Should I go to Performance Motors for engine oil change OR ?

Subra

Hi
My car (520i) is now after 5 year service contract. Due for engine oil change. My question is, should I go to Performance Motors (or) to other service providers. Appreciate your response.

Depends if you know what's going on with your car or not.

Personally my oil change is under $100.

Go here:

Choose Castrol 5W40, buy the extra oil required for your engine capacity @ $12/L additional
Buy 1 x oil filter from engsoon @ $10

Done. Whilst there get them to rotate the tyres for you.

P.s. watch them carefully, whole process is under 45mins so hang around and watch them.

I don't rec doing anything else other then oil changes there tho.

More Pro service can be had at

Them I trust to do most everything and not charge me an arm n leg for it.

Sorry to hijack thread, just wanna check with fellow BMW drivers here, is it common that you guys need to top up EO maybe once every 2 months or so as well? Read and heard from many mechs that BMW is famous for 'eating' EO, but it could be a sign of smth wrong with the engine too. Any advice? Driving a renewed E92 320i.

Sorry to hijack thread, just wanna check with fellow BMW drivers here, is it common that you guys need to top up EO maybe once every 2 months or so as well? Read and heard from many mechs that BMW is famous for 'eating' EO, but it could be a sign of smth wrong with the engine too. Any advice? Driving a renewed E92 320i.

For my E60 case, the EO case was 1 litre every 2 months, then 1 month, then 2 weeks. Obvious sign is White smoke at exhaust at start of day when ramming on Neutral.

Changed engine gasket, change top housing etc all didnt solve.

In the end, culprit was worn valve seals.

Eng Soon spare parts ard S$30+, changed at Revol. Didn't bother to go PML because they only recommend overhaul...

For my E60 case, the EO case was 1 litre every 2 months, then 1 month, then 2 weeks. Obvious sign is White smoke at exhaust at start of day when ramming on Neutral.

Changed engine gasket, change top housing etc all didnt solve.

In the end, culprit was worn valve seals.

Eng Soon spare parts ard S$30+, changed at Revol. Didn't bother to go PML because they only recommend overhaul...
Able to share what was the workmanship fee for changing the gasket, etc?

Able to share what was the workmanship fee for changing the gasket, etc?
ha, it was quite long ago, so cannot really remember the labour cost, should not exceed more than $50 for the valve seal and $200+ for the cylinder head cover (which includes the gasket). Cannot really recall, so better to call up and ask around.
"If change the Cylinder head Cover with the gasket roughly how much ah?...."

However still have the almost 10 years ago part prices record...lol lol
Actually still have a lot of other minor small parts here and there but I just couldnt remember what they changed

199 440elring 1134 0 029 751 VALVE SEAL KIT
1​
SET
30.00​
30.00​
11112 8 645 888BMW CYLINDER HEAD COVER (C-01)
1​
PC
420.00​
420.00​

ha, it was quite long ago, so cannot really remember the labour cost, should not exceed more than $50 for the valve seal and $200+ for the cylinder head cover (which includes the gasket). Cannot really recall, so better to call up and ask around.
"If change the Cylinder head Cover with the gasket roughly how much ah?...."

However still have the almost 10 years ago part prices record...lol lol
Actually still have a lot of other minor small parts here and there but I just couldnt remember what they changed

199 440elring 1134 0 029 751 VALVE SEAL KIT
1​
SET
30.00​
30.00​
11112 8 645 888BMW CYLINDER HEAD COVER (C-01)
1​
PC
420.00​
420.00​
Ohh that's pretty manageable, I've heard of cases needing to change piston rings and the workmanship for that is crazy.

I did the major job in Malaysia, valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, oil cooler gasket, transmission flush, rear diff fluid change, engine oil service. 800rm all parts I buy myself

I did the major job in Malaysia, valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, oil cooler gasket, transmission flush, rear diff fluid change, engine oil service. 800rm all parts I buy myself
able to share which workshop? And did you send your car to the workshop first to know what needs to be changed before getting the parts yourself?

able to share which workshop? And did you send your car to the workshop first to know what needs to be changed before getting the parts yourself?
There are many good workshops in Malaysia (for us would be JB) and because of exchange rates, their price will be reasonable.
If don't have trusted ws, Go for those that are public listed coys, or their authorised distributors (yes, they do service SG cars)

I myself went to a local ws that is lok-lok type because the owner is a classmate of my good friend. He happened to work for some atas workshop in SG specializing in euro makes before going back to JB to take over his dad's ws. Managed to solve several of my E60 issues that PML and site sponsor couldn't even diagnose.
(I wouldn't recommend him tho cuz many singaporeans, esp those driving premium makes, will baulk at seeing such local ws... oily floor, dirty clothes etc lol lol)

Wifey cousin also have WS in Bukit Indah and majority of his customers are SG premium cars but he charges quite a premium (becuz of the fact that we are SGD) until it is just slightly cheaper than SG local prices. He also don't accept u bring your own parts, so I avoided his ws

Maybe RSSID can recommend some decent ws for your consideration?

There are many good workshops in Malaysia (for us would be JB) and because of exchange rates, their price will be reasonable.
If don't have trusted ws, Go for those that are public listed coys, or their authorised distributors (yes, they do service SG cars)

I myself went to a local ws that is lok-lok type because the owner is a classmate of my good friend. He happened to work for some atas workshop in SG specializing in euro makes before going back to JB to take over his dad's ws. Managed to solve several of my E60 issues that PML and site sponsor couldn't even diagnose.
(I wouldn't recommend him tho cuz many singaporeans, esp those driving premium makes, will baulk at seeing such local ws... oily floor, dirty clothes etc lol lol)

Wifey cousin also have WS in Bukit Indah and majority of his customers are SG premium cars but he charges quite a premium (becuz of the fact that we are SGD) until it is just slightly cheaper than SG local prices. He also don't accept u bring your own parts, so I avoided his ws

Maybe RSSID can recommend some decent ws for your consideration?
Thanks, will you be able to share the lok-lok workshop and where you get your parts from?

Back