Rejuvenating my E93/325i

steppy

Hi folks - been around for a while here and this forum. Learnt a lot and this place has been a great resource for me. I guess now it’s for me to contribute back since I have just completed a 'successful' DIY project recently.

First some backgrounder - Given the soaring COE prices, have decided to spend a bit $$ on the ride to spruce it up as it just doesn’t make sense to buy a car now. Ride has just turned 3 years old but is lightly used at only 25k km mileage.

Realised that the car has become sluggish and more thirsty. At first, I thought it could be due to our frequent (almost 99% city) driving pattern. But it was not getting any better. Visited several workshops (including AD) and there was no fault code shown.

Armed with the emission report that VICOM passed to me during the inspection , I realised that the car was running a little rich, compared to my another ride, which is of the same capacity but with direct fuel injection.

I researched on the internet went out to buy the following components:-

a) Hot film Mass Air Flow Sensor x1 (P/N 13 62 7 551 638)
b) Ignition coils x 6 (P/N 12 13 7 594 937)

After a lot of sweat and lots of effort, I managed to install the parts over the weekend. And boy, the behaviour of the engine is completely changed. The car is no longer so sluggish and the throttle response is so much more responsive than before. In fact, I took it out to the highway and I am little surprised that the cruising RPM @ 100Km/h has even dropped slightly!

I think that the parts are still in working order and hence didn’t throw any fault code – but their performance has degraded over time and the engine is compensating for it by ‘detuning’ itself.

I am still monitoring my fuel consumption – but the characteristic of the car is much improved and I am a happy man! :shakemyb:

Re: Rejuvenating my E93/325i

I drive a E93 325 as well. Just came on 4 years and I have also discovered the car is starting to consume for fuel. I thought it was mainly because of the 19's that I run on the car but what you mentioned makes some sense. I am also looking to spruce up the ride a little. Would be happy to share ideas.

Hi Marlin74, Great to hear from you. I

The parts that i mentioned are readily available from our local stockiest. Just make sure that you get the right part numbers.

\The installation of the MAF is actually quite straight forward. All you need is to remove the 2 Torx screw and detach a cable. And be careful not to touch the metal wire on the MAF.

However, getting access to the ignition coils is quite a pain. There are quite a few steps and a lot of engine cover parts that you need to remove in order to get there...

DIY-Changing spark plugs on e90 330i - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

And one thing that i learnt is to make sure that the wiring socket to the ignition coils are fully inserted into the coils.

Let me know what else you are keen on so that we can share notes. My next project is to replace all the rubber seals on the folding roof. And hopefully, its simple and straight forward!!!

Also, i think this is not just for the E93. Any N52 engine can benefit from this! - However, the usual disclaimers applies!

Hi guys

Which workshop you went to get the parts replaced? Hope you can share more here. Or you may wanna PM me. My ride is a E92 325, the fuel consumption is quite bad and perhaps I can try Wat u guys did. Appreciate!

If DIY is not your cup of tea, just drop into any of the sponsors here in this forum.

Have fun!

cwoon;844759 said:
Hi guys

Which workshop you went to get the parts replaced? Hope you can share more here. Or you may wanna PM me. My ride is a E92 325, the fuel consumption is quite bad and perhaps I can try Wat u guys did. Appreciate!

steppy;845198 said:
If DIY is not your cup of tea, just drop into any of the sponsors here in this forum.

Have fun!

Tks bro ... where did you get the parts from? Pls do PM me if convenient. Tks :dance:

steppy;831522 said:
Hi folks - been around for a while here and this forum. Learnt a lot and this place has been a great resource for me. I guess now it’s for me to contribute back since I have just completed a 'successful' DIY project recently.

First some backgrounder - Given the soaring COE prices, have decided to spend a bit $$ on the ride to spruce it up as it just doesn’t make sense to buy a car now. Ride has just turned 3 years old but is lightly used at only 25k km mileage.

Realised that the car has become sluggish and more thirsty. At first, I thought it could be due to our frequent (almost 99% city) driving pattern. But it was not getting any better. Visited several workshops (including AD) and there was no fault code shown.

Armed with the emission report that VICOM passed to me during the inspection , I realised that the car was running a little rich, compared to my another ride, which is of the same capacity but with direct fuel injection.

I researched on the internet went out to buy the following components:-

a) Hot film Mass Air Flow Sensor x1 (P/N 13 62 7 551 638)
b) Ignition coils x 6 (P/N 12 13 7 594 937)

After a lot of sweat and lots of effort, I managed to install the parts over the weekend. And boy, the behaviour of the engine is completely changed. The car is no longer so sluggish and the throttle response is so much more responsive than before. In fact, I took it out to the highway and I am little surprised that the cruising RPM @ 100Km/h has even dropped slightly!

I think that the parts are still in working order and hence didn’t throw any fault code – but their performance has degraded over time and the engine is compensating for it by ‘detuning’ itself.

I am still monitoring my fuel consumption – but the characteristic of the car is much improved and I am a happy man! :shakemyb:

How much u spend to buy the parts?

cwoon;845924 said:
Tks bro ... where did you get the parts from? Pls do PM me if convenient. Tks :dance:

Hi Bro - Got it from Eng Soon.

DayDreaming;846013 said:
How much u spend to buy the parts?

Apologies, not quite sure about the ignition coils.

But the MAF was around $3xx and also cannot remember the 'xx' also! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdbetjogos
Back