth function in iDrive since the phone can only be paired with only 1 Bluetooth device at a time?

The iPhone can be paired with more than 1 device, not sure how many but for me, 2 pairings; 1 for the Jabra BT loudspeaker and 1 for this streaming device.

When the phone rings, just answer as per normal and the music fades out. After you end the call, the music comes back on. No abruptness, pretty neat.

I can only say for the iPhone because I am using it but I believe other phones like Blackberry and Nokia that supports A2DP profile and general BT will be able to pair more than 1.

I am also using iPhone and did not know you can pair the phone with more than 1 Bluetooth devices at the same time. I must go try it out. Would like to see what gadget you use for the music streaming.

pengful;506387 said:
The iPhone can be paired with more than 1 device, not sure how many but for me, 2 pairings; 1 for the Jabra BT loudspeaker and 1 for this streaming device.

When the phone rings, just answer as per normal and the music fades out. After you end the call, the music comes back on. No abruptness, pretty neat.

I can only say for the iPhone because I am using it but I believe other phones like Blackberry and Nokia that supports A2DP profile and general BT will be able to pair more than 1.

Yup its true that you can pair with more than 1 device concurrently. I currently pair with my idrive for phone functions and with a little samsung bluetooth receiver hooked into my AUX input in the handrest for wireless A2DP streaming.

Part 1 - The components

The device I spoke about is called Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway. Comes with the following components:
- Stereo Gateway (the square piece)
- 3.5mm connector at both ends
- 3.5mm to RCA cable for home theatre
- Manual

However, what is missing are the charger and USB cables which you need to buy yourself.
- Belkin micro charger: I chose this because of its size and for E90 owners, there isn't a lot of space under the armrest for the connectors. You know what I mean. Cost: SGD 39.90 from Sim Lim and for those interested, go to the shop on 5th floor opposite Tecdrome.
- USB to USB Mini-B: SGD 3.80

Part 2 - Plugging them in

- Take the micro charger and plug the standard USB in, then plug the mini-B USB into the gateway
- Take one side of the 3.5mm cable and plug into the AUX input and the other end into the gateway
- Once you start the engine, the gateway will be powered up and goes through a light blinking sequence. Once you attained blue, it means it is ready to pair or already paired.

Part 3 - Pairing and playing without wires

- Switch on BT on your phone and start to pair as per normal with any other BT devices. I strongly believe that any phone that supports A2DP profile on BT can do this. For me, I have a Jabra BT loudspeaker paired as well.
- Once paired up, switch to AUX on your car stereo and play your music. See the "Blackberry Stereo Gateway" sign appear on my iPhone? That shows it is now streaming music into my car stereo system.
- Enjoy... :)

why not just plug an 0.5mm AUX cable from phone directly into the car? i know its wireless and stuff but phone cant really move much in the cabin.

Neat setup. Very useful for E60 with Aux port at the back. Now you still have to get a charger for you phone. Using Bluetooth will suck you battery dry very fast.

pengful;506525 said:
Part 3 - Pairing and playing without wires

- Switch on BT on your phone and start to pair as per normal with any other BT devices. I strongly believe that any phone that supports A2DP profile on BT can do this. For me, I have a Jabra BT loudspeaker paired as well.
- Once paired up, switch to AUX on your car stereo and play your music. See the "Blackberry Stereo Gateway" sign appear on my iPhone? That shows it is now streaming music into my car stereo system.
- Enjoy... :)

How is sound quality?

Is it like FM transmission (which truly sucks balls) or it's the same/equal to Aux cable quality?

ryan;506687 said:
How is sound quality?

Is it like FM transmission (which truly sucks balls) or it's the same/equal to Aux cable quality?
frankly AUX cable sucks balls too. quality worst than FM. I am using good quality AUX cable

Slater;506535 said:
why not just plug an 0.5mm AUX cable from phone directly into the car? i know its wireless and stuff but phone cant really move much in the cabin.

Been on wire all this time until now. Am enjoying the new-found freedom.

cgoh;506659 said:
Neat setup. Very useful for E60 with Aux port at the back. Now you still have to get a charger for you phone. Using Bluetooth will suck you battery dry very fast.

Agree. The battery life is NOT something the iPhone does very well but heck, I plug and sync all the time so that is a lesser issue.

ryan;506687 said:
How is sound quality?

This question is tough. Let me put it in another way.
- Playing anything on the BMW HU is already a sin but I would say it depends on you, the owner. I spent only $3K+ to upgrade the speakers and add an amp and am pretty happy with the outcome. I could have spent more but I didn't want to.
- If I drop in an audiophile CD it would sound better than normal CDs but it will definitely not be fantastic because the source is the same; darned BMW HU.
- I am sure the AUX enables non-CD sources to be transmitted to the amp and speakers but I don't think it is CD-quality. I would say close-to-CD-quality.
- I am not sure if A2DP profile on BT is better or same as FM transmission but I have read that A2DP is better than over-the-air transmission because BT is dedicated to a paired device. Anyhow, I am not sure but what I can say is I have not heard any interferences.

The joy I derived from this little experiment is accomplishing what can be done, ie. A2DP wireless music streaming vs conventional wired methods.

Anyway, the iPhone/ iPod is not the best sounding device, if I am not wrong.

pengful;506737 said:
You are right.

Now I know why CD has not gone extinct after so many years. Even the MD, LD and INitialD are all gone. CD still around. There's a reason for it.

Slater;506690 said:
frankly AUX cable sucks balls too. quality worst than FM. I am using good quality AUX cable
Slater, I'm using a iPhone/Aux combo and it sounds exactly like my CD. What kind of cable is yours? I had 2 different types of FM transmissions and they were really bad. Aux so far has worked fine for me without the crackles and hiss of a FM channel.

Is yours an e90? Thanks!

pengful;506737 said:
This question is tough. Let me put it in another way.
- Playing anything on the BMW HU is already a sin but I would say it depends on you, the owner. I spent only $3K+ to upgrade the speakers and add an amp and am pretty happy with the outcome. I could have spent more but I didn't want to.
- If I drop in an audiophile CD it would sound better than normal CDs but it will definitely not be fantastic because the source is the same; darned BMW HU.
- I am sure the AUX enables non-CD sources to be transmitted to the amp and speakers but I don't think it is CD-quality. I would say close-to-CD-quality.
- I am not sure if A2DP profile on BT is better or same as FM transmission but I have read that A2DP is better than over-the-air transmission because BT is dedicated to a paired device. Anyhow, I am not sure but what I can say is I have not heard any interferences.

The joy I derived from this little experiment is accomplishing what can be done, ie. A2DP wireless music streaming vs conventional wired methods.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm not that much of an audiophile but i definitely can't stand the FM type. If this device has aux like sound, i would snap it up.

ryan;506808 said:
Slater, I'm using a iPhone/Aux combo and it sounds exactly like my CD. What kind of cable is yours? I had 2 different types of FM transmissions and they were really bad. Aux so far has worked fine for me without the crackles and hiss of a FM channel.

Is yours an e90? Thanks!
yes its an E90. gotta check the brand o my AUX cable. bought it from iPhone shop and cost me $40. songs downloaded are of good quality as well. but when transmitted via car stereo it sounds rather flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnloh1221
Back