What is the shark fin-like device on the roof of the car for ?

Hi guys,

may I enquire what does the shark fin-like device on our cars do ?

Is it functionable ?

I thought the new models have that for antenna ?

Hehehe... just curious cos seen quite a few beemers have that and they are the FL e46 ones...

Thanks and sorry for the trouble, just curious only.

Cheers !

(newbie)

Re: What is the shark fin-like device on the roof of the car for ?

8884 said:
Hi guys,

Is it functionable ?

Hehehe... just curious cos seen quite a few beemers have that and they are the FL e46 ones...

Cheers !

(newbie)

It's for Navigation system.
Most of the people who have them on their cars esp the E46 Models are for aesthetic purposes ( they are properly wired tho and can be hooked up to the Nav System if installed )

8884 said:
Hi guys,

Is it functionable ?

Cheers !

(newbie)

They are for "NOTHING" in the local context.... guess it is mass produced for countries which uses it as an antenna but not relevant to Singapore.... Taking it out also means having to seal the holes and hence, they were just left there. I once asked if they could take it out but the answer was no as it was too much work.

It's really funny to see a lot of other makes fix this shark fin to make their car look better....

Mav said:
They are for "NOTHING" in the local context.... guess it is mass produced for countries which uses it as an antenna but not relevant to Singapore.... Taking it out also means having to seal the holes and hence, they were just left there. I once asked if they could take it out but the answer was no as it was too much work.

It's really funny to see a lot of other makes fix this shark fin to make their car look better....

For the E46 shark-fin antenna..no drilling is required, so no holes. Only a thin 3M double sided tape and removable in the future w/o damaging the paint work. A few forumers here hv been there done that.

Mav said:

Hi Mav

Are you referring to the NEW E90 Sharkfin Antenna? Don't know if that one is functional in SG's context.

As for the E46 one, when Wilman installed for our FL sedan, it definitely shows that IT IS Functional if/when you install your SAT NAV and/or Car Phone.

I too thought it was only for aesthetic purposes cos that was what I wanted the fin for. But after seeing how Wilman carefully and very expertly installed the fin with the cable neatly hidden along the rear windscreen seal, I realised that IT IS functional as the cable ended being plugged nicely into a hole in the boot area which was already there meant for this antenna.

But I also know that alot of rides have sharkfins that are just there without any cables installed and solely meant for looks.

Cheers!

Wilman,

Thanks again for the antenna! Everytime people ask about the fin, I always open my boot and show them how my ride is ready for SAT NAV if I decided to install it. hahahaha!

Cheers!

Mav said:

i think u refering to the E90's , cause the ones on the FL E46 dun need to be drilled, it's put at the edge of the rubber seals?.. so i guess that helps hold the fin (together with 3M tape under the fin). The E90's however, fins are put futher down frm the rear windscreen, which prolly need to be drilled to hold it down??( not sure tho). Anyways, just my 2 cents man..

Like what toby nic sed, the fin is functional, just whether u wanna go buy and install ur NAV system , haha. :)

Me bad... should have asked which model he was asking about.... :p

Hi Guys...
So, where can I get one of these sharkfins for E46? I do noticed that there are a few variations and some are just really "stick-on". Looks OK for far though... haha.
Thanks.

Chuckky

chuckky said:
Hi Guys...
So, where can I get one of these sharkfins for E46? I do noticed that there are a few variations and some are just really "stick-on". Looks OK for far though... haha.
Thanks.

Chuckky

Hi there... you can PM Wilson (Wilman2772). He can get u the fin.. enjoy! :)

Hmmm dude..

regarding the fin...

I believe we must spray the fin to the colour of our rides, am I right?

If not, then it'll look abit out of place.

Correct me if I'm wrong cos thats the reason why I didn't install one of these.

Thanks and have a great day.

:naughty:

u dun really have to spray it the same colour. i used to own a 2002 e46 in australia. it came wif a shark fin unpainted.

bimmer.jpg

Thanks bro shaaz... I have PMed Mr. Wilson.

shaaz said:
Hi there... you can PM Wilson (Wilman2772). He can get u the fin.. enjoy! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back