Underpowered 1 series?

Underpowered 1 series?

1. Typical 1.6 turbo driving experience
2. If its a late 2012 car, most issues should have been claimed under warranty. Example coolant and expansion tank.
3. I'm a traffic light sprinter. Only 8km/l.
4. Am using servicing package from ADs.
5. Many only sites have accessories or site sponsors.

Its not a twin turbo engine, its twinpower turbo. It does get v hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Underpowered 1 series?

Thank you very much for the reply!

Yes it is still under warranty. Just want to have a sense in what potentially could be the problems . I know all cars will give problems at some point in time.

So far, it's just coolant and expansion tank for your case? May I know how much would these have cost if assuming it is out of warranty period?

Apart from these problems, anything major to complain?

Thank you once again

Did PML SAs really think the white smoke is created by the heat from the twin turbos ?

And that the 118i has twin turbos ?

Oldman28;1120602 said:
Hi,

Considering to get a 2nd hand 118i ( F20 ), 5dr, late 2012.

Wondering if anyone can share:

1. Driving experience so far
2. Major problems for this car
3. Fuel consumption
4. Typical normal servicing cost both AD and outside workshop
5. Where can you buy accessories, for both interior and exterior, besides AD

Also, just to check, when you open the oil cap of the engine after driving, when it is on idle mode, is it common to see some white smoke?

Checked with PML and they mentioned that this is normal as twin turbo engine tends to be hotter than the normal engine. So this little white smoke coming out is nothing alarming.

Tried insisting that there could be some leak or some fault somewhere. Immediately they showed me 6 series with the same twin turbo engine and it is the same.

Anybody has anything to share on this?

Thank you

Isn't it normal to see a little white smoke/fume/vapour coming out when you open the oil cap right after driving?

And please do it with engine off.

Red_Bean_Bun;1120674 said:
Did PML SAs really think the white smoke is created by the heat from the twin turbos ?

And that the 118i has twin turbos ?

Not suprising. SA's area expertise is trying to sell and appease, few really know the technical aspects.

does 116d falls under this thread? Was planning to get a 116d next few days...

nicepal;1124132 said:
does 116d falls under this thread? Was planning to get a 116d next few days...

absolutely I would think - although this is a diesel engine with a different power rating.

:) Though it's tough to determine "underpower".. if want to move but does not move fast is referring to "underpowered", I guessed it should be sufficient for a person like me that drove a estima... ;)
But I do like the idea of having a Rear Wheel Drive Car, just that the rear center seat has a thing budging out that makes the rear center not that comfortable to sit...

nicepal;1124136 said:
:) Though it's tough to determine "underpower".. if want to move but does not move fast is referring to "underpowered", I guessed it should be sufficient for a person like me that drove a estima... ;)
But I do like the idea of having a Rear Wheel Drive Car, just that the rear center seat has a thing budging out that makes the rear center not that comfortable to sit...
Very easy lah.

116d has 115bhp & weight of 1.5 ton.

Mini Cooper D has 115bhp & weight of 1.4 ton.

Which 1 is underpower?

It is always normal to have that center bulging due to drive shaft tunnel. Even Lexus can't escape it.

Unless you enjoy driving, otherwise there will be no diff btw FWD & RWD.

Estima 2.4 is definitely underpower.

Estima 3.5 is definitely NOT underpower.

Lastly, diesel engine has clattering sound during idling. Make sure you can take it hor. I can't escape it even though mine is petrol.

davidtch, thanks for sharing.

if I were to change from estima to 116d, I guess I will not feel underpower anymore.. ;)

Me is wondering about the engine sound too, which will check out if go test drive... I don't really expect the "cannot hear" level....

(me also the nicepal from MCF...:) )

davidtch;1124148 said:
Very easy lah.

116d has 115bhp & weight of 1.5 ton.

Mini Cooper D has 115bhp & weight of 1.4 ton.

Which 1 is underpower?

It is always normal to have that center bulging due to drive shaft tunnel. Even Lexus can't escape it.

Unless you enjoy driving, otherwise there will be no diff btw FWD & RWD.

Estima 2.4 is definitely underpower.

Estima 3.5 is definitely NOT underpower.

Lastly, diesel engine has clattering sound during idling. Make sure you can take it hor. I can't escape it even though mine is petrol.

Taxi???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

ac323;1124155 said:
Taxi???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers
Alvin, my N18 also clatter like taxi during idling.

(posted on MCF, so thought might as well post here too)

test drove the 116d and the series 2 touran today.
- 116d felt normal under the comfort and ECO mode but the sports mode does make a huge difference. response was good. The car is a little low, thus making it more stable than the touran.
- the touran, on the other hand felt a little tall a like wobble when making normal cornering, probably CG is higher. Though torque is higher than the 116, also felt weak unless under the sports mode.

the 116d's 8 speed transmission gear box looks very electronic with press the "P" at any gear will put the car under Park. Hand Brake is still the traditional "Hand Brake" Though a little "old fashion" but seems still "safer" than the series 2 touran's "Electronic Parking" button.

My wife like the series 2 for it is taller and larger leg space for the rear seat. But I preferred the 116d as it has a better driving experience and newer look. But my wife felt the 116d a little too small for me, say may make me felt like "Mr Bean".. But I felt the series 2 is like a Oversized Honda Jazz....

Final decision, I went with the 116d. But my wife still felt she preferred the series 2 touran.... ;) :(

nicepal;1124254 said:
(posted on MCF, so thought might as well post here too)

test drove the 116d and the series 2 touran today.
- 116d felt normal under the comfort and ECO mode but the sports mode does make a huge difference. response was good. The car is a little low, thus making it more stable than the touran.
- the touran, on the other hand felt a little tall a like wobble when making normal cornering, probably CG is higher. Though torque is higher than the 116, also felt weak unless under the sports mode.

the 116d's 8 speed transmission gear box looks very electronic with press the "P" at any gear will put the car under Park. Hand Brake is still the traditional "Hand Brake" Though a little "old fashion" but seems still "safer" than the series 2 touran's "Electronic Parking" button.

My wife like the series 2 for it is taller and larger leg space for the rear seat. But I preferred the 116d as it has a better driving experience and newer look. But my wife felt the 116d a little too small for me, say may make me felt like "Mr Bean".. But I felt the series 2 is like a Oversized Honda Jazz....

Final decision, I went with the 116d. But my wife still felt she preferred the series 2 touran.... ;) :(

looks like you gonna end-up buying 1 more BMW ( 2 Series )

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

;(
Not in the near future. Probably will "tahan" the 116d for 3 years then see how. If to get series 2, i would rather save more money for 5 years and get the X3 or X5... ;) (in my dream)... Any more than 180k is definitely not my budget....

Well, i recently collected my 116d as well. was previously driving a E90 (320i) then to a E83 (X3) and now the F20 (116d)

Been wanting to try out diesel engines in our environment. Given the price tag, i thought it was a good opportunity. If it doesn't work out well, the 116d can probably be swapped for something else with minimal losses.

Anyway, been driving the car for about 250km so far.

1) The engine is noisier than the petrol variant when you are outside the car, no doubt. But its not intrusive at all.
2) The engine is torque-y. you can go to 100km/h without much trouble. i don't think i will struggle with overtaking on the road
3) When you are driving, the diesel engine isn't much noisier than the petrol engine. If fact, i don't think one can tell the difference, seriously
4) the car is small. especially when compared to the X3. I cannot imagine having 5 adults in the car. My daily commute is only two person, so i'm actually okay with this.
5) Over the last 250km, the Fuel consumption is about 15km/l. though i suspect this is not quite accurate. I can probably tell better when i start going to the pump. PML/BMW now gives a full tank of fuel at collection, so i don't think i will be going to the fuel station for at least another two weeks. The first quarter tank got me 250km. I suspect the tank will be able to carry me for around 700 to 800km. Even though i am not a heavy driver, the X3 was costing me about $500 per month in petrol. I am hoping that with the 116d, i can cut that to about $100.

In terms of power, well, if you are comparing this to a Z4 or a 335 / 535 etc..etc... i am sure it would be underpowered. But i think for normal Singapore traffic, i think it is sufficient. i don't quite zip off the traffic lights or floor my pedals when i drive, but i do like to push the machine a bit once in a while. I personally finds the power pretty okay. Certainly comparable to a 320i or a 520i.

it is certainly not as comfortable as a 3 or 5 series. But the car is quite fun to drive, i have to say.

The concern i have about this car is the regeneration process. I am not exactly sure if there is enough distance and time travelled for the engine to go through a regen process. Will have to monitor this. I have recently purchased the Carly dongle, hopefully i can force a regen whenever required.

the other thing is, i wonder why PML removed the "116d" at the back of the car. I didn't see it on mine. And i didn't see it on any of the cars when i was collecting mine. forgot to ask the sales person also.

BTW, i had a very nice sales person helping me with my transaction. i didn't even have to bargain. He basically threw in everything he could without me asking for it. In the end i decided to take a 2 year loan, hopefully he gets some of his money back. This is my third Beemer in the last 9 years, and i have never had some many freebies from any of the sales person.

If anyone is looking for a referral, i am happy to. I am not related to him nor looking for a kickback from him. So its at your own comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry2703, that is a nice review there.
I will be collecting my car this Wednesday. I am surprise you collected your car with Full Tank, normally dealer mostly pump 1/4 to 1/2 tank.
Not sure what kind of freebies did you get because there are few features that pml was offering with the 116d is actually non standard item. I probably only get 3 "freebies" that is not under their 116d specification purchase.

Since I never own a beemer before, cant really share my experience but I will try to put some notes after I collected my car this week... ;)

Hey Nicepal,

you would enjoy the ride. since i switch to the german marque 9 years ago, i have never looked back. Sometimes feels a bit snobbish about myself....

i initially was looking at the 520d... it had to be indented. he gave me quite a few things in that transaction. But when the 116 promotion came up, I decided to get the 116d instead. Since i am not sure about diesel in Singapore, i was more comfortable with a smaller outflow.

I am wondering if i can trouble you to ask your SE why they remove the "116d" at the back? i kinda like it actually...

Freebie list is best not shared publicly anyway.

henry

Henry2703. I will msg my SE now to ask about the "116d", i guessed they remove so public see more of series 1 rather than flooded with diesel 116.. ;)
Ur r downwards from beemer... I was mostly on jap car and saw 116d promo is quite close to other hybrid or diesel car when i am sourcing for cars... Cos my budget only up to 116d... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188vip

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back