Tuning new F series cars

detach8

Hmm endless pursuit of more power. :huhhuh:

Everybody wants more low end power, who doesn't! :sneaky:

The new engines are already having full torque kick in at 1,250rpm. That's pretty much the start of the drivable RPM range. But people still want moreeeeeeee!

FYI some tunes I have seen for NA car is simply a high end sprint booster in disguise -- change the throttle curve, advance ignition timing a little, no fuelling change. You feel the car take off because now your first 20% of the throttle is so much more sensitive, but as you floor it everything is actually still the same because near the top end of the RPM range your car is pretty much making full power and most tuners don't dare to go mess around with ign timing and fueling in that territory. Granted in SG we have good quality fuel so maybe +2-3 degrees advance timing will make a few more hp. So that works out to maybe $200-300/hp gain. Sibey expensive, bro... you still won't win that Sonata taxi off the line. Just slap on some lightweight 17" rims and you should take off like a rocket and improve FC.

For TC engines, much easier job because some tunes will just boost the turbo pressure without altering fueling much. Hurray you get more power and better FC, but this will run your engine dangerously on the edge of lean without you knowing unless you continuously measure your exhaust with a wide band O2 sensor. Luckily in SG we have pretty high quality high octane fuel. If you are a frequent M'sia traveler - think not twice, but trice.

Think about it. You add more air (boost), you need to add more fuel. How does adding more fuel give better FC? Then in this case 328i should get better FC that 320i. This should be your first observation after tuning - more power, worse FC. If it's not the case, it should raise a red flag.

In real life it is not that simple. Your injectors have a finite limit to the amount of fuel it can give. Most engines have a safety cut off that if you run too lean it will simply STOP fueling so you won't have any combustion. At low throttle most should cope well, but at higher RPM ranges you will have two problems -- first the fueling (pressure) may be insufficient to keep up with the extra air, second the fueling and air metering may not be quick and accurate enough hence some cars tend to overfuel a bit to compensate and protect the engine.

Be very careful when tuning... unless you intend to sell your car next year. Long term reliability of the new N13/N20 engines is still unknown.

A lot of VW folks will know, MTM not enough... go for aftermarket ones give you crazy power. Luckily for VW the block is made largely of cast iron. BMW is magnesium. N46 and N52 bros will swear by the amount of leaks these magnesium blocks develop after 4-5 years or about 80,000 kms. You are threading a very thin line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tuning new F series cars

Thanks for your info. Out of curiosity, what made you want to type this post?

Want mod don't scare. Although I was scared like fark after the drive train malfunction limp mode came up. It was due to a bad connector pin.

I would think one will use less fuel after chipping ONLY IF one still sticks to a sane driving pattern and the car was slightly underpowered to begin with.

After chipping mine, fc is same. Spirited driving is another story though.

Probably depends on how much your chip box is boosting. Very significant power gain for mine.

The bmw published fuel consumption difference between 520i and 528i is only 0.1L/100km for combined and 0.2L/100km for city. Hardly noticeable or significant if you ask me. Plus the whole engine is the same, except for the exhaust and intercooler. Should be safe to boost the 20i slightly.

End of the day it depends on how you drive too. An engine that was chipped and driven at sane 1500-3000rpm daily will probably outlast an engine that was stock but driven hard and often redlined.

Slow_poke_driver;899192 said:
Want mod don't scare. Although I was scared like fark after the drive train malfunction limp mode came up. It was due to a bad connector pin.

I liked reading your two sentences back to back, sorry to hear that though. How did you clear the malfunction? RMAed your box and good to go again?

detach8;899171 said:
Hmm endless pursuit of more power. :huhhuh:

Everybody wants more low end power, who doesn't! :sneaky:

The new engines are already having full torque kick in at 1,250rpm. That's pretty much the start of the drivable RPM range. But people still want moreeeeeeee!

FYI some tunes I have seen for NA car is simply a high end sprint booster in disguise -- change the throttle curve, advance ignition timing a little, no fuelling change. You feel the car take off because now your first 20% of the throttle is so much more sensitive, but as you floor it everything is actually still the same because near the top end of the RPM range your car is pretty much making full power and most tuners don't dare to go mess around with ign timing and fueling in that territory. Granted in SG we have good quality fuel so maybe +2-3 degrees advance timing will make a few more hp. So that works out to maybe $200-300/hp gain. Sibey expensive, bro... you still won't win that Sonata taxi off the line. Just slap on some lightweight 17" rims and you should take off like a rocket and improve FC.

For TC engines, much easier job because some tunes will just boost the turbo pressure without altering fueling much. Hurray you get more power and better FC, but this will run your engine dangerously on the edge of lean without you knowing unless you continuously measure your exhaust with a wide band O2 sensor. Luckily in SG we have pretty high quality high octane fuel. If you are a frequent M'sia traveler - think not twice, but trice.

Think about it. You add more air (boost), you need to add more fuel. How does adding more fuel give better FC? Then in this case 328i should get better FC that 320i. This should be your first observation after tuning - more power, worse FC. If it's not the case, it should raise a red flag.

In real life it is not that simple. Your injectors have a finite limit to the amount of fuel it can give. Most engines have a safety cut off that if you run too lean it will simply STOP fueling so you won't have any combustion. At low throttle most should cope well, but at higher RPM ranges you will have two problems -- first the fueling (pressure) may be insufficient to keep up with the extra air, second the fueling and air metering may not be quick and accurate enough hence some cars tend to overfuel a bit to compensate and protect the engine.

Be very careful when tuning... unless you intend to sell your car next year. Long term reliability of the new N13/N20 engines is still unknown.

A lot of VW folks will know, MTM not enough... go for aftermarket ones give you crazy power. Luckily for VW the block is made largely of cast iron. BMW is magnesium. N46 and N52 bros will swear by the amount of leaks these magnesium blocks develop after 4-5 years or about 80,000 kms. You are threading a very thin line.

Very good info.. U have just convinced me that I should not tune :)

Just enjoy the ride and believe that BMW already design every car to perform optimally

Good info...just do up kits, rim, exos and bbk can liao...but then what is all that without the power????

leslie11;899193 said:
I liked reading your two sentences back to back, sorry to hear that though. How did you clear the malfunction? RMAed your box and good to go again?

It was due to a loose pin on the wire harness. Autostrasse replaced it foc. They were very nice to wait for me even though I called them for help 15min before their closing hour.

Didn't have to clear anything coz it was just like a sensor connector came loose.

The weird thing was that while the car was in limp mode, no fault code was detected through the obd connector.

Handling is still everything.......

* power is nothing without proper handling........
mod is the way to go......
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

STOCK IS THE BEST.

Want fast car that can cup corner, buy ///M.

ac323;899320 said:
Handling is still everything.......

* power is nothing without proper handling........
mod is the way to go......
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

and braking... always mod ur stopping power 1st

Holici;899326 said:
and braking... always mod ur stopping power 1st

yes Braking is part of handling......
power

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Slow_poke_driver;899192 said:

I would think one will use less fuel after chipping ONLY IF one still sticks to a sane driving pattern and the car was slightly underpowered to begin with.

After chipping mine, fc is same. Spirited driving is another story though.

Probably depends on how much your chip box is boosting. Very significant power gain for mine.

The bmw published fuel consumption difference between 520i and 528i is only 0.1L/100km for combined and 0.2L/100km for city. Hardly noticeable or significant if you ask me. Plus the whole engine is the same, except for the exhaust and intercooler. Should be safe to boost the 20i slightly.

End of the day it depends on how you drive too. An engine that was chipped and driven at sane 1500-3000rpm daily will probably outlast an engine that was stock but driven hard and often redlined.

Unless you dynoed you won't know if all that butt feel is an altered throttle sensitivity, or simply some gearbox tweaks. A lot of chips do modify these two to give better "butt feel", especially for VW DSG... holding the first gear a little longer makes a hell lot of difference!

Heck on paper the 3.0L N52 28i does about the same FC as a 2.0L N20 28i. FC is quite straightforward... it's all about the power:weight:drag. I don't think there's much magic. Auto start-stop all that nonsense just to save a few drops of fuel at idle is pretty much rubbish to meet the FC requirements.

Not saying all chips are bad. Our engines are over-engineered to a certain extent for reliability so some mild chip-ups are fine, but if we push it, the fact is we really don't know where the limit is. Auto mfgs are having a hard time trying to keep up with the fuel economy regulations and I have a feeling* that the N13/N20 engines aren't as over engineered as the earlier NA engines.

* I've got a feelin' nia, no proof...

Of course since N20 20i and N13 16i are "detuned" engines sure it is possible to squeeze a little more out of them. But I think a lot of people don't realize that an engine needs to COOL itself and a smaller intercooler... is a smaller intercooler. Singapore is HOT as ... well.. hell (almost lah)

Terras14;899290 said:
Good info...just do up kits, rim, exos and bbk can liao...but then what is all that without the power????

You're driving a BMW mah, why want to fight with the Audi (VW) and Mercs. One is FWD rubbish, the other is 1.6L shameful. :p

Apple to apple 328i vs Audi 2.0T quattro vs Merc C250, stock 328i still win.

detach8;899383 said:
You're driving a BMW mah, why want to fight with the Audi (VW) and Mercs. One is FWD rubbish, the other is 1.6L shameful. :p

Apple to apple 328i vs Audi 2.0T quattro vs Merc C250, stock 328i still win.

bro i agree with u y bother fight with other cars....but nobody says that we r fighting with other cars...it's never ending if wanna fight with other cars cos there always a faster car on the road..jus simply enjoy the ride and the mods u did....always remember safety comes first and thru driving the car n discussion of the car stuffs n mods foster gd frenships among us...so to each of his own.

Yes, I agree that butt feel can be inaccurate if you are comparing normal driving coz we don't know if it is the throttle becoming more sensitive or....However, if you do a wot pull, you can easily detect if the power really increased or not. IMHO, it might be difficult to detect a power gain in a already fast car, but it is easy to detect an improvement if the car was slightly underpowered to begin with. In any case, there are lots of dyno proofs around to show that some do work, while some don't.

Then again, simple chipping of turbo engine like n13/n20/n55 etc via tuning box is NOT what you think.

What the tuning box does is to take in the signal from your TMAP and boost pressure sensor, then reduce that signal before feeding back to ecu. This "fakes" the ecu into thinking there is less boost than there really is. And then the wastegate is kept open longer...or at least the above is how I think a tuning box works. Some will monitor more of the sensors, like crank position blah blah blah.

The tuning box does not have access to throttle position or gearbox shift points etc etc.

I installed a tuning box. At full throttle from 50km/hr to 140km/hr, I felt a pull that I never had before. Before the box, the pull started flatening out at above 4500+ rev. With the tuning box, I could clearly feel the pull still going stronger even till 5500rpm. Then again, it could be psychological, weather or just because the engine was happier that day. In any case, I was really happy with the $800 purchase. Cheap thrill.

detach8;899378 said:
Unless you dynoed you won't know if all that butt feel is an altered throttle sensitivity, or simply some gearbox tweaks. A lot of chips do modify these two to give better "butt feel", especially for VW DSG... holding the first gear a little longer makes a hell lot of difference!

Heck on paper the 3.0L N52 28i does about the same FC as a 2.0L N20 28i. FC is quite straightforward... it's all about the power:weight:drag. I don't think there's much magic. Auto start-stop all that nonsense just to save a few drops of fuel at idle is pretty much rubbish to meet the FC requirements.

Not saying all chips are bad. Our engines are over-engineered to a certain extent for reliability so some mild chip-ups are fine, but if we push it, the fact is we really don't know where the limit is. Auto mfgs are having a hard time trying to keep up with the fuel economy regulations and I have a feeling* that the N13/N20 engines aren't as over engineered as the earlier NA engines.

* I've got a feelin' nia, no proof...

Of course since N20 20i and N13 16i are "detuned" engines sure it is possible to squeeze a little more out of them. But I think a lot of people don't realize that an engine needs to COOL itself and a smaller intercooler... is a smaller intercooler. Singapore is HOT as ... well.. hell (almost lah)

Hi Slow_poke_driver,

which tuning box did you put on?

Do share your experiences.

cheers

Sorry, I meant to say ECU reflash, not specifically targeted at those piggyback boxes. I swear my ECU remap on my E90 had messed around with my throttle sensitivity giving me the false sense of power.

Some chips plug into the OBD port. I am not sure if those mess with the throttle. I think* some do.

* Just a guess, no proof.

Anyway the saying goes, scared don't mod. Mod don't scared. I'm just sharing what I know and what I think... if you want to still go ahead with tuning by all means.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back