Upgrading an E60 523i to a 525!

loudshirt

Can someone help. Is it possible just to change the ECU on a 523i to bring it up to a 525i. Is there anybody in singapore that can do it? Secondly is it possible to buy a Sat/nav and/or cruise control system that doesnt look like an add on or an attachment'.

Both are considerably expensive if you go for the BMW path, ie factory fit

Re: Upgrading an E60 523i to a 525!

loudshirt;137738 said:
Can someone help. Is it possible just to change the ECU on a 523i to bring it up to a 525i. Is there anybody in singapore that can do it? Secondly is it possible to buy a Sat/nav and/or cruise control system that doesnt look like an add on or an attachment'.

Well, i think every tuner out there is werking thier ass to bloody try to get the gains of a 525, but if im not wrong internally you are already diff.. engine maybe same .. internals no, i.e throttle body , cams just to name a few. So you might just wanna opt for a typical Ecu reflash.. gains could come up to abt 15-20bhp. Just to name a few wld be DMS, HIOP ECU REFLASH and OBIT PIGGYBACK TUNING.

For Sat/Nav i think Wilman can help you out. do a search on his nick or click on our sponsors folder, you will see Wilma2772, send him a PM on ur needs.

loudshirt;137738 said:

With regards to ur 523 to 525, i dun think BMW PML does that, unless you were talking abt just ur sat/nav.

Many people bought the 523 thinking that it was a simple question of changing the ECU to get to a 525..... what they didn't bang on was that BMW had changed more than the ECU to up the power from 177 to 218...... similarly, the price (in Singapore anyways) had also gone up by the same margin making the 525 about $40k more expensive than the 523......

What the current 525 has that the 523 doesn't is:

1. Active Steering (which is GREAT by the way)
2. GPS + Big Screen (8.8")
3. Sports Steering Wheel
4. Different Rims
5. iDrive High
And of course, more power......

As for the GPS retrofit, I think PML is charging about $10k for it...... but this is inclusive of the change of i-Drive monitor to 8.8" - Wilson can do this!!!

For cruise control, I'm not too sure..... Again, check with Wilson..... Cruise Control is std on the 530, along with comfort seats......

If those things are important to you, then plan on getting the 525 because by the time you finish trying to up the power, change this and change that, the savings might not be sufficient for the effort.....

Good luck....

Thanks for the info, I couldnt justfy the extra cost from PML for the 525 for the extra HP, GPS etc. I must admit I'm not to sure that in sinagpore I can use the extra HP (legally!). Hell the 523 is three times the HP of my first car! (mind you that was years ago!). As for GPS again this is singapore , 32km wide , why do we need GPS when a$10 road map will can do for the 1 in 100 times you need it. and as for cruise control only on long drives i.e. more than 200km do you need it.

Hell if I had the money I would have bought a M5 !!

I think I will spend some money on toys instead

I have the GPS and to be honest, it is a nice to have, but not that great. I seldom use it and anyway, it is a pain to work out how to use, then it only gets you to a junction, not a block or building, has no other landmarks, just street names - so, save your money.

I had cruise control factory fitted which for me is mandatory. then logic 7, then comfort seats etc... etc. I had to wait nearly five months for the car. It started when PML informed that they are unable to to fit cruise control locally among other things.
If you order factory fitted options the prices are generally cheaper as these are exchanged for the original fittings, For example the sports steering with airbag costs only $420 if factory fitted. Cruise control saves me fuel and fines especially when driving up north.

loudshirt;137766 said:
Thanks for the info, I couldnt justfy the extra cost from PML for the 525 for the extra HP, GPS etc. I must admit I'm not to sure that in sinagpore I can use the extra HP (legally!). Hell the 523 is three times the HP of my first car! (mind you that was years ago!). As for GPS again this is singapore , 32km wide , why do we need GPS when a$10 road map will can do for the 1 in 100 times you need it. and as for cruise control only on long drives i.e. more than 200km do you need it.

Hell if I had the money I would have bought a M5 !!

I think I will spend some money on toys instead

What you say makes sense, why bother with GPS? why bother with extra BHP? then why bother with BMW??? Just get a Nissan Sunny or Toyota Altis and use the money saved on your toys.....

But in your first posting:

Is it possible just to change the ECU on a 523i to bring it up to a 525i. Is there anybody in singapore that can do it? Secondly is it possible to buy a Sat/nav and/or cruise control system that doesnt look like an add on or an attachment'.

You asked about changing the 523's ECU to the 525 one, then you are "not to sure that in sinagpore I can use the extra HP (legally!)."

You then ask about adding SatNav and/or Cruise Control, then you reply with "GPS again this is singapore , 32km wide , why do we need GPS when a$10 road map will can do for the 1 in 100 times you need it. and as for cruise control only on long drives i.e. more than 200km do you need it. "

So really, hell what you doin' thinkin' about a BMW? Hell, what do you want really?

Muahahahahaha!! Very well said Greg!!!

He slapped his own face for nothing..........

He asked for stuff but condemns.....blur...........

'The Great White'

TheNew7;137747 said:
similarly, the price (in Singapore anyways) had also gone up by the same margin making the 525 about $40k more expensive than the 523......

Good luck....

loudshirt

guess if u originally wanted more gadgets.... POWER n better performance.... u should have optED for the 525 instead... think u can bargain on the 40k diff... n it MAKES more sense n $$$ too...

bec if i'm not mistaken... there isnt much aftermarket MODS u can do for the engine of the 523.... more can be done actually for the M54 engine 525. n if u do that way...think changing the Headers,CAMs... orbits piggyback ECU re-map,shafts,CAI,pulleys,exhausts... u are probably looking at ard 25+++.... n ur 525 could maybe have a fair fight with Wilson's....:lol2:

so i guess u r better off saving ur money n buy ur toys.... forget abt getting that kind of power gain on ur 523

else ditch the car n swap it for a 525 or 530... n mod it up.... swee swee

All the above are true, if the money was avaliable it would be defn an M5, but given most of us have a budget, and we want the best out budget can buy .....then it is a 523 in my case!. As for toys, my Bema is my toy! I was just asking (and now i know) if it is possible, alas NOT.

Given the limited budget and value for money guess I will have to restrict my toys to things make the 523 look good rather than perform better.

loudshirt;137969 said:
All the above are true, if the money was avaliable it would be defn an M5, but given most of us have a budget, and we want the best out budget can buy .....then it is a 523 in my case!. As for toys, my Bema is my toy! I was just asking (and now i know) if it is possible, alas NOT.

Given the limited budget and value for money guess I will have to restrict my toys to things make the 523 look good rather than perform better.

hey man, no worries la.. prolly a misunderstanding.. neways.. it's a forum and questions and discussions are always welcome. And if you're thinking of dressing up ur 5.. dude, look for wilman too.. he'll hook u up with abt anything under sky.

Maybe i'd suggest a few things for ur toy:

1. Rims ( 18" - 20")

2. Bodykits ( Mtech bodykit/M5 bodykit/Hamann etc)

3. Blacked out grills ( this one subjective la, whether u like garang or classy)

4. Exhaust

5. Tints

6. Led Tail Lights

Man.. the list will go on.. promise you on that!!!.. anyways.. a few here and good luck dude!!

Shaaz.

I called C&C last week asking about the facelifted E-Class. The salesman told me that the facelifted E will probably be launched the mid of next month (unconfirmed though). It makes sense to delay buying a bmw 5 series for a few weeks. There will be a power upgraded E200 and an E230 (2.5 liter 200+ bhp) among others. I am sure Performance motors will have something up their sleeves when the facelifted mercs are launched. Who knows? maybe you can have your cake and eat it too (ie buying a 525 for close to 523 price). I am keeping my fingers crossed because I am looking to buy an E class or a 5.

shaaz;137984 said:
hey man, no worries la.. prolly a misunderstanding.. neways.. it's a forum and questions and discussions are always welcome. And if you're thinking of dressing up ur 5.. dude, look for wilman too.. he'll hook u up with abt anything under sky.

Maybe i'd suggest a few things for ur toy:

1. Rims ( 18" - 20")

2. Bodykits ( Mtech bodykit/M5 bodykit/Hamann etc)

3. Blacked out grills ( this one subjective la, whether u like garang or classy)

4. Exhaust

5. Tints

6. Led Tail Lights

Man.. the list will go on.. promise you on that!!!.. anyways.. a few here and good luck dude!!

Shaaz.

Well, there are some stuff you can add to 'power-up' the 523..... Coil Booster, DMS and adding a super/turbo charger...... The first two is alright and doesn't really do the engine any harm.... the third one, well, I'm no expert so I can't comment......

As for the other mods, Shaaz is one of the mod 'kings' (maybe just prince) but what he has suggested is basically what you will be considering when modding the car......

The stock car is already very good..... but it can always be better..... Shaaz did leave out three things......

1. Sway Bars
2. PSS9 CoilOvers
3. The now, infamous, Throttle Body Device (aka Sprint Booster)

If you need opinions and other stuff, come to a meet up and let the owners show you what they have got, then you can decide whether it works for you or not......The next meet up is this Sunday so try and come down.......

For everything else, there's WILMAN

playbox;138060 said:
I called C&C last week asking about the facelifted E-Class. The salesman told me that the facelifted E will probably be launched the mid of next month (unconfirmed though). It makes sense to delay buying a bmw 5 series for a few weeks. There will be a power upgraded E200 and an E230 (2.5 liter 200+ bhp) among others. I am sure Performance motors will have something up their sleeves when the facelifted mercs are launched. Who knows? maybe you can have your cake and eat it too (ie buying a 525 for close to 523 price). I am keeping my fingers crossed because I am looking to buy an E class or a 5.

The face-lifted E is open for booking now. Refundable deposit, if you book now, free Keyless GO.
Car come in Sep, if not happy, then back out. Please go check with SE. I think re-tuned engine give 184bhp for the E200ML

TheNew7;138096 said:
As for the other mods, Shaaz is one of the mod 'kings' (maybe just prince) but what he has suggested is basically what you will be considering when modding the car......

The stock car is already very good..... but it can always be better..... Shaaz did leave out three things......

1. Sway Bars
2. PSS9 CoilOvers
3. The now, infamous, Throttle Body Device (aka Sprint Booster)

If you need opinions and other stuff, come to a meet up and let the owners show you what they have got, then you can decide whether it works for you or not......The next meet up is this Sunday so try and come down.......

For everything else, there's WILMAN

oui, no la... just a normal follwer... yes.. those three are also a must do, you actually get satisfaction out of it. :)

Like what TheNew7 said, drop by this sunday.. you'll see all types.. will give you a better view of everything!

Shaaz

SuperChargeMe;138102 said:
The face-lifted E is open for booking now. Refundable deposit, if you book now, free Keyless GO.
Car come in Sep, if not happy, then back out. Please go check with SE. I think re-tuned engine give 184bhp for the E200ML

Yup. and E200k in 179k; dam high pricing. How much is the E230, and is it also inline4 supercharged, or a V6??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacainexus
Back