Re: Sign up for BMWSG Sepang Track Day 4 Feb 2012

jem, can come. additionally, we have 3 more slots, which munich has to give up. Any takers, pls let me know.

I may have a VAG newbie friend interested in joining if there is space, but I can only confirm tomorrow.

Chris apologizes for the late update that he too is unable to make this trackday. If it's not possible to piggybank him because of under subscription, please let me know, thanks.

totoseow;742345 said:
can i gate crash?

you come, i polish your brake calipers after track session..

Might not be able to make it due to some personal reason.
Anyone like to take over, do let me know.
Thks

Can you please post the full link to the indemnity form? The link on the first page of this thread isn't working for me!

Also, can someone tell me where I can buy a tire pressure gauge (one with a longer hose)? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

taaxed;745354 said:
Also, can someone tell me where I can buy a tire pressure gauge (one with a longer hose)? thanks!

I use a Longacre one, got it at Garage R

Great weather, no incidents, another super trackday :D Thanks Shawn.

1M is a cool little car... ~38 stock assuming it comes with mich super sports? Not sure.

570 SL on Corsas, stock everything, cast iron rotors. Ryan "Glorypig" Chua driving first trackday with this car.
1st lap 2:30.5 (traffic)
2nd lap 2:30.5 (traffic)
3rd lap 2:28.6 (traffic)
4th lap 2:27.3 (clear)
5th lap 2:27.0 (traffic)
No more laps because of severe brake overheat (pads followed by fluid).

Especially on any big power full weight roadcar..no ducts = fuct
as the REP mentioned at least 3 time across 2 weeks prior to the trackday and to 12 other drivers of similar cars before that. In sports road cars, biggest difference is always ducts above and beyond pads, lines, fluid. Much more on this later.

Familiarization is far from complete and with line changes and brakes sorted, mid 25s for sure. The newer lambos are really powerful and smooth vs the older ones; and current 550 SE, 570 SL, in a straight line nearly identical acceleration to SV, and despite differences in multiple areas, net nearly identical overall performance (Gallardos, not SV). Lots of understeer built into the -4 versions, new and old.

New Aventador has gone 2:24 stock, not sure about driver, will be nice to get some data on it soon.

Road car progress going real quick in recent years. For reference, F1 driver in 430 Scuderia on semis 2:28.6 running very wide off T5, but corrected for that somewhere around 2:28.0. F458 on similar tires (semi) should do ~26.

Excellent trackday indeed. Thanks Shawn!

Thanks Shawn for all the organization! Much appreciated.

I had a great first experience there! I'll definitely go again next time, thanks a lot for organising! Also thanks to Alvin and the rest of his group for bringing me up there with them! And also for showing me the 8rm car wash in JB - was quite impressed with that haha

Excellent day for topless tracking and good to see several cars doing that :cool:

Thanks Shawn for organizing, Gerald for testing and Shaun for the drivers program :D

Elite;746389 said:
Excellent day for topless tracking and good to see several cars doing that :cool:

Thanks Shawn for organizing, Gerald for testing and Shaun for support :D

Power, didnt know you are in Topless in your M5.....................

cheers

ac323;746401 said:
Power, didnt know you are in Topless in your M5.....................

cheers

Lol ... Took the other car -- now there's a legit reason to go tracking topless -- lower CG, better weight distribution :D

Elite;746424 said:
Lol ... Took the other car -- now there's a legit reason to go tracking topless -- lower CG, better weight distribution :D

cool, Roofless Rocks.............

cheers

taaxed;746330 said:
I had a great first experience there! I'll definitely go again next time, thanks a lot for organising! Also thanks to Alvin and the rest of his group for bringing me up there with them! And also for showing me the 8rm car wash in JB - was quite impressed with that haha

I also want to say thanks to Gerald for showing me around the track for the first few laps! I'm definitely addicted to Sepang already!

Elite;746424 said:

hahah yah.. just remember who taught you that.
The additional drag at a big track like SIC may be enough to offset those advantages though. Also more apparent with hard top convertibles vs softs.

Thing is.. Lap to lap the 105-180 window was can be 13.8 up vs 13.8 down, or as far apart as 13.6 down vs 14.0 up. So actually faster in a straight line with top down. Possibilities:

1) There's lots of flow separation with the top up, to the point where dropping the top doesn't increase drag. This is highly unlikely and can be coastdown tested.
2) Dropping the top actually reduces drag. Even less likely and coastdown results can tell.
3) Variance from other factors; mainly water, oil, air temperatures and the ECU compensations for it affect power so there's no trend in up vs down because a proper test (ABAB) same stint, strict process, was not conducted.

Separately, top down is less safe in a rollover though... arms can get thrown outside of car unless you wear arm restraints. Upper body too. Hardtops probably are able to support a meaningful amount of load.

Great track day as always, thanks for organising Shawn!

Many thanks to Shaun too for doing a test lap in my car. First time ever driving an STI, first time ever driving my car, and you beat my personal best time :oops:

BTW what's the horsepower on the stock 1M? It was pulling away from me on the straights... I think I need to get my car dynoed again, heh...

Back