Review on Monster Custom Map Tuning Box - 118i

sunstorm

Hi guys,

thought I'd gradually blog some of the thoughts down before I forget the milestone moments:wavey:

I put on the box on Saturday 18/08/2012 after agreeing to be a guinea pig for the Monster Custom Map Tuning Box. As commented in another thread, I requested for a "Faster than Sonata Cab from Traffic lights" tune.

ie I want to be able to pull away quickly if needed from 0-60km/h and mainly concentrate on low end torque. I wanted daily usable torque as this is fairly important to me and generic even power up on the mid to high bands up to 4000rpm for the moments I'm on the NSHW and just want to burn some rubber up.

Initial impressions on the stock 118i which I'm driving are:
1. Nice smooth linear acceleration
2. Hugely unemotional drive - there was seldom a feeling of excitement. The engine does what it does very well and propels you up to speed quickly but it lacks that pulling feeling I so enjoyed in my last ride.
3. Not very evident turbo lag

Day 1:1345hrs
Installation was completed and I was pleased with the result. The Monster guys found a very discrete corner in the engine bay to mount the box and the connectors were neatly tucked.

Upon driving it out for the first time from the workshop, my butt felt noticeable increase in torque. The increase was not rapture filled unfortunately but more of a gentle pulling evident from move off in idle. Throttle response appears to have improved although I did not put in a Throttle Controller. (Btw, if anybody is interested, i have a brand new Pivot3 to let go!)

The drive home was smooth with no experience of any jerkiness and there was definitely definitely an increase in power on all the rpm ranges. I became more light footed as I wanted to drive the same way to see if I can hit some savings in FC. Overall, the car became a slightly more aggressive ride and the low end torque definitely was greatly improved.

Day 2: Sunday
Plan: Take a drive up the NSHW to try out the tuning box :sneaky:

Lo and behold the difference a night makes! The characteristics of the car from cold start changed overnight. When I switched on the engine in the afternoon, the engine was growling slightly louder than usual and there is a sense of great eagerness to rev. A slight drawback I noticed from tuned cars appeared in the 118i. A slight very low vibration. A sign that the tune has started to adapt.

I took off towards Tuas and I must say, 0-60km/h was nice! No real opportunities for me to try with a Sonata cab presented itself but safe to say, I'm confident of at least giving them a hard time from 0-60km/h. Boost was obviously higher on all ranges and I struggled to keep to 80km/h along the most painful stretch of the way on the AYE towards Tuas Checkpoint. (don play play ah, I pay more than $450 there already!)

Once past the Causeway and first toll gates into the NSHW, I WOT the ride easily to 220km/h, testing the various power bands. I did find some flat spots but the overall experience was highly satisfying.

1. The ride remained very linear in terms of acceleration after the low end power band (My request)
2. It is FUN to WOT the car now!!!! Yay!!!!
3. The increase in boost from the low end very effectively removed any small trace of turbo lag I detected

What Next?

I will dyno the ride with Monster to find the flat spots I felt while driving up the NSHW and cure those via their custom map

Stay tuned for more updates when I have more to share!

Re: Review on Monster Custom Map Tuning Box - 118i

3 weeks later ... I thought I would have had time to give a blow by blow account of the tuning and remapping process. However, work, family and other priorities intruded into real life and alas does not afford me the time or energy to blog the whole process. I did however spend a substantial period of time dedicated to giving feedback to the Monster Team after every new map which now numbers 3 officially.

8/9/2012 - 3rd Trial Map

This new incarnation gave birth to what I feel gives Monster Tune their moniker.

This map was truly a monster and the moment I started up my engine and drove out of the workshop towards the dyno, I knew that this map was going to be a winner.

There was in this forum talk about how 350nm torque will result in the 1-er going into limp mode or that the gearbox tolerance of the 1-er was only at 300nm and therefore many tuning boxes claim only improvement on torque of up to 300nm.

Today, I will let data tell the story: No CEL or errors appeared after i took a long drive from my home in Tanglin Halt to Jurong Point, Woodlands, Johore and then Mustafa before going home after supper ;) The car was pushed hard and I'm satisfied.

My Dyno chart
View attachment 41165

My Monster Tuned Ride vs Stock 118i
View attachment 41166

Notice that the flat spot on Torque being smoothed over? That to me is the greatest achievement as it gives me added torque at the usable range and gives good linear acceleration.

I hope this was helpful to some of the bros/Sis considering which box to throw onto their ride to bring more fun and pleasure. I'll be sure to update this post should I have more updates :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:

Woohoo, come on Fri n give me a taxi ride! POISON ME IF YOU CAN!!!

Good stuff bro! Since it's a tuning box i assume it can be removed without a trace?

zhenlie;876672 said:
yeah nice writeup...so whats a fkat spot?
I guess the acceleration is not linear throughout, correct me if I'm wrong?

feynman82;876674 said:
Good stuff bro! Since it's a tuning box i assume it can be removed without a trace?
Yes, a tuning box is the same as a piggyback.

leslie11;876661 said:
Woohoo, come on Fri n give me a taxi ride! POISON ME IF YOU CAN!!!

Haha! $4.99 around Penjuru! Lai Lai!

leslie11;876686 said:
I guess the acceleration is not linear throughout, correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, a tuning box is the same as a piggyback.

Bro Leslie old bird, got both the answers already. Just a word of caution though. If data from ECU is read, the piggy can technically be discovered although physically it can bring removed without a trace.

Cheers

Excellent! Glad you like what you''ve installed.

Beast and Monster should have oem their boxes from speed buster ( from the look of the housing). If that is true, the torque curve does indeed taper off from 4,000rpm onwards. This is more of a function of the smaller turbo turbines employed by BMW to aid real-world driving conditions, rather than high-rpm, big power turbo boost like in some Japanese 2 litre engines. As such, there's not much that a custom tune can do to get rid of the perceived lower power or flat spot at that RPM range and of course it might not be that effortless once you start climbing from 160km/h onwards.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Forrestgum;876766 said:

Beast and Monster should have oem their boxes from speed buster ( from the look of the housing). If that is true, the torque curve does indeed taper off from 4,000rpm onwards. This is more of a function of the smaller turbo turbines employed by BMW to aid real-world driving conditions, rather than high-rpm, big power turbo boost like in some Japanese 2 litre engines. As such, there's not much that a custom tune can do to get rid of the perceived lower power or flat spot at that RPM range and of course it might not be that effortless once you start climbing from 160km/h onwards.

Hey Forrestgum!

I tested the range and rpm. At about 160km/h stable, rpm is about 2.75 so plenty of room. It's the 210km/h onwards which suffers. Agree that not much can be done for the super high end due to limitations of the box itself.

That's why I'm currently contemplating something else right now. Since piggy also void warranty if ECU data check is made... hehehe

Cheers

sunstorm;876746 said:
Haha! $4.99 around Penjuru! Lai Lai!
Your car FC only need $2 at most, don't try to earn my $2.99!

sunstorm;876749 said:
Bro Leslie old bird, got both the answers already.
bro I'm a noob lah, my car only came in a few weeks ago, most things are still stock!

sunstorm;876836 said:
Hey Forrestgum!

I tested the range and rpm. At about 160km/h stable, rpm is about 2.75 so plenty of room. It's the 210km/h onwards which suffers. Agree that not much can be done for the super high end due to limitations of the box itself.

That's why I'm currently contemplating something else right now. Since piggy also void warranty if ECU data check is made... hehehe

Cheers
Remember this is a 1.6l with a small turbo after all, that is the biggest limitation. Piggyback is the next limitation. If it were me, I'll tune it for everyday driving, ie beat Sonata cab. The occasional WOT on the NSH is secondary unfortunately. Either way the power is still more than stock.

You're considering bench tune?

Forrestgum;876766 said:

Hmmm.. Im quietly confident the monster tune guys can work on the flat spot from 4k onwards. But you're right, typically the boost map tends to taper off after 4k for smaller turbo cars. Its probably written into the stock ecu boost map. The tuning box can compensate for this but to what end - we will only know after road testing and dynoing. Test on both closed and open loop throttle signals. Bro Sunstorm, please lead the way to the promised land.. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Singsider;876928 said:
Bro Sunstorm, please lead the way to the promised land.. :)
:dramamam:
Wah so drama but I ditto it!

sunstorm;876647 said:
Hi guys,

What Next?

I will dyno the ride with Monster to find the flat spots I felt while driving up the NSHW and cure those via their custom map

Stay tuned for more updates when I have more to share!
Do share what is the BHP/Nm gained, would be interesting to see, with a piggy bag.

I do know an ECU remap that can bring about >18BHP and >24Nm gains with max output coming in much earlier while power/torque will only be tapered off at ~1000-1500rpm before the redline, as safety to internal parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

leslie11;876952 said:
:dramamam:
Wah so drama but I ditto it!

hehehehe, the promised land I have in mind has been guessed at by Leslie liao. Seriously thinking about it. Now slightly regret buying 118i since I found out that 116i is exactly the same except for 2 pieces of body kit and rims.

If you ask me, nothing to regret abt. You bought the 118 n you'll sell at the 118 price later on. Only regret if you sell at much lower price. Buy high sell high, buy low sell low.

Baby1M;876990 said:
Do share what is the BHP/Nm gained, would be interesting to see, with a piggy bag.

I do know an ECU remap that can bring about >18BHP and >24Nm gains with max output coming in much earlier while power/torque will only be tapered off at ~1000-1500rpm before the redline, as safety to internal parts.

SKN perhaps? I hear that's a bench tune. Good stuff, but not exactly warranty friendly.. Did consider it at one point but i think I'll explore that again when the warranty expires, or if its a stealthy obd tune. :)

Singsider;877044 said:
SKN perhaps? I hear that's a bench tune. Good stuff, but not exactly warranty friendly.. Did consider it at one point but i think I'll explore that again when the warranty expires, or if its a stealthy obd tune. :)
Nope not SKN. It is not detectable unless BMW looks specifically into the Performance map. Anyway, all remap or piggy bag or full ECU replacement voids warranty once it is found.

Baby1M;877045 said:
Nope not SKN. It is not detectable unless BMW looks specifically into the Performance map. Anyway, all remap or piggy bag or full ECU replacement voids warranty once it is found.

Interesting! Mind sharing your lobang bro? :) can pm if not convenient to share.

sunstorm;876991 said:
hehehehe, the promised land I have in mind has been guessed at by Leslie liao. Seriously thinking about it. Now slightly regret buying 118i since I found out that 116i is exactly the same except for 2 pieces of body kit and rims.

and the leather seats.. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bet78art
Back