What is the correct power steering fluid to use for pre-LCI E90?

easy

On the cover of my pre-LCI E90 power steering fuid reservoir is engraved use only ATF fluid. But I heard that BMW has changed to Pentosin CHF 11S quite a while back and that they just printed a blue sticker to paste on top of the reservoir cover to mask the original engraving. I suspect my blue sticker has simply fallen off over the years, can anybody confirm that Pentosin is the correct fluid?

Re: What is the correct power steering fluid to use for pre-LCI E90?

Pentosin chf11s is correct.

Do a flush and fill it with Pentosin.

Skali the fluid inside is the ATF ...... Flush to play safe.

You plan to DIY ?

Please get the facts right. E90s with n46 engines use dexron 3 ATF for power steering oil. The 6cyl uses chf-11s. Ts did not even state his model. There is even n53 equipped cars that use electric power steering.

easy;1058817 said:
On the cover of my pre-LCI E90 power steering fuid reservoir is engraved use only ATF fluid. But I heard that BMW has changed to Pentosin CHF 11S quite a while back and that they just printed a blue sticker to paste on top of the reservoir cover to mask the original engraving. I suspect my blue sticker has simply fallen off over the years, can anybody confirm that Pentosin is the correct fluid?

TS, can tell me why u decided to change power steering fluid?
i read that bmw considers it lifetime, but i feel that my steering is a tad too heavy. same symptoms as yours?

mrball;1058979 said:
TS, can tell me why u decided to change power steering fluid?
i read that bmw considers it lifetime, but i feel that my steering is a tad too heavy. same symptoms as yours?

My engine is N46B2. As to your question bro, yes I did feel the steering was a bit heavy, so wanted to eliminate degraded fluid as the culprit. Also I don't believe in BMW party-line of "lifetime" fluids, given my mileage is 130k with 2.5 years left to go, a change should be enough to see it through to the end.

Same as brake fluid and coolant, need to change every 2 years or 1 year if you are anal about preventative maintainance?

E90 steering is heavy.

easy;1058981 said:
My engine is N46B2. As to your question bro, yes I did feel the steering was a bit heavy, so wanted to eliminate degraded fluid as the culprit. Also I don't believe in BMW party-line of "lifetime" fluids, given my mileage is 130k with 2.5 years left to go, a change should be enough to see it through to the end.

Yes bro. I feel tt the steering is a tad too heavy as well.
Any issues with changing it though? I hear from ws that some fluids if u change, will give issues if existing parts are already problematic, like gearbox and differential. Rationale that the parts are worn out and cant adapt to the new fluids. Always wanted to change my differentials and power steering fluid but scared lol..

mrball;1058985 said:
Yes bro. I feel tt the steering is a tad too heavy as well.
Any issues with changing it though? I hear from ws that some fluids if u change, will give issues if existing parts are already problematic, like gearbox and differential. Rationale that the parts are worn out and cant adapt to the new fluids. Always wanted to change my differentials and power steering fluid but scared lol..

Usually fluid change (and (LOL) reprogramming!) if possible is first resort if got problem as it is easiest and cheapest to do and could help narrow down root causes, only if symptoms remain is it justified to do further investigation - just like we first try panadol for fever or headache before we think of dengue or brain cancer. I changed my diff fluid along with my power steering, good to do after 100k, again one change should see you to the end, simple job for ws. But I heard that ATF and Pentosin should not be mixed so was concerned to know correct fill. Finally I do agree that BMW steering is normally "heavier", my comparison is against my Jap ride with electric motorized steering.

The E90 and F10 steering weight is also a world of difference.

What is the correct power steering fluid to use for pre-LCI E90?

Vansoh;1059000 said:
The E90 and F10 steering weight is also a world of difference.

Confirm. My E90 always feels like a tank after driving the F10, though the F10 is physically much heavier.

seanskye;1059001 said:
Confirm. My E90 always feels like a tank after driving the F10, though the F10 is physically much heavier.

Like the tank feel lol, reminds me of my first car that had manual steering :)

All BMW hydraulic power steering are for MAN.

Really luv that steering feel.

i always have tis thoughts that cos mine is running on 19inch, dats y steering is heavy... those running on stock 16" also heavy??

Mine is a 2005 pre fl e90, but the power steering cap says "use only CHF 11s", not ATF.
Thinking to flush system and change to Redline Power Steering Fluid. Wonder if that will screw things up?

casper77;1059024 said:
i always have tis thoughts that cos mine is running on 19inch, dats y steering is heavy... those running on stock 16" also heavy??
My E39 runs on 16" 225. It is so heavy that I could use both hand to open & close a bottle of coke.

richardwan;1059025 said:
Mine is a 2005 pre fl e90, but the power steering cap says "use only CHF 11s", not ATF.
Thinking to flush system and change to Redline Power Steering Fluid. Wonder if that will screw things up?
Bro, are the words actually engraved on cap or is it a sticker?

Confirm is heavy, I was quite surprised when I test drove a 325 E90, thot something wrong ..., maybe is designed for big burly Germans, no wonder they would complain that Jap car steering has no feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

easy;1059055 said:
Confirm is heavy, I was quite surprised when I test drove a 325 E90, thot something wrong ..., maybe is designed for big burly Germans, no wonder they would they complain that Jap car steering has no feel.

Audi also no feel lol! As light as Jupun chia!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bk8luxe
Back