Which M3 to buy?

NineEleven

Guys & gals. I'm looking @ an E46 M3 coed till 2018 @ S$130K or an 07 E92 M3 Pi with new COE @ $200K & OMV $65K. Both manual. The latter car is easier finance with lower interest too. Fuel consumption is no concern but running cost like maintenance, roadtax & insurance will be points to consider.

I like the E46 for it's fairly simple tech, smaller cc & size. Haven't actually checked out the E92. I had an E39 M5 & the E46M3 SMG2 briefly.

This will be my spare transport for occasional trackdays. The E46 is tried & tested with lots of upgrade stuff @ decent prices as well.

Has the E90s been reliable with all the fancy gadgets?

Would like to hear all opinions. Thanks.

Re: Which M3 to buy?

NineEleven;568589 said:
Guys & gals. I'm looking @ an E46 M3 coed till 2018 @ S$130K or an 07 E92 M3 Pi with new COE @ $200K & OMV $65K. Both manual. The latter car is easier finance with lower interest too. Fuel consumption is no concern but running cost like maintenance, roadtax & insurance will be points to consider.

I like the E46 for it's fairly simple tech, smaller cc & size. Haven't actually checked out the E92. I had an E39 M5 & the E46M3 SMG2 briefly.

This will be my spare transport for occasional trackdays. The E46 is tried & tested with lots of upgrade stuff @ decent prices as well.

Has the E90s been reliable with all the fancy gadgets?

Would like to hear all opinions. Thanks.

Hi NineEleven,

go for the E92 M3, better (V8 is sweet).......for track sure steam.........

cheers

i like the E46's

E92 M3..... But Make sure you go to a trusted friend / mechanic to check the imported used M3.

Sure u can get the e92 at 200k? Seems a little low. If it is purely a track car, go for e46. Lighter and less lux, much better suited for track. My .5 cents worth

BorisRS;568608 said:
Sure u can get the e92 at 200k? Seems a little low. If it is purely a track car, go for e46. Lighter and less lux, much better suited for track. My .5 cents worth

Bro, I thought so which made the E46 look expensive :blahblah:

That E92 is due for registration in 3 weeks time as it's an 07 so they have to sell fast or risk becoming a 2nd hand. Black with red cabin, exactly the same combi as my other car :ehhh:

I actually like the E46 shape & size. Is the E92 that much heavier? Engine is lighter by 15kg or so but the E92 has a lot of gadgets which I don't need.

I may even rid the electric seats of the E46 & slot in lighter stuff.

Was shopping for Evo10, Sti, type R but they're all about $100K used & modded (rex being cheaper) & I only want manual.

isnt omv of 65k low? PI M3 OMVs are much higher than that??! or am i just less informed?

in any case, both are just as awesome to me but id go with whichever has a better engine condition... one is used, the other is import use so both have big risks so better check 100% of history

There's a production (#4 if I'm not wrong) M3 CSL in UK unregistered (never driven) going for sale. It will be sent to Germany for prep work by BMW prior to delivery. Not sure if its sold but that is one heck of a car. Its RHD btw.

Physicist;573333 said:
There's a production (#4 if I'm not wrong) M3 CSL in UK unregistered (never driven) going for sale. It will be sent to Germany for prep work by BMW prior to delivery. Not sure if its sold but that is one heck of a car. Its RHD btw.
OMG....that's a classic.....never driven somemore...!

I have a reservation against manual M3 vis-a-vis DCT M3s...... even some Porky owners are shunning the tip against the PDK....

Jon,

I hv driven both the E46 n E92 on the track and here is my honest opinion.

The similarities : Both cars offer great balance..BMW's main strength. Both stock brakes will fade in 3rd lap. So brake upgrades is a must.

W/O a doubt the E92 is faster. The DCT is lightening quick and too smooth IMO. I prefer slightly jerkiness when driven hard.
Yes the car is heavy ..but engine is lighter, the suspension components are also lighter than the E46's. So the weight is all in the stiffer chasis which u can feel in the corners. So overall, the current model is still a faster car.

The E46 is raw and I think the steering feel is sharper, better weighted IMO. As a track car however, this car suffers from fuel starvation , ie engine power cut ( due to extreme G that wet sump engine can't take ) but the E92's model has been improved further so no real issue there.

Look wise...agree with u on E46 being a better looking car. I still looks current..the flared arches are sexy and in stock condition, the car sits lower as well

So there r pros n cons. You may get a bit worried with old car for track use vs new model
If you think u want to do some project car, i think E46 is a better choice. Few garages know this car well inside out. Lots of great after mkt parts for the car as well which you can still buy them off the shelves like brakes n suspension parts. And yes, u need to get rid of the stock seats ....both seats are heavier than you!

Lord Pebbles will tell u to get econobox haha..

Happy hunting dude

Smoothie

kenntona;573361 said:
I have a reservation against manual M3 vis-a-vis DCT M3s...... even some Porky owners are shunning the tip against the PDK....

That is purely an issue on the resale as how people see technology evolves.
For a more track use where like in this case the thread starter is probably aint concerned bout resale factor, manual gearbox may still be well prefered to some...Purists if u like to call it.

If there's only one car in the household, then definitely go wif the DCT, sure die if u hv a manual one and try to sell it later.:(

TripleM said:
That is purely an issue on the resale as how people see technology evolves. For a more track use where like in this case the thread starter is probably aint concerned bout resale factor, manual gearbox may still be well prefered to some...Purists if u like to call it.

If there's only one car in the household, then definitely go wif the DCT, sure die if u hv a manual one and try to sell it later.
I think manual E92 M3 is neither here nor there.

Manual, it is probably e46 M3. Else, it is e92 M3 DCT.

I cannot see manual e92 M3 being the best pick against either.

NineEleven;568670 said:
Bro, I thought so which made the E46 look expensive :blahblah:

That E92 is due for registration in 3 weeks time as it's an 07 so they have to sell fast or risk becoming a 2nd hand. Black with red cabin, exactly the same combi as my other car :ehhh:

I actually like the E46 shape & size. Is the E92 that much heavier? Engine is lighter by 15kg or so but the E92 has a lot of gadgets which I don't need.

I may even rid the electric seats of the E46 & slot in lighter stuff.

Was shopping for Evo10, Sti, type R but they're all about $100K used & modded (rex being cheaper) & I only want manual.

i'm a fan of the E46 M3 personally.
And they did a head to head somewhere.
I think the E46 v E92, was only a sliver of difference.
Wonderful if you imagine the time/tech that has elapsed since then.

if it's purely a non-primary use track toy.
why don't you pickup something like a stick shift used Evo10?
Couple of tweaks later. you'll save some cash & (possibly) a couple of seconds off each lap.

Just a question.. are there any E46 M3s around in pristine condition (i.e. no accidents, non tracked)? Starting to look like a pretty affordable option as a track car.

there was one i think not long ago, Ken's friend one for sale but duno gone or not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back