Should I get an e46?

jedithy

Going to Aussie soon for a year and looking at my budget can prob get a 2002/3 e46 318/320. Question is if the e46 is worth buying?

Any ex owners of this model care to share some insights and known issues that existed during their time of ownership. E.g e90 suffers from oil leak.

I speaking of the whole e46 on the whole and I know each car is different n some r lemons. But will appreciate if ex owners can share their experiences. Also, for getting such a car with age what should I check for? any usual suspect?

Re: Should I get an e46?

e46 suffers all kinds of problems as with other BMWs. No difference. It depends on luck, as anything can break down on any old BMW anytime (even new ones).

But if you are in Australia, where the cars are much cheaper than here (including repair and maintenance), and where you can keep the car for a longer time than here, then I will say go for it. But be prepare to spend time, effort and $$ to maintain it.

Previous car was E46. Loved it. Yes, there are some typical problems with E46 - eg aircon compressor tend to break/leak, electronic windows problem (weak plastic part inside) and radiator spare tank (plastic) should be changed after few years to avoid it suddenly breaks. Except from those, not a bad car and no hassitation to recommend.

I am about to export my very low mileage E46 325 CiA. Oil leak seems common but will cost only a few hundred to resolve. Roof lining may detached, a few hundred to replace. The fur-like rubber trim (for coupe) around the door may detach, get the right adhesive (Permatex) to permanent solution (I have to get from US). Other than that car has served us very reliably - no engine, transmission, nor electronic gremlins as it is fair low tech compared to the series after it.

Maybe you want to export my car to Aussieland! I hope someone will continue to enjoy driving it.

Get the E46 M3 and in manual transmission. Won't regret it.

E46 is a good choice if you ain't fussy about having the latest gadget. I've got a 318 then switched to a 330. I'd recommend at least the 320 cos it's the start of the 6 cylinder awesomeness. Both my cars had to redo the cooling system when I got them cos it's the usual wear and tear... I'd recommend checking out Ecs tuning for their refresh kit. Other than that the car is a charm. Low maintenance and nippy ride!

SMiRKdeGecko;1103973 said:
E46 is a good choice if you ain't fussy about having the latest gadget. I've got a 318 then switched to a 330. I'd recommend at least the 320 cos it's the start of the 6 cylinder awesomeness. Both my cars had to redo the cooling system when I got them cos it's the usual wear and tear... I'd recommend checking out Ecs tuning for their refresh kit. Other than that the car is a charm. Low maintenance and nippy ride!

The BMW business radio can be replaced with an Avin Avant 2 or Dynavin N6 to upgrade the car's entertainment system. But if he's gonna keep the car for only a year then it's probably not worth it.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-avant2-full-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html
Dynavin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back