Simple IPOD Questions

meister

Hi all,

Am driving a FEB 2006 320i, my glove box (under arm rest) only has a single connector hole for Aux plug in.. in this case can i still use ipod?

I understand that i would need to purchase a cable, my questions:
1)Where can i get the cable (online or PML or shops)
2)Using the cable, can i control by other modes besides the IPOD itself?
3)Is it the same cable if i choose to buy other mp3 players? eg: creative zenplayers
4)Can charge player while using it in car?
5)Other comments ?

bros out there with the answers please advise, as I could not find all the answrs in the past thread.:confused:

thanks

Re: Simple IPOD Questions

meister;499218 said:
Hi all,

Am driving a FEB 2006 320i, my glove box (under arm rest) only has a single connector hole for Aux plug in.. in this case can i still use ipod?

I understand that i would need to purchase a cable, my questions:
1)Where can i get the cable (online or PML or shops)
2)Using the cable, can i control by other modes besides the IPOD itself?
3)Is it the same cable if i choose to buy other mp3 players? eg: creative zenplayers
4)Can charge player while using it in car?
5)Other comments ?

bros out there with the answers please advise, as I could not find all the answrs in the past thread.:confused:

thanks

Assuming you have an E90:

With just an AUX input, you can still use the iPod by plugging the iPod earphone output directly into the AUX input of the car via a male-male RCA cable, but you can't control it via the steering wheel or head unit.

To control the iPod from the car, you need to have the USB audio option (6FL), which provides a USB female connector beside the AUX input. When connected via the USB cable, the output from the iPod comes from the dock connector (the cable splits the dock connector output into an RCA male connector to be plugged into the AUX input, and a male USB connector to be plugged into the USB Audio connector in the car.

You can retrofit the USB/Audio option, but I've heard it's quite ex from PML. Here's the PDF of the installation instructions that I happened to come across:

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - View Single Post - 6FL Retrofit Option

1) PML parts sells the USB Audio cable for about S$170, from memory. For the RCA male-male cable, you can find it commonly for a few bucks.

2) Using just the RCA cable, no. Using the USB Audio cable, yes, you can control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel.

3) For the USB cable, no (obviously). For the RCA cable, yes, since it is just an analog connection

4) Using the RCA cable, no. With the USB Audio option, yes.

5) Looks like what you want is the USB Audio option for a more integrated connection to your iPod. You can also find 3rd party alternatives for iPod/iPhone connectivity (just google for for it), like but I have no personal experience with any of them.

Hope this helps.

kngsct2003;499236 said:

With just an AUX input, you can still use the iPod by plugging the iPod earphone output directly into the AUX input of the car via a male-male RCA cable, but you can't control it via the steering wheel or head unit.

To control the iPod from the car, you need to have the USB audio option (6FL), which provides a USB female connector beside the AUX input. When connected via the USB cable, the output from the iPod comes from the dock connector (the cable splits the dock connector output into an RCA male connector to be plugged into the AUX input, and a male USB connector to be plugged into the USB Audio connector in the car.

You can retrofit the USB/Audio option, but I've heard it's quite ex from PML. Here's the PDF of the installation instructions that I happened to come across:

1) PML parts sells the USB Audio cable for about S$170, from memory. For the RCA male-male cable, you can find it commonly for a few bucks.

2) Using just the RCA cable, no. Using the USB Audio cable, yes, you can control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel.

3) For the USB cable, no (obviously). For the RCA cable, yes, since it is just an analog connection

5) Looks like what you want is the USB Audio option for a more integrated connection to your iPod. You can also find 3rd party alternatives for iPod/iPhone connectivity (just google for for it), like but I have no personal experience with any of them.

Hope this helps.

Excellent answer kngsct. Has anyone done this at PML and how much? Anyone else who can do it other than PML?

I tried asking my SA to install this for me but he mentioned that this option was only for LCI models. But I thought all LCI models come with the USB/Audio interface...confused.

I did the 6FL in PML. Mine is a 2006 PFL E90.

Cost me about 900 bucks. Be prepared for 1 day downtime.

Hi,

Driving a 2006 E90 and have CD charger in the trunk. Have intension to install the IPOD kit so that can use the steering wheel controlling the IPOD...

Understand programming/coding need after installing the IPOD kit (hardware) for car without CD changer...

Have two questions,
1) Are IPOD Touch and iPhone supported?
2) Does car with existing CD changer need programming/coding after installing the IPOD kit (hardware)? Understand CD changer will be disable after the retrofitting...

Cheers

Hi guys,

I'm driving a Feb 2005 E60.

Have just placed my order for the ipod retrofit kit at pml last week.

Was told that shipment will take 3-4 weeks.

And it will take another 1.5 day to install and upload software for the iDrive.

1.5 day seems awfully long for a seemingly simple job like this.

Have anyone had experience?

I heard a 3rd party workshop could do it cheaper and in 1 hour.

When asked about the software upload, I was told that the retrofit kit is plug and play.

Hope the bros here could share your experience.

Thanks.

anything from pml is 1 day (min) , 2 days (standard) and 3 days (they wish)

i sent my car in to put friction tape to 4 doors. they said this is quite a BIG job, 4 doors leh, need almost 1 day ... maybe can collect at 6pm (try but no promise)
send in 8am, 11am call me ... your car is ready and can collect anytime

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what another friend feedback.

Customary for them to tell you 1.5 days.

I wonder if their management is aware of that?

Hope it's not their policy show how inefficiency or they don't know their job well enough to make accurrate assessment

Finally got my ipod adapter installed.

And yes... they really lived up to the promise of 1.5 days.... sigh...

But realised that i does not display Chinese characters!

And there's a limitation to the list displayed on the playlist.

For example, my playlist by artiste stops at "R:", (using a 160GB iPod)

Appreciate if some of the bros here care to share if there's a solution round the 2 problems?

yes, from wat i read, no chinese words

limitation up to 500 songs or so nia

Jamez;499236 said:

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bro, can I check with you after I install IPod cable with my E46 318, the sound is unstable.
the front (left) speaker only work on the first few min, after that , no sound.

any advice?

Thanks.
Jet

Hi Pple,

Any one tried the DICE mediabridge? I would like to try it out but if any one has tried please give some comments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back