The regions oldest "M car"? The first turbo in southeast Asia

dlacey

Hey All,
I am Dave, based in Penang, I wanted to introduce an interesting piece of BMW history to you. I hilite it now as September will be the 50th anniversary of the car's launch at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the first european turbo (before Porsche) - launched in '73, deliveries started in '74.

I have a BMW 2002 turbo that was imported new to Malaysia in 1974, raced by the likes of Eric Ooi and Pocholo Ramirez in 1975, then was a regular road car traveling to Singapore & around Malaysia regularly. I found it in Penang, in a partially dismantled and rather corroded state, but BMW Munich confirmed it was an original '02 turbo (1672 made, estimated ~10% remain). This particular car was delivered to BMW concessionaires (UK) Ltd in June '74 and registered in Malaysia early Jan '75, its one of 19 UK deliveries (with mph speedo) in Polaris (Silver) colour.

1684709699048.png

It raced at "The Enduro '75" at Shah Alam Circuit in Selangor, close to Kuala Lumpur. This circuit is known locally as Batu Tiga. The New Straits Times of Friday July 4th 1975 announces that 1972/73 Filipino 'racing driver of the year' Pocholo Ramirez will be entering Enduro '75 with a "stock standard BMW 2002 turbo" and had surprised everyone by recording the fastest times in practice:
1684709960157.png

The car led the race until the 76th lap before Ramirez retired it with a 'rear axle fire'... on restoration I found clear evidence of the differential having failed and the floor of thr car under the seats was clearly charred from the fire!

In September 1975 at the Penang street circuit there was a 'Super Saloons' race in support of the Penang Grand Prix. This BMW 2002 turbo was entered & driven by Eric Ooi. The picture (below) was taken during the race at the Weld Quay corner. In 2021 we re-created this pic - same exact car, same location - 46 years later. The warehouse at the back is a bit more dilapidated, the car restored close to its original condition. Thanks to Johnny Ooi for his original 1975 photo, plus Adrian Chua for his modern re-creation.

1684709586777.png

I am driving the car down to Retrohavoc in KL next weekend, its a reliable car... the turbo technology is that which Hans Stuck used to win the 1969 European Touring Car Championship, engine designed by Rosche and von Falkenhausen. Of course that same technology would eventually power the 1983 Brabham BMW F1 cars (1,5 litre BMW M12/13 @1350BHP), same iron block and injection system as the road car.

Is this an 'M' car? Well, it was designed by the Motorsport personnel before 'M' was formed, & it was the first BMW production car to feature the Msport colours. Not officially M, but more motorsport DNA than most cars...

So, let me know if there's any big 'M' events in Singapore - would be interested to drive down & participate :)

Attachments

• 1684709979906.png
    1684709979906.png
    591 KB · Views: 23
There is a "BMW M club" in Singapore but u need to pay them to be a member and join their events. Not a fan of paid membership for car clubs so I am unable to help further but maybe you can link up with them for events.

Classic & Sports Car – BMW 2002 turbo: induction ceremony
I cant include a link to the story.... suggest you google "BMW 2002 turbo: induction ceremony"

In the 1968 European Touring Car Challenge a raft of privateer Porsche 911s went to war with the works BMW 2002s, which were equipped with Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection.

The BMWs made 200bhp at 7500rpm with the aid of 11:1 compression, and were equipped with large wheelarch extensions and spiderweb-patterned BBS alloys.

The Munich factory squad bagged the spoils – just. The margin of victory was half a point, Porsche having taken the final three rounds. The winners were clearly on the back foot.

BMW made full of use of the broad-minded Group 5 regulations for the season ahead, the new strain of 2002 racer featuring a single KKK turbocharger mounted forwards and to the right of the slant-four, and fed by the Kugelfischer injection system via a mass of tubing that ran, tendril-like, over the cam cover.

Weighing less than 1900lb (862kg) and boasting four-wheel disc brakes behind 10in-wide wheels, the 2002 TiK (the ‘K’ standing for kompressor) performed brilliantly.

Sure, fuel consumption was horrific, and there was no intercooler, but gradual reductions of the compression ratio and constant reinforcement of the high-pressure fuel pump meant that it stayed together long enough to give Dieter Quester four outright victories.

I will be driving my 2002 turbo down to Singapore on 9th September for a car show on Sentosa... say hi if you are nearby!

Hi Dave, really really cool write up on this car! great to see enthusiasts like you preserving the history and heritage of BMW's fabled motorsports division :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnloh1221
Back