Vibration on steering wheel

ultraslang

Hi bros,

When travelling at speed above 80km/h can feel the steering wheel vibrating left and right. At speed lower than 80km/h the steering wheel is stable.

Both my front wheel are balance and have the same pressure.

What can be wrong?

Re: Vibration on steering wheel

Hi speed wheel balancing.

most tyre shops will be able to do it.

for peace of mind, go to stamford tyres, or any of the tyre shops listed in the 'Workshop and Help' section of this forum (whichever is more convenient for you)...

I think can feel a slight vibration on my steering wheel. However it is only evident at speeds of about 110-120 and above. Does my wheels need balancing?

helbreath;734454 said:
I think can feel a slight vibration on my steering wheel. However it is only evident at speeds of about 110-120 and above. Does my wheels need balancing?

Most likely, high speed balancing......

cheers

Did you just change tyres or rims or both? Did the vibration occur during braking or just when travelling faster than 80km/h?

If just changed tyres, then not balance properly. Get the wheels rebalanced.

If just changed rims, then rims don't fit the centre hub properly. Don't use hub rings. Change to rims that fit exactly the centre hub.

If vibration only during braking, then ether brake pad or disc warped. Change pads and discs or skim discs.

I've experienced both warped disc and rims don't fit properly with hub rings. Tried all sort of balancing, including high speed. All don't quite work. In the end, change discs and rims back to OEM. All vibration gone, tested to 190km/h.

Last edited by a moderator:

156F1;734533 said:
I've experienced both warped disc and rims don't fit properly with hub rings. Tried all sort of balancing, including high speed. All don't quite work. In the end, change discs and rims back to OEM. All vibration gone, tested to 190km/h.

Can recommend the workshop you go to solve the vibration problem?

156F1;734533 said:
Did you just change tyres or rims or both? Did the vibration occur during braking or just when travelling faster than 80km/h?

If just changed tyres, then not balance properly. Get the wheels rebalanced.

If just changed rims, then rims don't fit the centre hub properly. Don't use hub rings. Change to rims that fit exactly the centre hub.

If vibration only during braking, then ether brake pad or disc warped. Change pads and discs or skim discs.

I guess bro 156F1 has covered the main suspects. I would say most likely high speed balancing needs to be done and another possible cause might be one of your rear tires kena nail / there's a crack in the inner sidewall of the rear tires which has caused a leak and you don't notice it cuz it's not visible from the outside. This is coming from my personal experience. Hope this helps!

sportster;743202 said:
Can recommend the workshop you go to solve the vibration problem?

Non-OEM rims was swopped to used M135 rims at the shop I bought the non-OEM rims (LS).

Warped brake discs were replaced at R2D. I also replaced the pads to OEM, as I suspect the harder non-OEM pads overheated the discs causing them to warp slightly.

Back