reasonable??

marty

Hi all...
newbie here to Singapore and Singapore car market.

Quick one...is a 318iA registered in 15/10/2003 going for 109,000 (neg) reasonable??
OMV is about 42,000, COE about 32,000.

Mileage approx 8,300

Re: reasonable??

marty said:
Hi all...

Quick one...is a 318iA registered in 15/10/2003 going for 109,000 (neg) reasonable??

Mileage approx 8,300

Sounds way too high...
I remember somebody selling mid 2003 320 for 115K asking price.

ok...let me phrase the question differently...

What would be a reasonable asking price for a 2003/2004 318iA or 320i, all things being avg, like avg mileage, etc etc?
What would be the diff in price if it were purchased privately or through a dealer?

I have seen many many ads and all, for e.g 109k for 318iA registered in 03, 120k for 320i registered in 04.

If I am doing the correct thing when calculating the depreciation (assuming I keep it until the coe runs out), for both, it comes in the region of 10-10.5k/year.

Is that high?

What would be a reasonable depreciation value for a 318 or 320?

I just bought a Jun-2002 318iA for $86,800.
OMV at 35500 and COE at 32001.
Depreciation around $9000.

Is it expensive?

megaclaw said:
I just bought a Jun-2002 318iA for $86,800.
OMV at 35500 and COE at 32001.
Depreciation around $9000.

Is it expensive?

Jun 02 is the 65% parf scheme.
If u work out that depre is $9k, i think its a pretty good deal, esp if there are attached freebies like rims, exhaust etc..
Hope its not a PI though. Mileage, colour etc plays a part also. Generally, black on black fetches a slight premium, as indicated by export prices also.

i think for 318..should be less than 10k. 320 i m not familiar...

no offense to any private seller but many times, private sellers and dealers asking the same price.

I believe that there is always a fair value attached to whatever that we are buying, I like to reason that whatever we buy is usually in the fair value range, any deviation is abnormal and should be investigated. If a car is being sold too high, whats the reason? Profiteering by agents, heavily modded etc?

Similarly, if a car is priced too low, whats the problem? Owners urgent to sell, badly accident car, owner just plain stupid or sometimes the car is just so sway that the owner decides to get rid of it? There is usually a reason to the pricing at hand.

Look out for the current market value by asking around, get a good deal, enjoy the ride, don't worry about finding the cheapest one around, sometimes thats the sort of trouble for being pennies wise pounds foolish.

Good luck!

Winston said:
sometimes thats the sort of trouble for being pennies wise pounds foolish.

Good luck!

Sounds reasonable yr explanation...!!.. but last sentence too cheem for me.. u always wan to test my EnGLish LebeL... u turtle..

Hymics said:
Sounds reasonable yr explanation...!!.. but last sentence too cheem for me.. u always wan to test my EnGLish LebeL... u turtle..
Its an english saying la, a good pc of advise from Winston to Marty, very reasonable.

Hymics said:

Wat Winston kor kor trying to say is :- good things are not cheap, cheap things are not goody is not necessary the case. Dun say i clever hor and your EnGlish Label muchy better than me, dun k k!!! Going back to the question, how muchy depreciation value for 318 and 320 models.

:)

marty said:
Hi all...

Mileage approx 8,300

I think price might not be a good indicator as the OMV and COE varies from month to month. Better to gauge by depreciation per year after factoring in the OMV and the COE of the particular car u are interested in. In my personal view, not more than $9k p.a. for the 318i and not more than $10k p.a. for the 320i wld be reasonable for me but not higher than that as 5 series are depreciating at $10k only.

oneHeadlight said:

This is not confirmed true. Whether 80% or 65% is determined by COE bid date, not car registration date. So, potentially, you can have a car registered in as late as Nov 2002 (since Cat B COE can hold for 6 months) but still under 80%. Log card is the only confirmed source of this.

oneHeadlight said:
If u work out that depre is $9k, i think its a pretty good deal, esp if there are attached freebies like rims, exhaust etc..
Hope its not a PI though. Mileage, colour etc plays a part also. Generally, black on black fetches a slight premium, as indicated by export prices also.

It is bought and serviced from PML. Colour is Black too. The mileage around 37000 Km only. There isn't much add-on freebies. Only the chrome interior trimmings.

I also request to send the car for VICOM test and result is almost perfect except for slight problems with lights alignment and power steering oi seepage.
Also checked the Windows and found that 3 of them not working properly. Got them to send to PML before collecting my car tomorrow.

Question:
Is there anything else to check before collecting my car? How to check the gearbox?
What is likely to fail around 3yrs old?
I am very concerned since the car left about 1 more month warranty from PML.
Pls advise.

I don't know about the e46 but both my previous e36 ( 320 and 328 ) had radiator leaks that needed replacements at 4 years old.
The windscreen wiper reservoir for my e46 320i cracked at 3 years of age.

Back