Squeaky brakes

kardtoon

There was some hearty discussion around this issue sometime back.

Did anyone manage to root cause the issue and solve it? PML any good at solving this?

Re: Squeaky brakes

Correct bedding-in procedure of brakes will solve the problem.

That has always been the solution.

For the 1er, this is a known issue from the factory. Was already informed even before signing on the dotted line.

Currently the solution given by PML is to replace the pads with an improved version but unfortunately no news on the ETA yet.

Forrestgum;813196 said:
For the 1er, this is a known issue from the factory. Was already informed even before signing on the dotted line.

Currently the solution given by PML is to replace the pads with an improved version but unfortunately no news on the ETA yet.

Hi Forrestgum, so is this squeaky brakes problem only for 116 model or for 118 as well? Btw, does the PI versions have this problem?
:huhhuh:

Oh.. my 116i also got this squeaky sounds on and off .. if break lightly to a stop, it will appear sometime but if brake harder, then okay... same issue?

marven798;814003 said:
Oh.. my 116i also got this squeaky sounds on and off .. if break lightly to a stop, it will appear sometime but if brake harder, then okay... same issue?

whats your mileage now?

its quite uncommon to have squeaky sound for stock brakes.
i had the sound when I was on BBK on high temp pads. Very obvious in MSCP (enclosed area)

But for new cars?:huhhuh:

Did you check if there Is anything stucked between your brake pads and the disc? sand particles?
just checking...

marven798;814003 said:

me too, same problem.
PML cannot solve it.

razorray;814093 said:
whats your mileage now?

its quite uncommon to have squeaky sound for stock brakes.
i had the sound when I was on BBK on high temp pads. Very obvious in MSCP (enclosed area)

But for new cars?:huhhuh:

Did you check if there Is anything stucked between your brake pads and the disc? sand particles?
just checking...

Yes new car. when i collected the car and went to change my rims, already got the sound.
Nothing stuck between the brake.

kelnalevin;814122 said:
Yes new car. when i collected the car and went to change my rims, already got the sound.
Nothing stuck between the brake.

Same here. When collected new already got e squeaky sound. Now i tend to brake harder to minimize e occurence.. now not too bad, only occasionally it will squeak abit.

Go read this and do as it says. Should solve your squealing brakes once and for all.

Technical White Papers

my mileage is less than 1000km. just got the car 2 weeks back. :) Thanks bro Jinooi for the White Paper.. will try that out.

Jinooi bro is correct.

The squeaky sound from your brakes are due to improper bedding in.

In short, if you don't heat up the brakes sufficiently and use them sufficiently, they will squeak. This is NORMAL in ANY car.

Severity of squeak depends largely on pad material, rotor material, amount n type of anti-squeal goop used on the backing of the pads.

Solution: Bed in your brakes properly. Once this is done, the brakes will stop squealing and will perform better. BUT if you drive in start-stop traffic often without heating up the brakes occasionally, the squeal will return. All you need to do then is to repeat the bedding procedure.

Hope this helps.

Don't bother with PML or any other workshop. You are just wasting your time.

The acknowledgement by BMW of the "fault" (as mentioned by several posters) is more like an acknowledgement that the brake design failed to factor in our city driving patterns.

NB: when I mean heat the brakes and use them sufficiently, I mean occasional hard braking like until everything unsecured in the car flying forward but ABS is not activated.

gohty;817533 said:
Jinooi bro is correct.

The squeaky sound from your brakes are due to improper bedding in.

In short, if you don't heat up the brakes sufficiently and use them sufficiently, they will squeak. This is NORMAL in ANY car.

Severity of squeak depends largely on pad material, rotor material, amount n type of anti-squeal goop used on the backing of the pads.

Solution: Bed in your brakes properly. Once this is done, the brakes will stop squealing and will perform better. BUT if you drive in start-stop traffic often without heating up the brakes occasionally, the squeal will return. All you need to do then is to repeat the bedding procedure.

Hope this helps.

Don't bother with PML or any other workshop. You are just wasting your time.

The acknowledgement by BMW of the "fault" (as mentioned by several posters) is more like an acknowledgement that the brake design failed to factor in our city driving patterns.

NB: when I mean heat the brakes and use them sufficiently, I mean occasional hard braking like until everything unsecured in the car flying forward but ABS is not activated.

While, this can be true, why is it that it is so prevalent on the 1 series? I'm not new to cars and driving habits don't change drastically. It's not on my previous Lexus. It's not on my current 523i. Just on my 116i. Isn't it possible that there is a design issue or part quality issue with 1 series?

Let me go check on the 5 series owners forum and see if anyone complains about the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmwinlove
Back