Upsizing to 18" - what rim width to go for

Rastaman

Hi guys,

Am a newbie here and i'm thinking abt upsizing fm 17" to 18". I roughly estimate that the wheel size should be [front] 225/40/18 and [rear] 255/35/18, my concern is what is the right offset and rim width for both front and rear or can i use the same width for both ??

Any fellow users of 18' care to advise what they have used or can recommend ? Car is a 330ci - e46 (am not sure what offset currently i have)

Cheers !

Re: Upsizing to 18" - what rim width to go for

Rastaman said:
Hi guys,

Am a newbie here and i'm thinking abt upsizing fm 17" to 18". I roughly estimate that the wheel size should be [front] 225/40/18 and [rear] 255/35/18, my concern is what is the right offset and rim width for both front and rear or can i use the same width for both ??

Any fellow users of 18' care to advise what they have used or can recommend ? Car is a 330ci - e46 (am not sure what offset currently i have)

Cheers !

I'll go for staggered as u call it !! width of rim im looking at is 8.5j front n rear ..can the 255 tyre fit nicely ??

Rastaman said:
I'll go for staggered as u call it !! width of rim im looking at is 8.5j front n rear ..can the 255 tyre fit nicely ??

Then u shd look out for Sam (nick: Azriel)'s ride. He is running staggered. There are some running 19" all round too. Come to the meet and feast for yourself before making a decison bro.

T6 .thx for yr reply....i need to change urgently coz i really hate the wheels currently on the car, doesnt match at all !! whats the norm around here ? staggere or ?

likely goin for breyton 8.5j !!

Rastaman said:
T6 .thx for yr reply....i need to change urgently coz i really hate the wheels currently on the car, doesnt match at all !! whats the norm around here ? staggere or ?

likely goin for breyton 8.5j !!

Bro,

I am running 18" staggered but on an e39... so can't be more helpful but do note the disadvantages of running staggered... though look nice from the rear, big headache when it comes to tyre rotation. Do bear that in mind. I intend not to go for tyre rotation until biased tyre wear appears... then it will be a painful sight seeing the tyre shop guys prying open the tyres from the rims....

also, if u have a flat tyre, also small headache.

if u have a 3litre engine, and dun go tracking, u can upsize till 19" liao.

for normal E46 (other than the M3) the max offset is ET38, it is cast on back of rims.

as for 255 you should go with rims size of 9J if not the tire will be too fat for the rims on < 9J for 255. on 225 will sit nicely for 8J & 8.5J.

well if want more idea of what rims are avail. you could checkout the photo album area of the website.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/album_cat.php?cat_id=11

and if you come for the meetup, this is what will happen .... :laughlik:

album_pic.php

i am on 225/40/18 all round with 8J rims.

album_pic.php

c u at the meetup.

cheers

BT, hahaha! those pics are a laugh!

Ras, for your coupe, u can go 8.5J fronts and 9.5J rears. so its gonna be 235/35/19 fronts and 265/30/19 rears! just right if u ask me. BUT u must roll your rear fenders so that u won't get any rubbing issues!

Azrielsc said:
BT, hahaha! those pics are a laugh!

Ras, for your coupe, u can go 8.5J fronts and 9.5J rears. so its gonna be 235/35/19 fronts and 265/30/19 rears! just right if u ask me. BUT u must roll your rear fenders so that u won't get any rubbing issues!

sam,

another one more pic, well every face tells a story. (some say oppsss :silenced: , some in deep concentration :thinking:, some huh-shock :shock: , some good go for it 8), etc etc).

sorry i OT.

album_pic.php

end of OT

:silenced: :

Wow...fantastic and fast reply ..thanks to all. After reading all the posts i think i may have to re-consider again and possibly wait long (think this is always the case :( ) long for the perfect size combination !! dont think will go for 19's - tramlining, etc but u never know :laughlik:

rex 7 - yes, thats the same size combo i'm looking at. Any bulging off tyres at the rear ?

225mm will already tramline. so a 235mm on a 19" will not tramline by much more.

what u need here is cost consideration. do u want to pay more for a staggered setup? 225/40-18 is proportionally cheaper than the rest coz its a popular size.

first of all, why do you want to go for staggered? looks? handling? just feel song?

racebred - i'm goin for staggered coz stock already comes like that.... 225 front and rear 245 !! more for ;) handling than looks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet9club
Back