Where to buy Garmin GPS w Aus map?

Re: Where to buy Garmin GPS w Aus map?

Singapore garmin is only pre-loaded with SIN/MY maps.

Garmin unit can be bought from Eastgear(Disti).

2 ways to gey map of Australia:
(a) purchase from garmin website and download
(b) you can get OEM australia map from sim lim tower level 1(not sure shop name but only one shop sells GPS)
*please note that the OEM maps are crack maps, which violate the copyright act in Australia.

If u have iphone, buy Telstra prepaid sim card. Convert $30 credit into Broadband limit. Use Google Map. During my 3 wks in Melbourne, i travelled around wif Google map. Even in ulu ulu place, signal still damn strong unlike here.

The telstra prepaid card sound like a good suggestion, but workable if used for driving directions? I thought prepaid cards usually doesn't work with iPhone?

Cheapest Option: Borrow a Garmin set from your friend and rent a updated Aust map from Navicom (Navicom Technology Pte Ltd) for $2 per day if you are using their Garmin set.

Navicom is a authorised distributor for Garmin.

Easy and straight forward... Cheers!

i have the City Navigator Australia NT 2009 maps for Garmin...

drop me an email if you want..don't pm please...don't like clearing it.....will need an sd card and your garmin unit ID...

just realized there is a 2010 map for Australia and New Zealand 150mb or so and doesnt need unlocking...maybe can send it to you online...

Last edited by a moderator:

I've only ever come across TomTom GPS preloaded with Australia map, sold locally.

I brought a City Navigator AU & NZ map for my friend to use with her SG-loaded Garmin in perth, and she commented the map was alot better than her borrowed Tom Tom set. Maybe you can try renting the map from NaviCom? The Garmin GPS was really useful when I was driving up to Swan Valley. I'm pretty sure renting the map is cheaper than renting the Garmin sets from the Aussie car rental companies.

Be careful with free AU maps online. I tried downloading before, and the coverage (for Perth at least) was crappy.

pilotsnoopy;545950 said:

drop me an email if you want..don't pm please...don't like clearing it.....will need an sd card and your garmin unit ID...

just realized there is a 2010 map for Australia and New Zealand 150mb or so and doesnt need unlocking...maybe can send it to you online...
Thanks for the offer! I think I'll go sim lim to check if any shop can sell with 'free' aus map , else will contact you after buying the garmin to get the map. Thanks once again.

SuperChargeMe;545923 said:
The telstra prepaid card sound like a good suggestion, but workable if used for driving directions? I thought prepaid cards usually doesn't work with iPhone?
I start to surf net on my iphone 30mins after i bought the simcard from Telstra shop. The only downside is lack of voice instruction.

this place in Thomson Rd also sells GPS and maps: www.coolasia.net

I also have an old Aussie NZ map, 2008 or 2009. If u want let me know, i can email to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just saw Garmin 255w@$279 at Challenger. Can this model be installed with additional maps? I saw the 1350 but seems same feature as 255w, only slimmer. Advice appreciated. Thx!

SuperChargeMe;546734 said:
Just saw Garmin 255w@$279 at Challenger. Can this model be installed with additional maps? I saw the 1350 but seems same feature as 255w, only slimmer. Advice appreciated. Thx!

Maps are usually installed in the SD slot card. All depends how large is the map.

Dear all, thx for your help so far. Just bot the 255W.
Next step is to try to get a *ahem* free map for Aus.
If you have, do you emailing to [email protected] ?

Thank so much. My next option would be go rent from NaviCom if can't find anything free...

Thanks !!!

pilotsnoopy;545950 said:

Hi, ok, promise wun PM you. But I dun hv ur email ?
Can you kindly email me [email protected], if you still have that map ?

Thx!

SuperChargeMe;546827 said:
Many thanks to bro pilotsnoopy for all his help !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

no worries, refreshed somethings myself too :)

VolanteDB9;545950 said:

Hi! Can I get the Aussie n NZ maps from u too?
Please kindly email me at [email protected]

Back