When to change suspension?

VenomX2

Had my e46 for sometime and was wondering if there is a need to change the suspension on the car? Is there a time frame or distance before they need replacing?

If were to change to aftermarket kind can still maintain existing ride height and comfort?

Re: When to change suspension?

Its usually the shock absorber part of any suspension system that needs replacing. If I am not mistaken, on the average under normal driving conditions, OEM shocks lasts approx. 50k km before they go.

If you are looking at maintaining your OEM ride height and comfort, just replace your shocks with Sach/Boge, they are standard OEM parts.

If you want an aftermarket non-lowered setup, you can go for Bilstein HD or Bilstein B6. These are shocks alone to be paired up with your OEM springs, hence no lowering. The ride will be firmer no doubt, but nothing that is considered uncomfortable.

Koni FSD can be used with non-lowered OEM springs, although few people here have paired them up with Eibach or Koni lowered springs (35 to 40mm drop). IMO the ride is definately still comfortable for an aftermarket setup.

If you will consider a moderate drop, there should be some options out there for springs + shocks set that will lower your car 20 to 30mm without sacrificing too much comfort.

How do you know when the OEM shocks are about to go?

Also, when do people normally change their front control arm bushings?

Thanks.

when it becomes floaty and bouncy,and it doesnt dampen shocks well from roads n humps. basically u feel that only yr springs are working.

i second ninja07 about the 50000km for the life span of stock shocks... however, it is for aggressive cornering... normal cornering, probably about 75-80k km should not be a problem as i was advised by Sachs... however, do check it at 75k km cos by then, it is really near the limit...

thanks ninja07 for the info. looks like its about time to change the stock suspension. although it doesn't feel bouncy yet.

Do the shocks normally wear out gradually? If so, then i guess bouncyness is relative... Is there some instrument to measure the shocks 'stabilising capability'?

Good info. Thanks a lot! :)

The reason I asked was because my dad's Toyota Picnic rear shocks were spoilt and were changed FOC under warranty. The car was less than 2 yrs old and travelled less than 50k km and my dad drives pretty slow and steady. We sat in the vehicle but didn't feel that the ride was particularly bouncy or floaty and we didn't even know they were spoilt till the mechanic diagnosed it.

wow...then the dealer is really professional and not to mention damn HONEST...FOC for something you guys didnt even complain about...cool. really nice to hear such service still exists

Another way to test is to have three big guys sitting in the back seat and if your car looks like a speedboat, it is time to change. Ha Ha!

Sorry, to clarify my dad did complain that there was some kind of noise (i never heard it coz dun drive his car)... they did a test drive first time and changed the drive shaft. The noise persisted after that and they did another test drive and changed the rear shocks. Anyway, i wont be surprised that the mechanic himself screwed the suspension with the way he drove during the test drives. He literally bo chap the humps around the borneo compound. he even scrapped the front fender by going too close to the curb. lucky my dad quite chin chai. if PML did tat to my ride, i'd definitely cry father cry mother.

The service there aint that great. We had to wait half an hour even though we had an appointment...

oppsss..spoke too soon.

anyway just to share info the last time we sent in a car (not borneo though) complaining of suspension creaking the tech guy also drove over humps wth little braking/slowing down..heart sank but i think that's their way of testing the suspension's ability..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back