Tyre stain on rims ?

adsnx

Hi ,

There seems to hv this stretch of stain appear over the edge on one particular rim.
It can be cleanse off (need to exert some strength to scratch off & it looks like fine tyre risidue ) .......strange cos the tyre doesn't rub with the rim surface.

Appreciate any advice & thanks in advance!

Tyre_1.JPG

Re: Tyre stain on rims ?

There are 2 types of stain I've found on my rims - dust stain and grease stain.

Dust stain could be kept to a minimum through the use of low-dust pads and regular washing, but note that the residual dust can cause some sort of "oxidation" - the parts where the dust resides can turn yellowish after a long time. Solution - respray the entire rim.

Grease stain are easier to handle. I swear by McGuire's wheel cleaner. Just spray, wait for 1 min, hose off. Kim kim goot goot, no dust no grease.

The other school of thought is --- don't bother cleaning your rims. After 2-3 years, just respray it. May be cheaper than buying all those wheel cleaners, wheel brush, scrub, etc etc...

:)

Kenneth,

thanks but it doesn't seems like grease or dust stain....more like rubber rub on rim.

haha..rather difficult to visualise ya...i won't clean it off, show u on spooky nite drive.

My rims hv got some tire rubber stain but it's from track day , ie rubber burn
Can be removed but need to use some strength.

TripleM said:
My rims hv got some tire rubber stain but it's from track day , ie rubber burn
Can be removed but need to use some strength.

Jack...could be the same on my rim.

so it could hv resulted fr high speed on the track in yr case, thanks!

Exactly, but in your case. It's different culprit but same consequence.

emiffy said:
The other school of thought is --- don't bother cleaning your rims. After 2-3 years, just respray it. May be cheaper than buying all those wheel cleaners, wheel brush, scrub, etc etc...

:)

I also got 3M, Meguiar and one more brand of wheel cleaner. When they are finished, I will not buy anymore of these bcos I ve found a much cheaper version. It cost only $3.20 a bottle and works as well as the rest. Thanks to NTUC fairprice. Oh BTW I got some at $2.50 a bottle when its was on promotion :)

I ve not really tried the spray on-wait 5 mins-hose off method using meguiar rim cleaner. is this method good? I always thought some scrubbing with a brush is better. kenntona, do u dilute the meguiar solution or use concentrated?

adrian.. told u to stop burning rubber in the carpark!!!!....

shaaz said:
adrian.. told u to stop burning rubber in the carpark!!!!....

i dun burn RUBBER in public place..especially carpk. Too dangerous..might get caught!

Ahbengdriver said:
I ve not really tried the spray on-wait 5 mins-hose off method using meguiar rim cleaner. is this method good? I always thought some scrubbing with a brush is better. kenntona, do u dilute the meguiar solution or use concentrated?
Use straight from the bottle. If you keep the solution on the wheel for longer-than-necessary, there will be some white stain left after you hose off and dry the wheels. You can wipe it off nevertheless, but you can never be too sure if it can be corrosive to your alloys.

adsnx said:
i dun burn RUBBER in public place..especially carpk. Too dangerous..might get caught!

:thinking:
Then what else did u do in yr car which resulted in STAINS all over your car? :)

wa..looks pretty bad from that pic..hmm although u cant see the tyres touching the rims,but maybe it only touches it when the wheels are moving??i think so..

Back