Strange rattling / vibrating noise

mohankls

hi fellow M bros..

I've been having rather annoying rattling/vibrating type of noise/sounds coming into the cabin from the under carriage whilst driving. I'm really not sure where exactly it originates as sound radiation can be very misleading to say the least. It gets really bad on uneven roads.

These noises typically come on during 2 scenarios:-
1) hot weather - like 30'c typical SG daytime temp
2) at low gears (D1- D3)

At night and/or during cooler weather days like last week when it was raining most mornings, there's hardly any rattle/vibrations. and when i'm driving at higher speeds, ie: gears D4 & above, these noises disappears.

Fellow bros, feel free to chime in if you have experienced such noises.

I drive a 2012 F10 M5, mileage not high less than average. So I'm really puzzled what could be the cause(s) of these strange noise/sounds.

Thanks in advance...& keep safe!

p/s: i am happy to provide more info if it helps..just didnt want to start a long thread that will be pain to read..

No offense but since no one here has sat in your car yet alone seen your car the answers here will pretty much end with a overly obvious " bring it to a workshop and let them check for you" . All the best do update when they've found the issue !

No offense but since no one here has sat in your car yet alone seen your car the answers here will pretty much end with a overly obvious " bring it to a workshop and let them check for you" . All the best do update when they've found the issue !

Agreed....

But I'm hoping to hear form someone with knowledge of such noises heard only during the 2 scenarios mentioned..

I have brought it down to a couple of workshops but since the noise is intermittent, ie: it doesnt rattle or vibrate all the time, they couldn't really diagnose the issue.

That's why I'm here to seek advice, if any at all.

p/s: no offence to you too..but are you implying one can only help if they have seen and/or sat in someone's car??!!!

strange uh..!!

Well yes due to the 10001 components in the car even pinpointing it would serve to give an educated guess. The drivers position does not always perfectly pinpoint the source of noise or rattling hence even sitting in the affected car would help heaps.

I don't find it strange seeing as mechanics who work on these cars also had to sit in it to see if they can find the issue.

Last edited:
Well yes due to the 10001 components in the car even pinpointing it would serve to give an educated guess. The drivers position does not always perfectly pinpoint the source of noise or rattling hence even sitting in the affected car would help heaps.

I don't find it strange seeing as mechanics who work on these cars also had to sit in it to see if they can find the issue.

Hahahaaa….you missed my point totally!!

I didn’t sat on your car so I m making a guess. Knocking sound could be due to the suspension wear out or the undercarriage lower arms issues. To check whether is it the suspension or the lower arm, dismantled the lower arm. Then drive it a slow speed, experienced ws guy will know how to troubleshoot from there, if both got no issues, check the front rotor. One of my buddy got knocking sound too!! turn out to be the M rotor which he changed out not long ago. He didn’t suspect it as is new, went to several ws trail and error, finally got it nail down to the rotor!!

I didn’t sat on your car so I m making a guess. Knocking sound could be due to the suspension wear out or the undercarriage lower arms issues. To check whether is it the suspension or the lower arm, dismantled the lower arm. Then drive it a slow speed, experienced ws guy will know how to troubleshoot from there, if both got no issues, check the front rotor. One of my buddy got knocking sound too!! turn out to be the M rotor which he changed out not long ago. He didn’t suspect it as is new, went to several ws trail and error, finally got it nail down to the rotor!!

Thanks bro…

Really glad to know there are genuine people willing to advice and share their knowledge/experience that makes this forum truly an invaluable source of info for others. Thumbs up to you.

I’ll def look into the arms & suspension .. and rotors.

I have my share of rattling noise from G30 B58.
Upon close inspection, lower caster arm bushing cracked, engine mount up lorry soon, GB mount to change.
Non mechanical part to replace is the oil filter housing.
I hope it will clear up all the noise issue which was typical from my previous F10.
Known to have these when you are into the 4th year.

If I may, does your steering/car shake/judder under hard braking? If so it’s likely your lower control arms. Otherwise should likely be your tension strut aka upper control arm.
Can get mechanic to check the above bushings(rears too).
imo lower gear vibrations is likely due to gearbox/engine mounts.
Hope it gets sorted soon, cheers

Just an update.
Gotten back the car yesterday with those parts replaced.
No more rattling/knocking, vibrations from the steering.
As good as new.

Thanks so much bros …
I’ve checked lower control arm, bushings, mountings etc… everything seems fine. But it still rattles ..sigh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnloh1221
Back