will avoid this tyre shop in the future.

Re: will avoid this tyre shop in the future.

If only I had the luck to come across this post when I wanted my rims changed...

Recently went down to Top 93 to get my rims done. I made some calls to various workshops and so happens that they carry the colour of the rims that I wanted.

Went down in the afternoon and was told by the boss that the rims that I wanted, the offset is not as nice as another set that he had. He said that the slight difference in offset would make the car have the 'flush' look. I asked about fender rubbing and he said sure don't have. so many customers do liao no problem.

So i decided to take the plunge and go ahead.

The look was great. flushed and all. however on the way home, I heard strange screeching sounds when I go over bumpy roads, KPE, up and down multistorey carparks.

I called the boss asking why got rubbing and he said... well, the rims are ok. must be your suspension. Alternatively you can do a fender roll. I was like.. YOU TOLD ME NO FENDER RUB! CONFIRM DONT HAVE! To which he said.. so what you want me to do now? I can recommend you to a shop that does fender roll... zzz...

I decided to go ahead and change my suspensions at another workshop - got the bilsteins B6. After spending some more money... guess what... THERE IS STILL RUBBING!

I have to admit its now much better... but... driving at about only 100km/h along CTE, with only 1 rear passenger... will still rub when going over small bumps.

Super sian. Im now contemplating changing rims again... for safety of my family.

Beware guys. I know I sua-ku. shouldnt have blindly followed recommendations... but hey. hes a site sponsor... hes SUPPOSED to know better than me. What the heck man.

Sad to hear, unfortunate. But being a site sponsor does not mean *jack* to me....

zofz;1129508 said:
If only I had the luck to come across this post when I wanted my rims changed...

Recently went down to Top 93 to get my rims done. I made some calls to various workshops and so happens that they carry the colour of the rims that I wanted.

Went down in the afternoon and was told by the boss that the rims that I wanted, the offset is not as nice as another set that he had. He said that the slight difference in offset would make the car have the 'flush' look. I asked about fender rubbing and he said sure don't have. so many customers do liao no problem.

The look was great. flushed and all. however on the way home, I heard strange screeching sounds when I go over bumpy roads, KPE, up and down multistorey carparks.

I called the boss asking why got rubbing and he said... well, the rims are ok. must be your suspension. Alternatively you can do a fender roll. I was like.. YOU TOLD ME NO FENDER RUB! CONFIRM DONT HAVE! To which he said.. so what you want me to do now? I can recommend you to a shop that does fender roll... zzz...

I decided to go ahead and change my suspensions at another workshop - got the bilsteins B6. After spending some more money... guess what... THERE IS STILL RUBBING!

I have to admit its now much better... but... driving at about only 100km/h along CTE, with only 1 rear passenger... will still rub when going over small bumps.

Super sian. Im now contemplating changing rims again... for safety of my family.

Beware guys. I know I sua-ku. shouldnt have blindly followed recommendations... but hey. hes a site sponsor... hes SUPPOSED to know better than me. What the heck man.

I had the same experience with them; right after changing my rims and tyres at top93, rubber will rub and undercarriage scraped when car exits bends on expressway at speeds ~80kmph. The boss told me MUST be your suspension problem. I was slightly unconvinced but gave him the benefit of the doubt and changed out to a new set of Bilsteins. However, problem still persists. Brought my car to him and he said cannot be, he must test the car. You have no idea how pissed I was at his test drive: whacked my car full speed through speed bumps, engage opposite gear before car is stationary, 1st gear launch. Truly a retarded beng.
Problem still not solved, realize after that his guy gave rubbers of a wrong size. By then I had already lost my patience with them. I had the suspensions changed out to coils, ditched his wheels and its definitely a shop to be wary of.

Bros, what rims/ rubbers and specs did your guys changed to for your ride?

zofz;1129508 said:

May i know what is your rim size and offset plus fitted on what car ?

Jasonic;1129512 said:
Bros, what rims/ rubbers and specs did your guys changed to for your ride?

Lol, same name asking same qn.

Putting aside WS's selling techniques, changing suspension (unless suspension worn & bottoming out) won't help much unless there're coilovers, which will provide more negative camber when lowered the car - assuming slight rubbing on outter side. Spacers might help, again depending where rubbing is - assuming slight rub on inner side. But if the offsets are totally incorrect for your car, not much you can do.

Bottom line is that getting correct offsets for your car is critical rather muck around with suspension, spacers, blah blah blah to rectify issue. Avoid cheap rims, reps/china/taiwan rubbish, crappy WS

I would think that those are 2 different and reasonable qns to ask.

I too am quite curious for my own education....

front is 19in 8.5
rear is 19in 9.5

offset according to boss is +35.

Tyres are michelin
front no issue - cant recall sizing
rear is 255/30/19

any idea why rubbin?

sanerling;1129511 said:
I had the same experience with them; right after changing my rims and tyres at top93, rubber will rub and undercarriage scraped when car exits bends on expressway at speeds ~80kmph. The boss told me MUST be your suspension problem. I was slightly unconvinced but gave him the benefit of the doubt and changed out to a new set of Bilsteins. However, problem still persists. Brought my car to him and he said cannot be, he must test the car. You have no idea how pissed I was at his test drive: whacked my car full speed through speed bumps, engage opposite gear before car is stationary, 1st gear launch. Truly a retarded beng.
Problem still not solved, realize after that his guy gave rubbers of a wrong size. By then I had already lost my patience with them. I had the suspensions changed out to coils, ditched his wheels and its definitely a shop to be wary of.

I was just about to go down today to ask the boss why still like that... i think after reading your post... i will steer clear. thanks for honest sharing of your experiences...
wanted to spend some $$$ to put smile on my face. now i have a love hate relationship looking at my rims.

musicallypso, congrats.... I think you clock enuf post to start selling oredi :offtopic:

sigh.... i have some comments but i'll save it for another day. read this thread also tired

A long long time ago when this particular shop just started for maybe a year or less, I went to buy used BMW rims for my old ride (E90). The boss didn't seem too interested to sell the used rims as he said it was "owner consignment" and tried to upsell his new rims which I noticed was usually mounted with oversized tyres on customer cars sitting in/outside the shop.

I am personally not a fan of the "flushed wheel fender" look as I think wrong offsets and tyre sizes messes up suspension geometry, not to mention the extra unsprung weight carried by big wheels on typically small engines. Those who know me know that I stick to stock rims and when I bought my E89 Z4 s23i I kept it on stock 17" and it drove very well and returned excellent fuel economy as well.

Anyhow, the boss's less than interested attitude already pissed me off a little. After I insisted I wanted the used rims, he just told his guy to entertain me and he walked off. Sure, I'm not going to buy several thousand dollars of brand new wheels from him now, but if he had actually given me good service, I would have gone back for subsequent tyre changes.

So... since they gave me a less than ideal price for my existing rims, I asked them to take out the fairly new RFT from my existing rims and mount it on my dad's Volvo which uses the same size 225/45/17. The guy who did the work was totally NOT skilled at all as I can see him struggling to unmount the RFTs from my existing rims, and during the process I noticed he had not only scratched my rims (I'm trading it in anyway) but also damaged the sides of one of the tyres.

The staff act blur, and continued to mount the tyres on my dad's Volvo rims without saying a word. He thought I didn't see it... when in fact I saw all of it. True enough, the damaged tyre started losing air pressure within a week, and I had to get a pair replaced. They charged me a nominal fee to unmount+mount the tyres, so I decided there's no point going back to seek redress... how much can he refund me? $50? $60? Or find one piece of the same used tyre for me? Forget it.

After this whole fisaco, I learnt that they started selling BBK and doing wheel alignment. I thought to myself: if they can't even mount wheels, how they can perform an intricate and technical task like a wheel alignment. I think the alignment results speak volumes. Somebody should try asking them technical questions on alignment, such as correcting unusual car behavior and see what the technician says.

Some years back I went to R2D and one of the customers happened to have bought the BBK from this particular shop, and after several unsuccessful visits to resolve a squealing problem, the owner decided to drop by R2D for a second opinion and Rodney said some part of the BBK was assembled incorrectly.

To me it's very simple... you can do my business once and I count myself unlucky, but I will not go back again, and I will tell my friends not to go too. Long term, its his loss.

I personally visit a few shops for tyres. One is Tyre Track & Accessories Trading in Yishun, and another is Beng Heng Tyres in Toh Guan. Both of them gave me excellent service and very good pricing for tyres.

For alignment, I go to either Kian Teong Auto in Sin Ming or Kenny Wheel Alignment in AMK.

* The shops mentioned above do not constitute disapproval or endorsements by me. They are simply based on my personal experiences. You are advised to make your own judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red_Bean_Bun;n1845987 said:
Big wheels does not necessarily mean more unsprung weight .... Rotational mass determines that.

Sure... try 20" oversized rubbers. Rims can only get so heavy. The oversized tyres are the ones that add significant weight.

detach8;1846062 said:
Sure... try 20" oversized rubbers. Rims can only get so heavy. The oversized tyres are the ones that add significant weight.

Tried ... Managed to get it overall lighter with bigger rims and really wide tyres.

The weight difference is mainly on the wheel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jilisfyi
Back