Sign-up for BMWSG Sepang Track Day 26 Oct 2012

Re: Sign-up for BMWSG Sepang Track Day 26 Oct 2012

i saw some +50bhp on each side above the dual tips
serious cheat...

Racebred;915002 said:
Also, if we could be a little less aggressive with following too closely with the other cars, it would be better. Ours is a friendly friendly track day.

Shawn, I apologise about that if you're referring to me. In my video, I had overtaken the DC5 on the back straight, but the driver was determined to hold the inside line and out-brake me into T15. I was not sure if the DC5 could stick to a tighter inside line at its speed given that it was braking later than usual, so I slowed down and delayed my turn-in into the corner until the DC5 had completed its turn-in and track-out. I just happened to get a better drive out of the corner so I overtook the DC5 again on the main straight. I hope that would not be considered being too aggressive. To be frank, Ken also had an encounter while trying to overtake the same DC5, I believe.

Personally, I think overtaking on track days is inevitable, whether it is overtaking cars on their slower out or in laps, or just a slower car being overtaken by a faster car. Hopefully we can continue to keep it safe and non-aggressive, as you said. Will continue to keep that in mind in future track days.

Overall good track day. Have learn an important lesson, lesser speed not necessary translate to a slower track time :) Thanks to the organizers.

i had fun watching other drivers chicks. great track day when others bring their chicks!

Gerald81;915066 said:
Shawn, I apologise about that if you're referring to me. In my video, I had overtaken the DC5 on the back straight, but the driver was determined to hold the inside line and out-brake me into T15. I was not sure if the DC5 could stick to a tighter inside line at its speed given that it was braking later than usual, so I slowed down and delayed my turn-in into the corner until the DC5 had completed its turn-in and track-out. I just happened to get a better drive out of the corner so I overtook the DC5 again on the main straight. I hope that would not be considered being too aggressive. To be frank, Ken also had an encounter while trying to overtake the same DC5, I believe.

Personally, I think overtaking on track days is inevitable, whether it is overtaking cars on their slower out or in laps, or just a slower car being overtaken by a faster car. Hopefully we can continue to keep it safe and non-aggressive, as you said. Will continue to keep that in mind in future track days.

Yes some black Lambo also v aggressive, bullied me in a car that is 300kg heavier.

TripleM;915561 said:
Yes some black Lambo also v aggressive, bullied me in a car that is 300kg heavier.

lampa jack i was there giving taxi rides....if i had known it was u....i wud hv sprayed water at u

no lah gerald, not talking about you.. havent seen the vid yet heh..
just in general....

well if you know the guy in front and he's your friend and you wanna have a go at him its generall okay, because both of you are aware. But there are many other people who dont know one another in this track day and it will be perceived as aggressive.

I specifically mentioned this in the safety brief that almost no one bothered to turn up for, to give each other room.

However, for those who would like to do something more adventurous, we could always have a 5 lap race with everyone's agreement.

Racebred;915608 said:
no lah gerald, not talking about you.. havent seen the vid yet heh..
just in general....

well if you know the guy in front and he's your friend and you wanna have a go at him its generall okay, because both of you are aware. But there are many other people who dont know one another in this track day and it will be perceived as aggressive.

I specifically mentioned this in the safety brief that almost no one bothered to turn up for, to give each other room.

However, for those who would like to do something more adventurous, we could always have a 5 lap race with everyone's agreement.

I went for your safety briefing but not paying attention.

Gerald81;914664 said:
[video=youtube;puKXLfRZrjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKXLfRZrjU[/video]

On a personal note, I finally managed to mitigate my overheating problems encountered during the last couple of trackdays (coolant temperature above 105C after 1 hot lap). This time I used straight distilled water mixed with a bottle of water wetter, instead of the usual pre-mixed coolant with anti-freeze. Now my coolant temperature holds steady between 101C to 103C after 2-3 hot laps.

I've also learned that straight distilled water is also safer in the event of leakage on track as it's less slippery than pre-mixed coolant. Would recommend this to trackies with marginal overheating problems on track. But I've also been told that while water wetter does contain some corrosion inhibitors, it may not offer the same level of protection that pre-mixed coolant does, and it is advisable to flush the system once or twice a year.

Thanks for always sharing all your solid info and experience, as well as the well edited in car videos with the trackers here. Good stuff mate!

If I could make one suggestion it would be to shuffle the steering wheel a lot less, or at least only when truly required which also would result in bigger steps and not multiple small ones. We will sort out all that and more soon :D

Gerald81;914664 said:
Thanks Shawn, it was an awesome session, I do not recall there being even a single red flag period.

Some edited footage of my hot laps, including an encounter with a feisty blue DC5 at around the 5:20 mark:

[video=youtube;puKXLfRZrjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKXLfRZrjU[/video]

On a personal note, I finally managed to mitigate my overheating problems encountered during the last couple of trackdays (coolant temperature above 105C after 1 hot lap). This time I used straight distilled water mixed with a bottle of water wetter, instead of the usual pre-mixed coolant with anti-freeze. Now my coolant temperature holds steady between 101C to 103C after 2-3 hot laps.

I've also learned that straight distilled water is also safer in the event of leakage on track as it's less slippery than pre-mixed coolant. Would recommend this to trackies with marginal overheating problems on track. But I've also been told that while water wetter does contain some corrosion inhibitors, it may not offer the same level of protection that pre-mixed coolant does, and it is advisable to flush the system once or twice a year.

Hey,

I agree with Shaun about not shuffling as much and to keep your hands on a 3-9 oclock position. Here is a lap in my STi back in 2004. The specs are listed in the video.

[video=youtube;fR3h-9q8S2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3h-9q8S2c&feature=results_video[/video]

Shaun;915986 said:
Thanks for always sharing all your solid info and experience, as well as the well edited in car videos with the trackers here. Good stuff mate!

If I could make one suggestion it would be to shuffle the steering wheel a lot less, or at least only when truly required which also would result in bigger steps and not multiple small ones. We will sort out all that and more soon :D

UK_STi;916090 said:
Hey,

I agree with Shaun about not shuffling as much and to keep your hands on a 3-9 oclock position. Here is a lap in my STi back in 2004. The specs are listed in the video.

Shaun and Gerald, thanks for the tips. Yeah it is something I tend to do naturally as it's so tempting after downshifting before a right hander to return my left hand to the wheel in anticipation of steering. I don't really think about it or notice it while driving, but when watching the video it becomes pretty obvious huh. Will try to keep that in mind in future.

Gerald, really nice driving there in your old STi - I'm pretty sure you could do a 2:35 in my car (VF42 @ 1.3 bar, FZ 201), easily!

Gerald81;916195 said:
Shaun and Gerald, thanks for the tips. Yeah it is something I tend to do naturally as it's so tempting after downshifting before a right hander to return my left hand to the wheel in anticipation of steering. I don't really think about it or notice it while driving, but when watching the video it becomes pretty obvious huh. Will try to keep that in mind in future.

Gerald, really nice driving there in your old STi - I'm pretty sure you could do a 2:35 in my car (VF42 @ 1.3 bar, FZ 201), easily!

Haha that was many years ago already. I spotted lots of mistakes and bad habits haha. Anyways I can always do a lap in your car at the next trackday. Just a visual observation, your car seems to be too high and also lacking in front camber. Should lower it for better CG. But this is just a casual comment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmwinlove
Back