Super Sprint Quad Mufflers For E92 335i

Re: Super Sprint Quad Mufflers For E92 335i

Supersprint;853777 said:
That's strange...I can assure you that BMW selsl the parts separately in case of accident!

This is the ETK page of the exact part the Supersprint x-pipe replace:
335i-stock-centre-exhaust.jpg

I think that as long as the parts of the exhaust are genuine or approved, even if they are not a whole system but welded or fitted toghether with adaptors, you should be good...

Mind you, I'm not an expert on ispections in other countries.

Hi,

I just realized that this drawing is for the N54. N55 comes with a cross pipe without a resonator. So, does this mean that it will not make a difference to the sound since the SuperSprint midpipe is almost similar to my stock N55 midpipes?

Sorry I missed the detail it's a N55!
Here are the ETK images of that model:
335i-N55-downpipe.jpg

335i-N55-centrale.jpg

The centre section is pipe only, so you won't get any increase in sound with the Supersprint centre x-pipe.
The only way to increase the sound is to fit the racing rear exhaust, not LTA approved.

Or you should wait for the Supersprint specific downpipe, which has not been developed yet.

At the moment we had just the X3 with this engine.
Details of the exhaust systems:
BMW F25 X3 35i 2011 ??, exhaust system
The dyno chart of the full system is pretty good:
40677.jpg

+ 19,4 hp @ 5200 rpm
+ 20,2 cv max power
+ 35,4 nm @ 3500 rpm
+ 22,9 nm max torque

The system is actually cheaper thanks to the single cat.

The difference in layout from the X3 to the 335 is that the X3 stock system is a single pipe all the way, while the 335 is diveded just after the cat in two pipelines, to avoid the reduction of the distance between the exhaust and the ground.

After having the AR downpipe installed, the turbo lag has been reduced very significantly and the drive is superb with no check engine lights at all. However, the drone from the mufflers are getting very unbearable between 2000-2400rpm. Unlike the Eisenmann which I've heard, this guy just HUMS!!! Makes it feel like my ears are blocked up sometimes....quite uncomfortable. Makes my wanna cut up these mufflers and do a muffler delete!

The N55 drones a lot. We designed a specific centre silencer for the X3 just for that reason.
We haven't been able to test our muffler on the N55 E92 sadly!

Supersprint;858539 said:
The N55 drones a lot. We designed a specific centre silencer for the X3 just for that reason.
We haven't been able to test our muffler on the N55 E92 sadly!

I can tell you....on my N55 E92 with a catless downpipe, it drones like mad....possibly the worse muffler I have ever owned...it's either you don't hear the muffler or when you do hear it at a certain RPM, it kills your ears...:biggun:

alvinthedrummer;858726 said:
I can tell you....on my N55 E92 with a catless downpipe, it drones like mad....possibly the worse muffler I have ever owned...it's either you don't hear the muffler or when you do hear it at a certain RPM, it kills your ears...:biggun:

What muffler are you using bro?

btw the good thing about droning is that you don't have to upgrade sound system, can keep calm even though your wife/GF is nagging from Jurong to Changi because you can't hear a thing, and when people complain about wind noise and noisy tyres you can just laugh it off.

My bro Jin taught me one. He sart.

Supersprint....with super drones....I think I may go cut it up tomorrow at Man exhaust....

Alvin if you want I can arrange a custom x-pipe with a silencer, that will erase the drone.
I need to know exacly at what rpms it drones. Is it 1800/2500?
We had a similar problem with the Audi S5 3.0 TFSI, that engine has like 3 different kinds of resonance at different rev points!

Supersprint;859255 said:
Alvin if you want I can arrange a custom x-pipe with a silencer, that will erase the drone.
I need to know exacly at what rpms it drones. Is it 1800/2500?
We had a similar problem with the Audi S5 3.0 TFSI, that engine has like 3 different kinds of resonance at different rev points!

But that's gonna cost me a lot more money and possibly make the entire system quieter? If I cut up the muffler and do an internal modification, it'll cost me only a fraction of the cost. I am already very unhappy with the system and I really don't want to spend more money with supersprint.

Btw, coincidentally my last car was a S5 3.0TFSI! It was running on Fox mufflers! Very nice growl...and although drones, it's about 70% lesser than what I have now....

Last edited by a moderator:

On the S5 if you just change the mufflers there's no problem, but once you start to free up the exhaust you'll get a lot of it.

Anyway, if I can help you with the modification, I will be happy! What kind of change do you have in mind? You didn't answe, at what revs does it drone?

The drone happen between 1600RPM to 2500RPM. I'm thinking of getting our local exhaust chop shop to cut an opening from the top of the mufflers, cut up the perforated pipes and replace them with new pipes (with no perforation). And then close back the top opening of course. This way I should be able to get a nice roar rather then just a humming sound.

You'll have even more drone.

You'll need a classic resonator, a silencers in the centre pipe of the correct size.

An alternative solution to erase the drone is to fit a blind pipe as a resonator, tuned for the specific freqency of the drone.

You have to cut a hole in the side of the centre pipe or wherever you have room for another pipe running parallel to the main one.
Then you weld another short pipe as in a T-juction, and another 90 degree bend with a 50-70 cm pipe connected to it. You'll end up with two pipes, one is the main one, the other one is parallel to it.
Then you fit a slightly bigger and longer pipe on top of that, in a way that it can slide on the other one and change the lenght of the parallel pipe.
The end must be closed.

The target of this secondary pipe is to reflect the pressure waves, deleting the ones arriving from the engine at a specific range of frequencies.

As you change the lenght of the pipe the range will change, thus the need for a variable lenght, to tune it to the drone you have.
One you get the length correct you can weld the pipe in position and put a reinforcement, like a small plate, between the main pipe and the resonator pipe, to avoid cracks.

If you add a chamber at the end of the pipe this is called a Helmotz resonator, is an active way of reducing drone without loosing the sporty sound.

Thanks a lot for your advise.....but That's too much work! My God....should I just sell the mufflers and buy an Eissenman? Damn....I just want a bit more rasp in the sound rather than just a hummmmmm.....

Are you even sure the Eissenman won't drone with your decat downpipe?

Yes...minimal...I work very closely with a friend who drives the exact same car with Eisenmann sport mufflers (not race) with AA catless DP...there is drone...but not as bad...plus it gets blended in nicely with the raspy notes....so you don't get that "blocked up ears" feeling like I do now with the HUMmmmm....

The only thing I do enjoy now is the occasional popping I get from the SuperSprint but I would love to hear more rasp and the some roaring noise when floored....what else can I do? Are your centre pipes bigger in diameter than the stock pipes I have now?

If you'lll fit the centre silencer developed for the N54 you'll end up with a quieter system but I can't assure you won't have drone. We haven't tested the car yet.

I'm trying to source a N55 engined E92 here in Italy so we work on it an find the best solution.

The problem is we have so many project going on that I'm not sure when we'll be able to to it.

One more thing. The reason why the Eisenmann drone less but doesn't pop is that the silencer is not a direct flow one but it's a chamber type. This means there isn't an uninterrupted drilled pipe inside but the pipe goes in, then stop, and a different pipe start again before coming out. This is close to the stock exhaust design and not the best for efficiency / performance. We use this kind of design only when we can't fine a better solution.

I see...I like how the tips look on the Supersprint but I really want some raspy notes...otherwise it's just a hum...and when I floor my car, I don't hear the exhaust at all...takes away the driving experience....if you can find a solution let me know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zxb9236
Back